Proof of vailidity of WKB approximation Please help

In summary, the conversation discusses the WKB approximation and its mathematical conditions. The WKB approximation is derived from the time-independent Schrodinger equation and is valid when the potential is smooth and the wave function oscillates more rapidly than the potential varies. It is also applicable in the boundary between classical and quantum mechanics. The validity of the WKB approximation is supported by the Berry and Mount article.
metalrose
Hi,

I have been looking for rigorous mathematical conditions for when the WKB approximation may be applied.

Here is my understanding of the topic.

We start with the most general form that the wavefunction could take, i.e. exp[if(x)/h] ,
Where "i" stands for square root of -1, f(x) is some real function of x, h stands for "h bar",that is the original Planck's constant divide by 2pi.

Any complex function of x can be written this way.

Now we express f(x) as a series in powers of "h bar", i.e.

f(x) = f0 + hf1 + h2f2 + ...

Where again "h" actually stands for "h bar" .

We now put this wave function into schrodinger's one dimensional equation to find various relations.

Now in this entire process, here comes the WKB "approximation" , the approximation being, to neglect h2 dependant and all higher terms in the expansion of f(x) i.e. to take f(x) to be
f(x) = f0 + hf1

My question: when can we do so ? That is, mathematically, when can we ignore h2 and higher order terms ?

Physics news on Phys.org
The time-independent Schrodinger Equation in one dimension is (-ħ2/2m) ψ'' + V(x)ψ = Eψ. More simply, let k(x) = (2m(E - V(x))½/ħ, then ψ'' + k2(x)ψ'' = 0.

The physical significance of k(x) is that it is a "local wavenumber". If V(x) ≈ const, ψ ~ eikx, and k(x) tells us how rapidly ψ is oscillating at that point.

If V(x) is not const, it also has a characteristic length, V'(x)/V(x) ~ 1/ℓ. The WKB approximation is valid when ψ oscillates much more rapidly than V varies, that is, kℓ >> 1.

The tricky point about the WKB approximation is that the series in h does not converge, not even in the limit h to 0.
This is the characteristic of a so called "asymptotic series": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asymptotic_series
Nevertheless these series, when truncated, are often very accurate.

Another issue is that V has to be sufficiently smooth in the classically allowed region. If this isn't true, then you can get reflections at discontinuities in the classically allowed region. I don't know the exact condition on V or how to prove rigorously that such a condition is necessary or sufficient. We had a thread on this recently: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=681988 Although I got some helpful responses, I was never able to resolve this particular technical issue to my own satisfaction.

Another issue is that V has to be sufficiently smooth in the classically allowed region.
That's correct. The WKB approximation is only useful for slowly varying potentials.
The WKB approximation is valid when ψ oscillates much more rapidly than V varies, that is, kℓ >> 1.

wkb approximation goes to the boundary of classical and quantum mechanics.It holds in the realm of when the action integral can be approximated by the classical integral.Also the condition kl>>1 implies that wavelengths are small compared to size of object i.e. just as in optics we go with ray diagram when the condition holds.

Related to Proof of vailidity of WKB approximation Please help

1. What is the WKB approximation method?

The WKB (Wentzel–Kramers–Brillouin) approximation is a mathematical method used to solve problems in quantum mechanics by approximating solutions to the Schrödinger equation. It is based on the assumption that the wavefunction can be expressed as a product of an exponential term and a slowly varying function.

2. How is the WKB approximation used to prove the validity of solutions?

The WKB approximation is used to prove the validity of solutions by comparing the approximate solutions to the exact solutions of the Schrödinger equation. If the approximate solutions are close to the exact solutions, then the WKB approximation is considered to be valid.

3. What are the limitations of the WKB approximation method?

The WKB approximation method is limited to problems with slowly varying potentials and wavefunctions. It also becomes less accurate for higher energy levels and in regions of high potential gradient.

4. Can the WKB approximation be used for all quantum mechanical problems?

No, the WKB approximation is only applicable to problems in quantum mechanics that can be described by the Schrödinger equation. It cannot be used for problems that involve relativistic effects or other quantum mechanical phenomena such as tunneling.

5. How does the WKB approximation relate to the classical limit?

The WKB approximation is often referred to as the semiclassical approximation because it is based on the idea that quantum systems can be described using classical mechanics in the limit of large quantum numbers. This means that for systems with large quantum numbers, the WKB approximation becomes more accurate and approaches the classical solution.