Proof Noetherian Ring: $M^2 \ne M$

• MHB
  • Thread starter Amer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ring
In summary, the conversation discusses the proof of a statement involving Noetherian rings and maximal ideals. The proof provided is incorrect and it is mentioned that Nakayama's lemma can be used to show that $M^2 = M$ implies the existence of an idempotent element $e \in M$ such that $M = (e)$.
Amer
Can you check my Work or mention a link for a proof.
Let $R$ be Noetherian ring. Then if $M$ is a maximal ideal in $R$. Prove that $M^2 \ne M$.

Proof:
Since $R$ is Noetherian ring then $M$ is finitely generated. Thus $M = (a_1, a_2 , \cdots, a_k)$ we can choose the $a_i's $ which are minimal in the sense that $M$ can't be generated if we ignore one of the $a_i's$. Also that means one $a_i$ can be generated by other $a's $.

Suppose on the contrary that $M^2 = M$. Hence $a_1 \in M^2 $. But elements of $M^2$ has the form $\displaystyle \sum_{i=1}^{n} k_i a_j a_h$ for some $n$
Therefore
$\displaystyle a_1 = \sum_{i=1}^{n} k_i a_j a_h $ the right hand side is divisible by $a_1$ since the left hand side is. and since $a_1$ can't be generated by other $a_i's$ that means $a_1$ should appear on terms of the right hand side moving these terms to the left and factoring $a_1$ we will get someone like this

$\displaystyle a_1 ( 1 - \sum_{i=1}^{n} c_i a_i) = \sum_{i=1}^{m} k_i a_j a_h ,~~~ i, j \ne 1$
I think the right hand side is equal to zero if it is then we will get $1 = \sum_{i=1}^{n} c_i a_i $, it follows that $1 \in M$ a contradiction. But is it zero ?. if it is not then how i can prove it.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Amer, is it assumed that $R$ is a commutative?

Euge said:
Hi Amer, is it assumed that $R$ is a commutative?

yea commutative with 1

Ok. The proof you've provided is incorrect. Here's something to keep in mind. If $M^2 = M$, then since $M$ is finitely generated, Nakayama's lemma gives an $e \in M$ for which $m = em$ for all $m \in M$. In particular, $e^2 = e$, i.e., $e$ is idempotent. Furthermore, $M = (e)$.

Related to Proof Noetherian Ring: $M^2 \ne M$

1. What is a Noetherian ring?

A Noetherian ring is a commutative ring in which every non-empty set of ideals has a maximal element. This means that every ideal in a Noetherian ring can be generated by a finite number of elements.

2. What is the significance of the statement "Proof Noetherian Ring: M^2 ≠ M"?

This statement is significant because it is a key result in the study of Noetherian rings. It shows that in a Noetherian ring, the ideal generated by the squares of all elements is not equal to the ideal generated by all elements. In other words, not all elements of the ring can be expressed as squares of other elements.

3. How is the proof of "Proof Noetherian Ring: M^2 ≠ M" carried out?

The proof of this statement is usually done by contradiction, assuming that the two ideals are equal and then showing that this leads to a contradiction. This is typically done by constructing a sequence of ideals that violates the ascending chain condition, which is a defining property of Noetherian rings.

4. Can you provide an example of a Noetherian ring where "Proof Noetherian Ring: M^2 ≠ M" holds?

One example is the polynomial ring in two variables over a field. In this ring, the ideal generated by the squares of all elements is not equal to the ideal generated by all elements. For instance, in the polynomial ring R[x,y], the element x cannot be expressed as a square of another element.

5. What are the implications of "Proof Noetherian Ring: M^2 ≠ M" in algebraic geometry?

This statement has important implications in algebraic geometry, particularly in the study of algebraic varieties. It shows that not all algebraic varieties can be expressed as the zero set of a single polynomial. In other words, not all algebraic varieties can be described by a single equation in terms of their coordinates.