Proof of Cauchy's Theorem for Finite Groups

In summary: This means that there exists an element b in G such that b is not in the centralizer of a and the order of b is not divisible by p. Now, from the previous exercise mentioned in the proof, we know that if H is a normal subgroup of G, then the order of the element Ha in G/H is a divisor of the order of a in G. So, the order of b in G/Ca is a divisor of the order of a in G, which is not divisible by p. Therefore, the order of b in G/Ca must also not be divisible by p. This means that the order of b in G/Ca is a prime factor of k that is not
jmjlt88
I know that this is a lot, but I would love some help. My trouble is at the end of Part II.

Theorem (Cauchy’s Theorem): Let G be a finite group, and let p be a prime divisor of the order of G, then G has element of order p.
Proof: Suppose G is a finite group. Let the order of G be k. Let p be any prime divisor of k. Our goal is to prove that G has an element of order p. We shall do so by dividing our claim into two parts: one where G is abelian and one where G is not abelian.

Part I: G is abelian.

First, we shall suppose G is abelian. We will prove our claim for this case by induction. If k=1, then our claim is true trivially. Now, suppose that our claim is true for abelian finite groups of order n, where n is less than k.

Take any a in G, where a ≠ e. Then, if the order of a is p, then we are done. Suppose the order of a is a multiple of p. That is, aqp=e for some integer q. But then, the order of aq is p and, again, we are done. Thus, suppose the order of a is not equal to a multiple of p. Now, let us consider the group G/<a>. First, let |<a>|=n (and consequently, n will also be the order of a) and note that, by Lagrange’s Theorem, n|k. We recall that this quotient group is the group of all cosets of <a> in G. Thus, |G/<a>|=(G:<a>)= k/n. Next, note that if n=k, the n is a multiple of p, which is a contradiction! Thus, n<k. Now, let k=ln, where l is an integer. Since p|k, then p|ln, but p does not divide n, hence, p|l, and l is the order of G/<a>. Now, we have that G/<a> has order l<k and prime divisor p. Thus, by our assumption G/<a> has an element of order p. From a previous exercise, we have shown that if H is a normal subgroup of a group G, then the order of the element Ha in G/H is a divisor of the order of a in G. Thus, since p is the order of an element in G/<a>, say x<a>, p must also be a divisor of an element in G, namely x. Then, let m be the order of x. Then, m=qp for some integer q. That is, xm=xqp=e. This implies that xq in G has order p, which is our desire result.

Part II: G is not abelian. Now, we suppose G is not abelian with order k. Again, we will proceed with induction. The case for k=1 remains true by default. Thus, suppose that our claim is true for any finite nonabelian group G with order n<k. Let C be the center of G for each a in G, let Ca be the centralizer. Let us recall our class equation for G. If |C|=c, then, |G|=k=c+ks+….+ kt.

Suppose is p is not a factor of | Ca| for any a in G, where a is not in the center. Consider the quotient group G/ Ca. There a one-to-one correspondence between the set of all conjugates of a and the set of all cosets of Ca. That is, the set of all cosets of the centralizer give rises to a partition of G. Now, let n be the order of Ca. Then, | G/ Ca| = (G: Ca)= k/n. Now, if n=k, then p divides n, which is a contradiction. Hence, n<k. Let k=ln for some integer l. We note that l is the order of G/ Ca. We also note that p|l since p|k and p|ln, but p does not divide n. Since p divides | G/Ca|=(G/Ca) for each a in G, a ,not the center, every conjugacy class is a multiple of p [Remember, our bijection between the conjugacy classes of a and the cosets of Ca]. Then, |G|=k=c+ks+….+ kt =c+q1p+…qnp for integers q1,…,qn.

If we solve for c we observe that we get k-q1p…-qnp=c. We can factor the prime p out of everything on the right. Leaving p times an integer equal to c. Thus, p is a factor of c. ...
_______________________End Attempt__________________________

I am having a hard time expressing why G has an element of order p from this. Any hints? By the way, after I finish this, would anyone care to share a "slick" verison of this proof.

Also, this proof is developed from a series of questions in Pinter's book. I wanted to make one cohesive proof to make it my own in a sense. :) At least I tried!**Edit: I wanted to add that this is a type up from my notebook. There may be typos!

Physics news on Phys.org
I didn't check Part I because you said the trouble was in Part II. After the part
Now, we suppose G is not abelian with order k. Again, we will proceed with induction. The case for k=1 remains true by default. Thus, suppose that our claim is true for any finite nonabelian group G with order n<k. Let C be the center of G for each a in G, let Ca be the centralizer. Let us recall our class equation for G. If |C|=c, then, |G|=k=c+ks+….+ kt.
, I would proceed as follows:
Firstly, suppose [itex]c[/itex] is divisible by [itex]p[/itex]. Because [itex]C \neq G[/itex], we may use the induction hypothesis to find an element of order [itex]p[/itex] in [itex]C[/itex]. This element also has order [itex]p[/itex] in [itex]G[/itex].
Suppose then that [itex]c[/itex] is not divisible by [itex]p[/itex]. From the class equation you can conclude that there must be a conjugacy class [itex]Cl(a)[/itex] with [itex]a \notin C[/itex] such that [itex]|Cl(a)|[/itex] is not divisible by [itex]p[/itex]. We have the equality (from your one-to-one correspondence) [itex]k = |Cl(a)| \cdot |C_a|[/itex]. Thus [itex]|C_a|[/itex] is divisible by [itex]p[/itex]. Because [itex]a \notin C[/itex], [itex]C_a \neq G[/itex], and we may apply the induction hypothesis to [itex]C_a[/itex].

The proof you give is the 'slickest' one I know of that uses only very elementary techniques. A more general result, from which Cauchy's theorem follows directly, is Sylow's theorem (there are actually 3). Sylow's first theorem states the following:
Let [itex]G[/itex] be a finite group. Write [itex]|G| = p^r m[/itex], where [itex]p[/itex] is a certain prime number and [itex]r,m \in \mathbb{N}[/itex]. For each [itex]0 \leq s \leq r[/itex] there exists a subgroup [itex]H[/itex] of [itex]G[/itex] with [itex]|H| = p^s[/itex].

Related to Proof of Cauchy's Theorem for Finite Groups

1. What is Cauchy's Theorem for Finite Groups?

Cauchy's Theorem for Finite Groups states that if a prime number divides the order of a finite group, then the group contains an element of that prime order.

2. What is the significance of Cauchy's Theorem for Finite Groups?

Cauchy's Theorem is significant because it allows us to identify and understand the structure of finite groups. It also has important applications in other areas of mathematics, such as group theory and number theory.

3. How is Cauchy's Theorem for Finite Groups proven?

The proof of Cauchy's Theorem involves using the group action of a group on itself, along with the Orbit-Stabilizer Theorem. This allows us to show that the number of elements of a prime order in a group is a multiple of that prime, and therefore, there must be at least one element of that prime order in the group.

4. Can Cauchy's Theorem be extended to infinite groups?

No, Cauchy's Theorem only applies to finite groups. There are similar theorems for infinite groups, such as Sylow's Theorems, but they have different conditions and proofs.

5. What are some examples of using Cauchy's Theorem for Finite Groups?

Cauchy's Theorem can be used to prove other theorems, such as Lagrange's Theorem which states that the order of a subgroup divides the order of the group. It can also be used to classify finite abelian groups and to determine the structure of certain types of groups, such as cyclic and dihedral groups.