Proof involving binomial coefficients.

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem asking to prove a binomial coefficient identity using the binomial theorem. The conversation explores various approaches, including rewriting the expression as a double sum, but ultimately the solution remains elusive. The suggestion to isolate the coefficients of small values of l is given as a way to find a pattern, but the original poster is still struggling with this step.
PKDfan

Homework Statement

Prove that
[itex]\sum\limits_{k=o}^l {n \choose k}{m \choose l-k} = {n+m \choose l}[/itex]

Hint: Apply binomial theorem to (1+x)^n * (1+x)^m

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the hint, I started by saying that (1+x)^n * (1+x)^m = (1+x)^(n+m)

= [itex]\sum\limits_{k=o}^n {n \choose k}x^k * \sum\limits_{j=o}^m {m \choose j}x^j = \sum\limits_{l=o}^{n+m} {n+m \choose l}x^l[/itex]

I then rewrote that as a double sum:

[itex]\sum\limits_{k=o}^n \sum\limits_{j=o}^m {n \choose k} {m \choose j}x^{k+j} = \sum\limits_{l=o}^{n+m} {n+m \choose l}x^l[/itex]

= [itex]\sum\limits_{k=o}^n \sum\limits_{l-k=o}^m {n \choose k} {m \choose l-k}x^l = \sum\limits_{l=o}^{n+m} {n+m \choose l}x^l[/itex]

I have no idea where to proceed from here. Is there some way to divide out one of the sums, maybe? I've been thinking about this for hours and I can't figure it out.

Physics news on Phys.org
PKDfan said:

Homework Statement

Prove that
[itex]\sum\limits_{k=o}^l {n \choose k}{m \choose l-k} = {n+m \choose l}[/itex]

Hint: Apply binomial theorem to (1+x)^n * (1+x)^m

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the hint, I started by saying that (1+x)^n * (1+x)^m = (1+x)^(n+m)

= [itex]\sum\limits_{k=o}^n {n \choose k}x^k * \sum\limits_{j=o}^m {m \choose j}x^j = \sum\limits_{l=o}^{n+m} {n+m \choose l}x^l[/itex]

I then rewrote that as a double sum:

[itex]\sum\limits_{k=o}^n \sum\limits_{j=o}^m {n \choose k} {m \choose j}x^{k+j} = \sum\limits_{l=o}^{n+m} {n+m \choose l}x^l[/itex]

= [itex]\sum\limits_{k=o}^n \sum\limits_{l-k=o}^m {n \choose k} {m \choose l-k}x^l = \sum\limits_{l=o}^{n+m} {n+m \choose l}x^l[/itex]

I have no idea where to proceed from here. Is there some way to divide out one of the sums, maybe? I've been thinking about this for hours and I can't figure it out.

Try looking at small values of l, so try to isolate (for example) the coefficients of x, x^2, x^3 and x^4 on both sides. That will help you see the patterns.

RGV

I tried that, but I don't see how it shows any pattern. Isolating the coefficients is the part I'm having trouble with, whether or not L is a specific value.

Related to Proof involving binomial coefficients.

1. What are binomial coefficients?

Binomial coefficients are mathematical expressions that represent the number of ways a combination of objects can be chosen from a larger set. They are also known as "choose" or "combinations" and are written as nCr or C(n,r) where n is the total number of objects and r is the number of objects being chosen.

2. How are binomial coefficients used in proofs?

Binomial coefficients are often used in combinatorial proofs, where they are used to show that two expressions are equal by demonstrating that they count the same number of objects or outcomes. They can also be used in algebraic proofs, where they are used to expand binomial expressions or simplify expressions involving binomial coefficients.

3. What is the formula for calculating binomial coefficients?

The formula for calculating binomial coefficients is nCr = n! / (r! * (n-r)!), where n is the total number of objects and r is the number of objects being chosen. This formula is also known as the "choose" formula and can be found on the Pascal's Triangle.

4. What is the relationship between binomial coefficients and Pascal's Triangle?

Pascal's Triangle is a visual representation of binomial coefficients, where each number in the triangle represents a binomial coefficient. The numbers are arranged in a triangular pattern, with each row representing the coefficients for a different value of n. The coefficients can be found by following the pattern of adding the two numbers above it.

5. Can binomial coefficients have negative or non-integer values?

No, binomial coefficients can only have non-negative integer values. This is because they represent the number of ways to choose a certain number of objects from a larger set, and it is not possible to have a negative or non-integer number of objects. However, there are generalizations of binomial coefficients, such as the binomial theorem, that can involve negative or non-integer values.