Proof in Science: Debating a Sceptic

In summary: Relativity has been confirmed by every experiment that has ever been done..In summary, the conversation discusses the idea that there are no true proofs in science, only theories supported by evidence. The speaker questions how this idea can be refined and whether they are wrong in any aspect. The topic of philosophy of science is brought up as a way to explore these questions further. The conversation also touches on the concept of observation and how it relates to the confirmation of scientific theories. The example of the ozone hole and its effects is used to illustrate this point. Overall, the conversation highlights the complexity of scientific knowledge and the importance of critical thinking and open-mindedness in understanding it.
Mentallic
Homework Helper
I've come to believe that there are no true proofs in science, only theories and evidence to support them. A proof is something that can never be disputed such as in maths, and in our world, there is always going to be an imperfection to our theories in some regard.

What I want to know is how this idea I have of proofs in science can be polished. Am I wrong in any respect?

Why I'm asking this of you is because I am having this debate with a sceptic about the ozone hole (now I know the true meaning of a sceptic by experiencing it first hand - one of my favourite quotes by her is "the science doesn't matter") and I've had enough of her telling me she has "disproven" this and that by giving just one logical idea that counters the evidence shown. Anyway, I told her how things cannot be proven in science but she fought back by saying that things like electricity can be proven to exist.

I don't know how to counter this because I can't quite see a connection between proving a theory and seeing the obvious (that electricity is there). Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, you should read up on philosophy of science which is all about these questions.
Popper's "The logic of scientific discovery" is for instance a very influential book on the topic. But you might want to start by reading a more general survey of the ideas of philosophy of science.

Ahh yes, philosophy is what I was looking for. Thanks :smile:

Mentallic said:
Why I'm asking this of you is because I am having this debate with a sceptic about the ozone hole (now I know the true meaning of a sceptic by experiencing it first hand - one of my favourite quotes by her is "the science doesn't matter") and I've had enough of her telling me she has "disproven" this and that by giving just one logical idea that counters the evidence shown. Anyway, I told her how things cannot be proven in science but she fought back by saying that things like electricity can be proven to exist.

Of course scientific theories are confirmed by observation rather than proven.

But your sceptic has a bigger problem as the ozone hole is itself a matter of observation. Once it was noticed, we also then developed theories about what caused it, and they seem right as it is being gradually fixed. So theory confirmed by further observation.

I happen to live under the ozone hole in summer and UV forecasts are part of the daily weather report. I can tell you how it fades the carpets and blisters the car, not to mention how fast it can fry your skin.

I've come to believe that there are no true proofs in science...

I agree; there are varying desgrees of experimental evidence, observations, that tend to agree or not agree with a theory. But there can't be "true" proofs of much because there is not an absolute reality...Different observers may see different things OR may not even be able to observe the same phenomena.

...that by giving just one logical idea that counters the evidence shown.

If this statement means that a logical idea can counter experimental observation, then it will usually be wrong...As an example, I can claim "Einstein's special relativity is wrong because it is illogical that space and time are variable and only the speed of light is a true constant". The fact that it seems to us in everyday life that space and time are FIXED, and that it appears "logical", doesn't make it true...

Related to Proof in Science: Debating a Sceptic

1. What is the importance of proof in science?

Proof is essential in science because it allows us to confirm or reject hypotheses and theories. It provides evidence to support or refute claims and helps us build a better understanding of the natural world. Without proof, scientific findings would be based solely on speculation and opinion, making them unreliable and untrustworthy.

2. How do scientists provide proof for their claims?

Scientists use a variety of methods and techniques to provide proof for their claims. This can include conducting experiments, collecting and analyzing data, peer-reviewing their work, and replicating experiments to ensure the results are consistent and reliable. They also use mathematical equations and models to support their theories and provide evidence for their claims.

3. Can proof in science ever be 100% certain?

No, proof in science can never be 100% certain. This is because scientific knowledge is constantly evolving and new evidence can always be discovered that may challenge or change existing theories. However, through rigorous testing and replication of experiments, scientists can increase the confidence and certainty in their findings.

4. How do scientists respond to scepticism about their findings?

Scientists welcome scepticism as it encourages critical thinking and helps to refine and improve their findings. When faced with scepticism, scientists provide evidence to support their claims and engage in open and respectful debates to address any concerns or criticisms. This allows for a deeper understanding of the topic and can lead to new discoveries and advancements in science.

5. Can proof in science be influenced by personal biases or beliefs?

While scientists strive to be objective and unbiased, personal beliefs and biases can sometimes influence the interpretation and presentation of data. That is why it is crucial for scientists to undergo peer-review and have their work scrutinized by other experts in the field. This helps to minimize the impact of personal biases and ensures that scientific findings are based on evidence rather than personal opinions.