Proof of Aut(G): ϕ(Z(G))= Z(G)

In summary, for every automorphism ϕ in G, the set of elements that commute with every element in G, Z(G), is equal to the set of elements that commute with every element in G under the automorphism ϕ, ϕ(Z(G)). To prove this, we can use the fact that an automorphism has an inverse, and show that for every element in Z(G), there exists an element in ϕ(Z(G)) that commutes with all elements in G, and vice versa.
mykayla10

Homework Statement

For every ϕ in Aut(G), ϕ(Z(G))= Z(G).

Homework Equations

Z(G):={g in G| gh=hg for all h in G}

The Attempt at a Solution

I haven't made too much progress on this one. I know that if I let g be an element of Z(G) that I need to prove that For every ϕ(g) is also and element of Z(G), which means I need to prove that for every h in G ϕ(g)h=hϕ(g). I just do not know where to go from there. I also do not even know where to begin in proving that Z(G) is an element of ϕ(Z(G)) so that I can completely prove the equality.

Physics news on Phys.org
You know that phi is an automorphism. Which means that there is an element j of G such that phi(j)=h. Can you use that to prove phi(g)h=hphi(g)?

mykayla10 said:

Homework Statement

For every ϕ in Aut(G), ϕ(Z(G))= Z(G).

Homework Equations

Z(G):={g in G| gh=hg for all h in G}

The Attempt at a Solution

I haven't made too much progress on this one. I know that if I let g be an element of Z(G) that I need to prove that For every ϕ(g) is also and element of Z(G), which means I need to prove that for every h in G ϕ(g)h=hϕ(g). I just do not know where to go from there.

Do you mean: I need to prove that [tex] \phi(Z(G)) \subseteq Z(G) [/tex]?
That involves proving for each [tex] x \in G[/tex], [tex] x \in \phi(Z(G)) [/tex] implies [tex] x \in Z(G) [/tex].
Let [tex] x \in \phi(Z(G)) [/tex] Then there exists a [tex] g \in Z(G) [/tex] such that [tex] x = \phi(g) [/tex] because [tex] x [/tex] is in the image of [tex] Z(G) [/tex] under the mapping [tex] \phi [/tex]. (Now you have your [tex] \phi(g) [/tex] to work with.)

Then do the part involving [tex] h [/tex].

Since [tex] \phi [/tex] s an automorphism, there exists an element [tex] r [/tex] such that [tex] \phi^{-1}(h) = r [/tex]. Show [tex] gr = rg [/tex]. Then look at [tex] \phi(rg) = \phi(gr) [/tex]

I also do not even know where to begin in proving that Z(G) is an element of ϕ(Z(G)) so that I can completely prove the equality.

You mean "is a subset".

Let [tex] g \in Z(G)[/tex]. Look at [tex] x = \phi^{-1}(g) [/tex] Show [tex] x [/tex] commutes with all elements [tex] r \in G [/tex] That proves that [tex] g [/tex] is the image of an element in [tex] Z(G) [/tex] , so [tex] g \in \phi(Z(G)) [/tex]

Related to Proof of Aut(G): ϕ(Z(G))= Z(G)

What is Aut(G)?

Aut(G) refers to the automorphism group of a group G, which is the set of all isomorphisms from G to itself. In simpler terms, it is the group of all possible ways to rearrange the elements of G while preserving the group structure.

What does ϕ(Z(G)) represent in "Proof of Aut(G): ϕ(Z(G))= Z(G)"?

ϕ(Z(G)) represents the image of the center of the group G under the automorphism ϕ. In other words, it is the set of all elements in G that are mapped to themselves under the automorphism ϕ.

What is Z(G) in "Proof of Aut(G): ϕ(Z(G))= Z(G)"?

Z(G) refers to the center of the group G, which is the set of elements that commute with all other elements in G. In other words, Z(G) is the set of all elements in G that can be moved around without affecting the group operation.

What does it mean for ϕ(Z(G)) to equal Z(G)?

If ϕ(Z(G)) equals Z(G), it means that the image of the center of G under the automorphism ϕ is equal to the center of G itself. This relationship is important in the proof of Aut(G), as it helps to show that the automorphism group is a subgroup of G.

Why is "Proof of Aut(G): ϕ(Z(G))= Z(G)" significant?

This proof is significant because it helps to establish a fundamental relationship between the center of a group and its automorphism group. It also helps to show that the automorphism group is a subgroup of the original group, which has important implications for the structure and properties of both groups.