Proof of 1/(1-x) = 1 + x + x2 + x3 + ... + xn/(1-x) by Induction

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of proving the equation 1/(1-x) = 1 + x + x^2 + x^3 + ... + x^n/(1-x) for n>=2. The base case and induction hypothesis are provided, but there is difficulty in determining the n+1 case. Suggestions are made to manipulate the n case or the n+1 case to show the other, and using the difference between the two to prove the equation.

Homework Statement

Prove that 1/(1-x) = 1 + x + x2 + x3 + ... + xn/(1-x) for n>=2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not really all that sure how to begin. The base case would be 1/(1-x) = x2/(1-x) and the induction hypothesis would be 1/(1-x) = 1 + x + x2 + x3 + ... + xn/(1-x) but I don't know what the n+1 case is and how to prove that it holds. I guess the n+1 case would logically be 1/(1-x) = 1 + x + x2 + x3 + ... + xn/(1-x) + xn+1/(x-1), but I don't know how to show algebraically that the left hand side equals the right hand side.

Physics news on Phys.org
shouldn't the base case be
1/(1-x) =1+x+ x2/(1-x)

it might be worth rearranging
1/(1-x)- x2/(1-x)=1+x

now try multiplying through by (1-x) on both sides

now basically you want to show the "n" case implies the "n+1" case to get the induction. To do this either manipulate the n case to show "n+1" case or vice versa
1/(1-x) = 1 + x + x2 + x3 + ... + xn/(1-x) + xn+1/(x-1)

Yes, I see the correction in my error of the base case...got it now.

However, I'm still not getting the n+1 case. So the induction hypothesis is 1/(1-x) = 1 + x + x^2 + ... x^n/(1-x). I want to show 1/(1-x) = 1 + x + x^2 + ... + x^n/(1-x) + x^(n+1)/(1-x). ...

Basically for the n case 1-x^n = (1-x)(1 + x + x^2 + ... + x^n-1)

Last edited:
The n+1 case is 1/(1-x)=1+x+x^2+...+x^n+x^(n+1)/(1-x), isn't it? Take the difference between the "n" case and the "n+1" case and show it's zero.

Related to Proof of 1/(1-x) = 1 + x + x2 + x3 + ... + xn/(1-x) by Induction

1. What is the proof of 1/(1-x) = 1 + x + x2 + x3 + ... + xn/(1-x) by Induction?

The proof by induction shows that the given equation is true for all natural numbers n starting from 1. This means that the equation holds for n = 1, and if it holds for any number k, then it also holds for k+1.

2. Why is induction used to prove this equation?

Induction is used because it is a powerful method of proof that allows us to prove statements for infinitely many cases. In this case, we are proving the equation for all natural numbers n, which is an infinite set.

3. What is the base case in the proof of 1/(1-x) = 1 + x + x2 + x3 + ... + xn/(1-x) by Induction?

The base case in this proof is when n = 1. This means we need to show that the equation holds for n = 1, which is equivalent to proving 1/(1-x) = 1 + x. This can be easily verified by substituting n = 1 into the equation.

4. What is the inductive step in the proof of 1/(1-x) = 1 + x + x2 + x3 + ... + xn/(1-x) by Induction?

The inductive step is when we assume that the equation holds for some arbitrary number k, and then use this assumption to prove that it also holds for k+1. In this proof, we assume that 1/(1-x) = 1 + x + x2 + x3 + ... + xk/(1-x), and then use this assumption to prove that 1/(1-x) = 1 + x + x2 + x3 + ... + xk+1/(1-x).

5. What is the conclusion of the proof of 1/(1-x) = 1 + x + x2 + x3 + ... + xn/(1-x) by Induction?

The conclusion of the proof is that the given equation 1/(1-x) = 1 + x + x2 + x3 + ... + xn/(1-x) holds for all natural numbers n starting from 1. This means that the equation is true for all values of n, and we can use this equation to solve problems and make calculations involving this expression.