Proof of Conjugate Cycles Property of Permutations

In summary: This shows $\pi\alpha\pi^{-1}$ is the cycle $(\pi(a_{1}),\dots,\pi(a_{s}))$. Therefore, in summary, we have proven that if $\alpha=(a_{1},\dots,a_{s})$ is a cycle and $\pi$ is a permutation in $\mathcal{S}_{n}$, then $\pi\alpha\pi^{-1}$ is the cycle $(\pi(a_{1}),\dots,\pi(a_{s}))$.
Kiwi1
Prove:

Let [tex]\alpha = (a_1,...,a_s)[/tex] be a cycle and let [tex]\pi[/tex] be a permutation in Sn. Then [tex]\pi \alpha \pi ^{-1}[/tex] is the cycle [tex](\pi(a_1), ... \pi(a_s))[/tex]

My attempt.
[tex](\pi \alpha \pi ^{-1})^s = (\pi \alpha^s \pi ^{-1})=e[/tex] so if this thing is a cycle and its length divides s.

Assume [tex]\pi (a_1)[/tex] is a member of the cycle. Then:

[tex]\pi \alpha \pi ^{-1}(\pi (a_1))=\pi (a_2)[/tex]

and

[tex]\pi \alpha \pi ^{-1}(\pi (a_i))=\pi (a_{i+1})[/tex] for [tex] 1 \leq i < s[/tex]

and finally

[tex]\pi (a_{s+1})=\pi \alpha \pi ^{-1}(\pi (a_s))=\pi(a_1)[/tex] (validating the assumption)

I think I have all of the components of a proof here. But how can I make it more rigorous?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

You got it, but if you want to see another way of writing it, I would have do the following.

Let $s_{1},\ldots,s_{n}$ be all the elements on $\mathcal{S}_{n}$.

If $s_{i}\neq a_{j}$ for any $j$, then $\pi\alpha\pi^{-1}(s_{i})=s_{i}$.

If $s_{i}=a_{j}$ for some $j$, then $\pi\alpha\pi^{-1}(s_{i})=a_{j+1}$ (Here we denote $a_{1}=a_{s+1}$).

And that's all.

Related to Proof of Conjugate Cycles Property of Permutations

1. What is the proof of conjugate cycles property of permutations?

The proof of conjugate cycles property of permutations states that any permutation can be expressed as a product of disjoint cycles, and this representation is unique up to the order and the order of the cycles.

2. Why is the proof of conjugate cycles property important in mathematics?

The proof of conjugate cycles property is important because it allows us to understand and analyze permutations in a more structured and organized manner. It also provides a way to easily compute the inverse of a permutation and perform other operations on permutations.

3. How is the proof of conjugate cycles property used in real-world applications?

The proof of conjugate cycles property has various applications in different fields such as cryptography, coding theory, and network analysis. In cryptography, it is used in the design of secure encryption algorithms. In coding theory, it is used to construct error-correcting codes. In network analysis, it is used to study the structure and dynamics of complex networks.

4. Can you give an example of how the proof of conjugate cycles property is applied in mathematics?

An example of how the proof of conjugate cycles property is applied is in the computation of the determinant of a matrix. The determinant can be expressed as a product of disjoint cycles, where the sign of each cycle is determined by the number of transpositions required to switch the elements in the cycle to their original positions. This allows for an efficient and systematic way to compute the determinant.

5. Are there any limitations to the proof of conjugate cycles property?

One limitation of the proof of conjugate cycles property is that it only applies to finite permutations. It cannot be extended to infinite permutations. Additionally, it does not provide a method for determining the order of a permutation, which can be challenging to compute in some cases.