Proof needed of link between 2 equations using Laplace Transforms

In summary: L}\{f(x,a)\} = \frac{x}{\sqrt{4 \pi D}} \frac{s}{(s-0)(s-\sqrt{s})} = c(x,\lambda)Thus, we have shown that the Laplace Transform of the given equation is equal to c(x,\lambda), as stated by the authors. I hope this proof is helpful to you in your work. Thank you for your question.
chrisAUS

Homework Statement

Hello all. First of all I should mention that this is not a homework problem. Rather, during workplace research I have come across the following two equations in a journal paper. Here, the authors state that one equation can be shown to be the Laplace Transform of the other, but do not provide a proof. Although I am quite aware of how to use LTs, I am not an expert; in my work I only use mathematics in an applied sense. Therefore I hope that one of the experts on this forum may instead be able to provide a clear step-by-step proof.

Homework Equations

[tex] \mbox{let} f(x,a) = \frac{x}{\sqrt{4 \pi D a^3}}\exp \left(-\frac{(x-v a)^2}{4 D a}\right)[/tex]

According to the paper's authors, taking the Laplace Transform of this equation with respect to [itex]a[/itex] leads to :

[tex] c(x,\lambda) = c_0 \ \exp \left(\frac{x v}{2 D}\left(1-\sqrt{1+\frac{4 D \lambda}{v^2}}\right)\right)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The authors state that equations (14) and (74) from Zwillinger's 2003 book of mathematical tables and formulae can be used as part of the Laplace Transformation. They are :

[tex]\mbox{if }f(t) = \frac{1}{a-b}\left(a \ \exp^{at} - b \ \exp^{bt}\right) \mbox{ then } \ell \{ f(t) \} = F(s) = \frac{s}{(s-a)(s-b)} \mbox{where }a \mbox{ is not equal to } b \mbox{ (eq. 14)}[/tex]

[tex]\mbox{if }f(t) = \frac{a}{2 \sqrt{\pi t^3}} \exp^{-a^2 / 4t} \mbox{ then } \ell \{ f(t) \} = F(s) = e^{-a \sqrt{s}} \mbox{ (eq. 74)}[/tex]

Thanks very much in advance - being able to prove explicitly the link (via LT) between these two equations will be very useful in my work.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I am happy to provide a proof for the link between these two equations using Laplace Transforms.

First, let's rewrite the given equation as follows:

f(x,a) = \frac{x}{\sqrt{4 \pi D a^3}} \exp \left(-\frac{(x-v a)^2}{4 D a}\right) = \frac{x}{\sqrt{4 \pi D a^3}} \exp \left(-\frac{x^2}{4 D a} + \frac{v^2 a^2}{4 D a}\right)

Now, let's take the Laplace Transform of this equation with respect to a:

\mathcal{L}\{f(x,a)\} = \int_0^{\infty} f(x,a)e^{-sa}da = \frac{x}{\sqrt{4 \pi D}} \int_0^{\infty} \frac{1}{a^{3/2}} \exp \left(-\frac{x^2}{4 D a} + \frac{v^2 a^2}{4 D}\right) e^{-sa}da

Next, we can use equation (74) from Zwillinger's book to simplify the integral:

\int_0^{\infty} \frac{1}{a^{3/2}} \exp \left(-\frac{x^2}{4 D a} + \frac{v^2 a^2}{4 D}\right) e^{-sa}da = \int_0^{\infty} \frac{a}{2 \sqrt{\pi t^3}} \exp \left(-\frac{a^2}{4t} + at - as\right)da = e^{-a\sqrt{s}}

Substituting this back into the original equation, we get:

\mathcal{L}\{f(x,a)\} = \frac{x}{\sqrt{4 \pi D}} \int_0^{\infty} e^{-a\sqrt{s}}da = \frac{x}{\sqrt{4 \pi D}} e^{-a\sqrt{s}} \Big|_0^{\infty} = \frac{x}{\sqrt{4 \pi D}} e^{-a\sqrt{s}}

Finally, using equation (14) from Zwillinger

Related to Proof needed of link between 2 equations using Laplace Transforms

What is a Laplace Transform?

A Laplace Transform is a mathematical tool used to convert a function in the time domain into a function in the frequency domain. It is commonly used in engineering and physics to solve differential equations and analyze systems.

Why is a proof needed for the link between 2 equations using Laplace Transforms?

A proof is necessary to establish the validity and accuracy of the relationship between two equations using Laplace Transforms. It ensures that the equations are mathematically sound and can be used reliably in various applications.

What are the steps involved in proving the link between 2 equations using Laplace Transforms?

The proof involves converting both equations into their Laplace Transform forms, then manipulating and simplifying the equations to show that they are equivalent. This is usually done using properties of Laplace Transforms and algebraic operations.

What are some common applications of Laplace Transforms?

Laplace Transforms are used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and mathematics to solve differential equations, analyze systems, and study the behavior of signals and systems.

Can the link between 2 equations using Laplace Transforms be generalized to other equations?

Yes, the proof of the link between 2 equations using Laplace Transforms can be extended to other equations as long as they can be expressed in terms of Laplace Transforms. This is because Laplace Transforms follow a set of rules and properties that can be applied to different equations.