Proof of 2nd Derivative of a Sum of a Geometric Series

In summary, the conversation is about proving a mathematical expression involving a summation and understanding the correct notation for the starting index of the sum. The person is confused about their solution and is seeking help to understand where they went wrong.
hmph

Homework Statement

I am trying to prove how \(g''(r)=\sum\limits_{k=2}^\infty ak(k-1)r^{k-2}=0+0+2a+6ar+\cdots=\dfrac{2a}{(1-r)^3}=2a(1-r)^{-3}\).

I don't know what I am doing wrong and am at my wits end.

The Attempt at a Solution

(The index of the summation is always k=2 to infinity)

Ʃak(k-1)r^(k-1)
=a Ʃ k(k-1)r^(k-2)
=a Ʃ (r^k)''
=a (r^2 / (1-r)''

From this point I get a mess, and the incorrect answer. The thing I have a problem is I think Ʃ (r^k)'' when k is from 2 to infinity is r^2/(1-r), since the first term in this sequence is r^2. I don't think that is correct though

Physics news on Phys.org
hmph said:

Homework Statement

I am trying to prove how [itex]g''(r)=\sum\limits_{k=2}^\infty ak(k-1)r^{k-2}=0+0+2a+6ar+\cdots=\dfrac{2a}{(1-r)^3}=2a(1-r)^{-3}[/itex].

I don't know what I am doing wrong and am at my wits end.

The Attempt at a Solution

(The index of the summation is always k=2 to infinity)

Ʃak(k-1)r^(k-1)
=a Ʃ k(k-1)r^(k-2)
=a Ʃ (r^k)''
=a (r^2 / (1-r)''

From this point I get a mess, and the incorrect answer. The thing I have a problem is I think Ʃ (r^k)'' when k is from 2 to infinity is r^2/(1-r), since the first term in this sequence is r^2. I don't think that is correct though
To fix your LaTeX expression, I inserted the correct tags, itex and /itex in [ ] brackets.

Since the sum starts at k=2, you would not have those first two zero terms. It would be:

[itex]g''(r)=\sum\limits_{k=2}^\infty ak(k-1)r^{k-2}=2a+6ar+\cdots=\dfrac{2a}{(1-r)^3}=2a(1-r)^{-3}[/itex]

So, what is it that you're supposed to be proving ?

it turns out that what i was doing was actually correct

Related to Proof of 2nd Derivative of a Sum of a Geometric Series

1. What is the formula for finding the proof of the 2nd derivative of a sum of a geometric series?

The formula for finding the proof of the 2nd derivative of a sum of a geometric series is: d2/dx2 = a1r2 + 2a2r + 3a3r2 + ... + nanrn-1.

2. How is the proof of the 2nd derivative of a sum of a geometric series derived?

The proof of the 2nd derivative of a sum of a geometric series is derived using the formula for the sum of a geometric series: Sn = a1(1 - rn)/(1 - r), where a1 is the first term, r is the common ratio, and n is the number of terms. By taking the second derivative of this formula and simplifying, we can derive the above formula.

3. What is the significance of the proof of the 2nd derivative of a sum of a geometric series?

The proof of the 2nd derivative of a sum of a geometric series is significant because it allows us to determine the rate of change of a geometric series at any given point. This is useful in various fields such as finance, physics, and engineering.

4. Can the proof of the 2nd derivative of a sum of a geometric series be applied to infinite series?

Yes, the proof of the 2nd derivative of a sum of a geometric series can be applied to infinite series. However, in order to do so, we must use the limit of the formula as n approaches infinity.

5. How is the proof of the 2nd derivative of a sum of a geometric series used in real-life applications?

The proof of the 2nd derivative of a sum of a geometric series is used in real-life applications to model and analyze various phenomena that follow a geometric pattern. This includes compound interest calculations, population growth, and radioactive decay, among others.