Proof of f(b)<g(b) Using the Mean Value Theorem

In summary, by applying the Mean Value Theorem to the function h=f-g, it is shown that f(b)-g(b)<0, thus proving that f(b)<g(b). This is because the derivative of h is negative, given that f '(x)<g '(x) for a<x<b.
tempneff
1. Suppose that f and g are continuous on [a,b] and differentiable on (a,b). Suppose also that f(a)=g(a) and f '(x)<g '(x) for a<x<b. Prove that f(b)<g(b). [Hint: Apply the Mean Value Theorem to the function h=f-g].
2. {[f(b)-f(a)]\b-a}=f'(c)
I know:
If h(x) = f(x) - g(x) then
h(a) = f(a) - g(a) = 0 and
h is continuous on [a,b] differentiable on (a,b) so Mean Value Theorem applies
[h(b) - h(a)] / (b - a) = h'(c) for some c in (a,b). Therefore
[(f(b) - g(b)) - 0] / (b - a) = h'(c) and
h'(c)=f'(c) - g'(c) which is < 0 because f '(x)<g '(x) for a<x<b.
So [(f(b) - g(b)) - 0] / (b - a) < 0
Now...
I believe that f(b) - g(b) < 0 but I can't prove it. Any tips

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Everything is correct. So you've got

[tex]\frac{f(b)-g(b)}{b-a}<0[/tex]

Now you need that f(b)-g(b)<0. You know that b-a>0...

I know I am missing something very simple, but how can I say that b-a>0 just because a<x<b??
what is b= -1 and a= -2 then b-a <0?? I know it is something so insignificant ...

If b=-1 and a=-2, then b-a=-1-(-2)=-1+2=1>0.
If b>a, then it is always true that b-a>0. Just add -a to both sides...

I am a moron.

Related to Proof of f(b)<g(b) Using the Mean Value Theorem

1. What is the Mean Value Theorem?

The Mean Value Theorem is a fundamental theorem in calculus that states that for a continuous and differentiable function on a closed interval, there exists at least one point where the slope of the tangent line is equal to the average rate of change of the function over that interval.

2. How is the Mean Value Theorem used in problem solving?

The Mean Value Theorem is used to prove the existence of solutions to certain types of problems in calculus, such as finding the maximum or minimum values of a function or determining the behavior of a function at a particular point.

3. Can the Mean Value Theorem be applied to all functions?

No, the Mean Value Theorem can only be applied to functions that are continuous and differentiable on a closed interval. If a function is not continuous or differentiable, the theorem cannot be applied.

4. What is the difference between the Mean Value Theorem and the Intermediate Value Theorem?

While both the Mean Value Theorem and the Intermediate Value Theorem are fundamental theorems in calculus, they are used for different purposes. The Mean Value Theorem is used to prove the existence of solutions to problems involving rates of change, while the Intermediate Value Theorem is used to prove the existence of solutions to problems involving finding roots of a function.

5. How do I know if the Mean Value Theorem can be applied to a specific problem?

In order for the Mean Value Theorem to be applied, the function must be continuous and differentiable on a closed interval. You can determine this by checking if the function has any points of discontinuity or if it has any sharp turns or corners. If the function meets these criteria, then the Mean Value Theorem can be applied.