How Do Temperatures Equalize in a Partially Adiabatic Cylindrical Gas System?

In summary: The temperature in the adiabatic section can change because the barrier can move. The barrier can slide along the cylinder, and so the temperature inside the adiabatic section can change.
Gianmarco

Homework Statement

A cylindrical container with rigid walls is divided in two sections by a barrier with negligible mass that is free to move without friction along the axis of the cylinder. The barrier is adiabatic and so is half of the cylinder while the other half let's heat through. The cylinder contains ##n = 2\:mol## of perfect monatomic gas distributed in the two sections. Initially the container is in contact with the environment at ##T_0=300\:K## and the barrier is at equilibrium in the center. The cylinder is then put in contact with a reservoir at ##T_f = 280\:K## and the barrier is at equilibrium in a place such that the ratio of the volumes of the two sections is ##R = \frac{10}{9}##. Calculate the initial temperatures in the two sections of the cylinder

Homework Equations

PV = nRT

The Attempt at a Solution

So we are not given the amount of moles in each section, but we know that since we are at equilibrium in both initial and final states, then ##P_{1i} = P_{2i}## and ##P_{1f} = P_{2f}##. So, since at the beginning the volumes are the same because the barrier is in the middle: ##P_{1i}V_{1i} =P_{2i}V_{2i} \rightarrow n_1T_{1i}=n_2T_{2i}\\ T_{1i}=\frac{n_2}{n_1}T_{2i}##
The final state is what confuses me. I wasn't able to find out the respective values of ##n_1,\:n_2## so I looked through the solutions and it says that ##T_{1f} = T_{2f}=280\:K## when the system reaches equilibrium in contact with the reservoir. How is this possible? Shouldn't only the non-adiabatic section be at T = 280 K?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well if its the same gas on both sides, and you know it is at equilibrium, and you know the volume ratio, you should be able to determine the mole ratio.

Also, just because the barrier is adiabatic, this does not imply that the temperature on the adiabatic side of the cylinder can't change. The problem says the barrier can move, so the internal energy can change by work being done (the barrier sliding means compression/expansion) even though no heat can flow into that region.

Yes I have the volume ratio. But if I don't know that ##T_{1f} = T_{2f}## I can't determine the mole ratio. It is at equilibrium so ##P_{1f}V_{1f}=n_1RT_{1f}## and ##P_{2f}V_{2f}=n_2RT_{2f}##. By taking the ratio of these two equations I get ##\frac{10}{9}=\frac{n_1T_{1f}}{n_2T_{2f}}##. There's nothing I can do here unless I know that ##T_{1f} = T_{2f}##

Brian T said:
Also, just because the barrier is adiabatic, this does not imply that the temperature on the adiabatic side of the cylinder can't change. The problem says the barrier can move, so the internal energy can change by work being done (the barrier sliding means compression/expansion) even though no heat can flow into that region.
I see what you are saying and I agree. The problem is that the solution explicitly says that the temperature is the same in both sections because all the gas is in contact with the reservoir. I don't understand how the gas in the adiabatic section could be in contact with the reservoir, it makes no sense to me. Also the transformation is supposed to be irreversible so I can't even use the equations of adiabatic transformations to find the temperature

Related to How Do Temperatures Equalize in a Partially Adiabatic Cylindrical Gas System?

1. What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the branch of science that deals with the relationships between heat, energy, and work. It studies how these properties affect the behavior of matter and how they can be manipulated to perform useful tasks.

2. What are the laws of thermodynamics?

The laws of thermodynamics are fundamental principles that govern the behavior of energy and matter. The first law states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only converted from one form to another. The second law states that the total entropy of a closed system will always increase over time. The third law states that the entropy of a perfect crystal at absolute zero temperature is zero.

3. What is an example of a thermodynamics problem?

One example of a thermodynamics problem is calculating the efficiency of a heat engine. This involves using the first and second laws of thermodynamics to determine how much work can be generated from a given amount of heat energy.

4. What is the difference between open and closed systems in thermodynamics?

In thermodynamics, an open system is one that can exchange both matter and energy with its surroundings, while a closed system can only exchange energy. This means that open systems can have a net change in mass, while closed systems cannot.

5. How is thermodynamics used in everyday life?

Thermodynamics has numerous applications in everyday life, including in the design and operation of refrigerators, air conditioners, and power plants. It is also used in the study of weather patterns and climate change, as well as in materials science and chemical reactions.