Proof: Identity formula of sin(x)^2 + cos(x)^2 = 1 for *degrees*

In summary, we are given two sets of functions, sin(x) and cos(x) in radians and S(x) and C(x) in degrees. We can convert between the two using the relations sin(x) = S(mx) and cos(x) = C(mx), with m=180/pi. We can also use the relations S(x) = sin(nx) and C(x) = cos(nx), with n=pi/180. Given the identity sin(x)^2 + cos(x)^2 = 1, we can find a similar identity for S(x) and C(x) by substituting in S(x) = sin(nx) and C(x) = cos(nx) and simplifying to get S(x)^2 + C
Persimmon

Homework Statement

We are given two sets of functions: sin(x) and cos(x); S(x) and C(x). In the former, x is measured in radians, in the latter x is measured in degrees.
It is possible to convert between the two using the following relations:
sin(x) = S(mx), cos(x) = C(mx) where m=180/pi
S(x) = sin(nx), C(x) = cos(nx), where n = pi/180

Given the identity formula sin(x)^2 + cos(x)^2 = 1, what is a similar identity relating S(x) and C(x)?

Homework Equations

sin(x) = S(mx), cos(x) = C(mx) where m=180/pi
S(x) = sin(nx), C(x) = cos(nx), where n = pi/180
sin(x)^2 + cos(x)^2 = 1

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to show sin(nx)^2 + cos(nx)^2 = 1, which then implies S(x)^2 +C(x)^2 = 1

(d/dx)(sin(nx)^2 + cos(nx)^2) = (d/dx)1
2*sin(nx)*cos(nx)*(n) -2*sin(nx)*cos(nx)*(n) = 0 for all n contained in ℝ,
so S(x)^2 +C(x)^2 = 1

Is this right in any way? The topic being covered is derivatives so I thought I need to use them.
Can I simply make the assumption that sin(nx)^2 + cos(nx)^2 = 1? How should I justify this? Is there any other sort of manipulation I can do to, perhaps starting with sin(x)^2 + cos(x)^2 = 1 and then subbing in sin(x) = S(mx) and cos(x) = C(mx), and then getting the "m"s out of the brackets in some way?

Physics news on Phys.org
I see no need for calculus here. You know sin(x)^2 + cos(x)^2 = 1 is true for all x. Given S(y^2) +C(y)^2 for some y, what might be a useful x to consider?

So can I simply say sin(x)^2 + cos(x)^2 = 1 is true for all x, so sin(nx)^2 + cos(nx)^2 = 1?
I'm a bit confused about why I would put y into S(y)^2 + C(y)^2... why wouldn't I put y into the sin and cos identity?
ie: sin(y)^2 + cos(y)^2 = 1 for all y, take y = nx, therefore S(x)^2 + C(x)^2 = 1

Persimmon said:
So can I simply say sin(x)^2 + cos(x)^2 = 1 is true for all x, so sin(nx)^2 + cos(nx)^2 = 1?
I'm a bit confused about why I would put y into S(y)^2 + C(y)^2... why wouldn't I put y into the sin and cos identity?
ie: sin(y)^2 + cos(y)^2 = 1 for all y, take y = nx, therefore S(x)^2 + C(x)^2 = 1

Yes. I introduced y to make it less confusing, but it isn't necessary.

Likes 1 person
Got it, thanks! I was thinking it must be more complex than it really is.

Related to Proof: Identity formula of sin(x)^2 + cos(x)^2 = 1 for *degrees*

1. What is the identity formula for sin(x)^2 + cos(x)^2 = 1 in degrees?

The identity formula for sin(x)^2 + cos(x)^2 = 1 in degrees is a fundamental trigonometric identity that states that the square of the sine of an angle added to the square of the cosine of the same angle will always equal 1. This formula is commonly used in trigonometry and can be proven using the Pythagorean theorem.

2. Why is the identity formula for sin(x)^2 + cos(x)^2 = 1 important?

The identity formula for sin(x)^2 + cos(x)^2 = 1 is important because it helps to simplify and solve various trigonometric equations and identities. It is also used in many real-world applications, such as in physics and engineering, to calculate and understand the relationships between different angles and sides of triangles.

3. How can the identity formula for sin(x)^2 + cos(x)^2 = 1 be derived?

The identity formula for sin(x)^2 + cos(x)^2 = 1 can be derived using the Pythagorean theorem, which states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse (the side opposite the right angle) is equal to the sum of the squares of the lengths of the other two sides. By substituting the values of the sine and cosine of an angle for the sides of a right triangle, the identity formula can be derived.

4. Is the identity formula for sin(x)^2 + cos(x)^2 = 1 limited to degrees only?

No, the identity formula for sin(x)^2 + cos(x)^2 = 1 is not limited to degrees only. It is a fundamental trigonometric identity that holds true for any unit of measurement, including radians. However, in most cases, degrees are used in practical applications, so the formula is commonly written and used in degrees.

5. How does the identity formula for sin(x)^2 + cos(x)^2 = 1 relate to the unit circle?

The identity formula for sin(x)^2 + cos(x)^2 = 1 is closely related to the unit circle. In fact, it is often used to define the unit circle, which is a circle with a radius of 1 centered at the origin of a Cartesian coordinate system. The values of sine and cosine for any angle on the unit circle can be calculated using the identity formula, making it a key concept in understanding the properties of the unit circle.