Proof of (A+B)^2 = A^2 + 2AB + B^2 for Matrix Algebra

In summary, the conversation discusses the proof that (A + B)^2 = A^2 + 2AB + B^2 and (I + A)^2 = I + 2A + A^2 for n x n matrices A and B when AB = BA. The proof relies on the distributive property and simplifying using the identity matrix I. Further detail is needed in the expansion of (I + A)(I + A).
Kavorka
This problem is so simple that I'm not exactly sure what they want you to do:

Let A and B be n x n matrices such that AB = BA. Show that (A + B)^2 = A^2 + 2AB + B^2. Conclude that (I + A)^2 = I + 2A + A^2.

We don't need to list properties or anything, just manipulate. This all seems self-evident from the distributive property, and showing that I^2 = I.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
If AB = BA
and (A+B)^2 = (A+B)(A+B)
then the rest more or less falls into place.

So AB = BA
(A+B)(A+B) = A^2 + 2AB + B^2
AI=IA=A
II = I
(I+A)(I+A) = I^2 + 2AI + A^2 = I + 2A + A^2

Would this probably be what they're looking for? Not sure how much more in detail I can go

Kavorka said:
So AB = BA
I think you need some more detail here. Is it important that AB = BA in your proof?
Kavorka said:
AI=IA=A
II = I
I think you need some more detail here as well, particularly in how you expand (I + A)(I + A).
Kavorka said:
Would this probably be what they're looking for? Not sure how much more in detail I can go

Kavorka said:
So AB = BA
AI=IA=A
II = I

First of all, great name. Then, like Mark said, just expand the product term-by-term, without grouping.

Related to Proof of (A+B)^2 = A^2 + 2AB + B^2 for Matrix Algebra

What is the formula for proving (A+B)^2 = A^2 + 2AB + B^2 in matrix algebra?

The formula for proving (A+B)^2 = A^2 + 2AB + B^2 in matrix algebra is based on the distributive property of matrix multiplication. It states that for matrices A, B, and C, A(B+C) = AB + AC.

What is the significance of proving (A+B)^2 = A^2 + 2AB + B^2 in matrix algebra?

The significance of proving (A+B)^2 = A^2 + 2AB + B^2 in matrix algebra is that it allows us to simplify complex expressions involving matrices. This is useful in various fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science.

Can the formula (A+B)^2 = A^2 + 2AB + B^2 be applied to any type of matrices?

Yes, the formula (A+B)^2 = A^2 + 2AB + B^2 can be applied to any type of matrices as long as the dimensions of the matrices allow for the operations to be performed. However, it is important to note that matrix algebra has specific rules and properties that must be followed for the formula to be valid.

What are the key steps to proving (A+B)^2 = A^2 + 2AB + B^2 in matrix algebra?

The key steps to proving (A+B)^2 = A^2 + 2AB + B^2 in matrix algebra are:
1. Expand the left side of the equation using the distributive property.
2. Simplify the resulting expression by combining like terms.
3. Use the commutative and associative properties to rearrange terms.
4. Compare the simplified expression to the right side of the equation and conclude that the two sides are equal.

Can the formula (A+B)^2 = A^2 + 2AB + B^2 be extended to higher powers?

Yes, the formula (A+B)^2 = A^2 + 2AB + B^2 can be extended to higher powers using the binomial theorem. This allows us to expand expressions like (A+B)^3 and (A+B)^4 and so on. However, the resulting expressions become more complex and may require additional steps to simplify.