Proof using the Binomial Theorem

In summary, the conversation discusses a hint given for a homework problem involving expanding and simplifying expressions with binomial coefficients. The conversation also touches on the concept of equating equal powers of x and using the nCr notation to expand expressions. The main focus is on finding the coefficient of x^2 in (1+x)^n and (1+x)^m, and equating it to the coefficient of x^2 in (1+x)^(n+m). The conversation also addresses the first step in proving the solution for part B of the problem.
Karnage1993

Homework Statement

synm0j.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am really stuck, I have no clue how to even begin. For part B I tried changing the RHS to factorials but I was left at a dead end there.

Physics news on Phys.org
They gave you a nice clue for the first part. Expand (1+x)^n and (1+x)^m and multiply them. Then do the equal expression (1+x)^(n+m). Equate equal powers of x.

Dick said:
They gave you a nice clue for the first part. Expand (1+x)^n and (1+x)^m and multiply them. Then do the equal expression (1+x)^(n+m). Equate equal powers of x.

Yes, I get two sums being multiplied together. That part I don't know how to do => simplifying sums multiplied with each other.

Ok, then start simple. (1+x)^3 times (1+x)^3 is the same as (1+x)^6. Write the expansion of them in terms of binomial coefficients, not numbers. Now equate equal powers of x. It's a little tedious, but it's worth doing this if you really don't see what to do.

Dick said:
Ok, then start simple. (1+x)^3 times (1+x)^3 is the same as (1+x)^6. Write the expansion of them in terms of binomial coefficients, not numbers. Now equate equal powers of x. It's a little tedious, but it's worth doing this if you really don't see what to do.

The coefficients would be 1 + 6 + 15 + 20 + 15 + 6 + 1. What do you mean by equate equal powers of x? I am not familiar with that term. Sorry, I'm only a first year student studying Spivak. :)

(1+x)^3=C(3,0)+C(3,1)*x+C(3,2)*x^2+C(3,3)*x^3. I meant expand it like that. I know they are simple numbers but don't write 1, 6, 15 etc. Write C(6,0), C(6,1), C(6,2) etc. That's the only way you are going to see what's going on. And equating equal powers just means if 1+2x+3x^2=a+bx+cx^2 for all x then a=1, b=2 and c=3. That sort of thing.

Dick said:
(1+x)^3=C(3,0)+C(3,1)*x+C(3,2)*x^2+C(3,3)*x^3. I meant expand it like that. I know they are simple numbers but don't write 1, 6, 15 etc. Write C(6,0), C(6,1), C(6,2) etc. That's the only way you are going to see what's going on. And equating equal powers just means if 1+2x+3x^2=a+bx+cx^2 for all x then a=1, b=2 and c=3. That sort of thing.

So you want me to expand (1+x)^3 times (1+x)^3 including the combinations?

If I did that, it would end up being (3C0)*(3C0 + 3C1 + 3C2 + 3C3) etc until I multiplied the other three terms in the first bracket. I still would not know how to simplify even that! What is 3C0 times 3C0 simplified into a combination? The only way I can do that is by getting the actual coefficient, 1, and multiplying it by 1.

Say with 3C2 times 3C2, what would that simplify into using the nCr ?

Let's forget part A for a minute. Focusing on part B, what would be my first step into proofing it? Would I expand the 2n Choose n into factorials?

Karnage1993 said:
So you want me to expand (1+x)^3 times (1+x)^3 including the combinations?

If I did that, it would end up being (3C0)*(3C0 + 3C1 + 3C2 + 3C3) etc until I multiplied the other three terms in the first bracket. I still would not know how to simplify even that! What is 3C0 times 3C0 simplified into a combination? The only way I can do that is by getting the actual coefficient, 1, and multiplying it by 1.

Say with 3C2 times 3C2, what would that simplify into using the nCr ?

What I meant was look at (3C0+3C1*x+3C2*x^2+3C3*x^3)*(3C0+3C1*x+3C2*x^2+3C3*x^3)=(6C0+6C1*x+6C2*x^2+6C3*x^3+6C4*x^4+6C5*x^5+6C6*x^6). The coefficient of x^2 on right side is 6C2=C(3+3,2). To get the coefficient of x^2 of the left side consider all of the products that could give you x^2. That's 3C0*3C2+3C1*3C1+3C2*3C0. Doesn't that look like a). b) follows directly from a) if you put m and l equal to n.

Related to Proof using the Binomial Theorem

1. What is the Binomial Theorem?

The Binomial Theorem is a formula used in algebra to expand binomials. It states that (x + y)^n = Σ(n, k)x^k y^(n-k), where n is a non-negative integer and k ranges from 0 to n.

2. How is the Binomial Theorem used in proofs?

The Binomial Theorem is often used in proofs to simplify expressions involving binomials. It allows us to expand binomials to any power and easily calculate their coefficients.

3. Can the Binomial Theorem be used to solve equations?

Yes, the Binomial Theorem can be used to solve equations by expanding binomials and setting them equal to a known value. This allows us to find the values of the variables in the equation.

4. What is the significance of the Binomial Theorem in mathematics?

The Binomial Theorem has many applications in mathematics, including in algebra, calculus, and probability. It is also used in other fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Binomial Theorem?

While the Binomial Theorem is a powerful tool, it does have limitations. It can only be used for binomials, and the terms in the expansion can become very large for higher powers. Additionally, the Binomial Theorem does not work for non-integer powers.