Proof that Capacitance Coefficient C21=C12

In summary, the problem presents a scenario where two conductors are charged to different potentials and asks to show that the coefficients of capacitance for these conductors are equal. Two charging programs are considered and the total work done by external agencies in each case is computed. The second term in the work done for the first program represents the work needed to hold one conductor at a certain voltage while charging the other, but it is ultimately shown to be zero. The concept of coefficient of capacitance is used to relate the charges on conductors to their potentials and it is proven that C12 and C21 are always equal, demonstrating that there is just one capacitance between any two conductors.
Opus_723

Homework Statement

Show that for two arbitrary conductors the coefficients of capacitance C12 and C21 are always equal.

Hint: Consider a two-conductor system in which the two conductors have been charged so
that their potentials are φ1f and φ2f respectively (f for ”final”). This condition might have been brought about, starting from a state with all charges and potentials zero, in different ways. Two possible ways are of particular interest:

a) Keep φ2 at zero while raising φ1 from zero to φ1f , then raise φ2 from zero to φ2f while
holding φ1 constant at φ1f .
b) Carry out a similar program with the roles of 1 and 2 exchanged.

Compute the total work done by external agencies for each of the two charging programs. Then complete the argument

The Attempt at a Solution

I actually finally gave up and found the solution online. And it's a good thing I did, because even looking at it I still don't understand it. There's this one bit that I can't see where they got it from.

For For φ1 : 0 → φ1f and φ2 = 0 the work done by external agencies is:

[itex]\int[/itex][itex]^{\phi_{1f}}_{0}[/itex]C[itex]_{11}[/itex][itex]\phi^{'}_{1}[/itex]d[itex]\phi[/itex][itex]^{'}_{1}[/itex] + [itex]\int[/itex][itex]^{\phi_{1f}}_{0}[/itex]C[itex]_{21}[/itex][itex]\phi[/itex][itex]_{2}[/itex]d[itex]\phi[/itex][itex]^{'}_{1}[/itex]

Now the first term there makes perfect sense to me, but I have no idea why that second integral is there. Any help understanding what that represents would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
The reason no one has responded is - what the heck is "coefficient of capacitance"?
We're all familiar with mutual inductance being M12 or M21, but I never heard of an equivalent electrostatic "mutuality" between two conductors. There is capacitance between two conductors, is all.

Well, that's okay. I managed to figure it out on my own. The second term is the work that must be done in order to hold one conductor at a particular voltage while you're collecting charge on the other. I was just confused because it turns out to be zero for this first step, but they included the term anyway. It only matters once one conductor is charged and you start to increase the voltage on the other.

In my book, they're using coefficient of capacitance to relate the charges on conductors to their potentials, or to the potentials on other conductors. So that C11 = Q1/V1, C12 = Q1/V2, C21 = Q2/V1, and C22 = Q2/V2, like you're starting from boundary values. The point was to prove that C12 and C21 are always the same, so that there is just one capacitance between any two conductors, as you said.

Related to Proof that Capacitance Coefficient C21=C12

1. What is capacitance coefficient?

Capacitance coefficient, also known as mutual capacitance, is a measure of the amount of electric charge that can be stored between two conductors when a voltage difference exists between them. It is represented by the symbol "C" and is measured in units of farads (F).

2. How is capacitance coefficient calculated?

The capacitance coefficient between two conductors, C21 and C12, can be calculated using the formula C21 = C12 = (Q2 / V1), where Q2 is the charge on the second conductor and V1 is the potential difference between the first conductor and the second conductor.

3. What is the significance of C21=C12 in capacitance coefficient?

The equation C21=C12 means that the capacitance coefficient is symmetrical between the two conductors. This is because the amount of charge stored on one conductor is directly proportional to the potential difference between the two conductors, and this relationship holds true for both conductors.

4. Why is it important to understand the capacitance coefficient C21=C12?

Understanding the relationship between C21 and C12 is crucial in designing and analyzing electrical circuits. It helps in determining the amount of charge that can be stored between two conductors and the resulting electric field strength. This information is essential in optimizing the performance of electronic devices.

5. How does the capacitance coefficient affect the functioning of electronic devices?

The capacitance coefficient has a significant impact on the functioning of electronic devices. It determines the amount of charge that can be stored, the voltage drop between conductors, and the electric field strength. In some devices, such as capacitors, the capacitance coefficient is intentionally increased to store more charge, while in others, such as transmission lines, it is minimized to reduce power losses.