Proof for al integers n, if n is prime then (-1)^n = -1, can i use counter example?

In summary, the conversation discusses the statement "For all integers n, if n is prime then (-1)^n = -1" and whether it is true or false. It is determined to be false by using a counterexample of n = 2, which is a prime number but does not result in (-1)^n equaling -1. The conversation also addresses the clarification that the term "primes" typically refers to positive integers.
mr_coffee
Hello everyone. I'm wondering if I'm allowed to use a counter example to disprove this. I'm not sure if I'm understanding the statement correctly though. THe directions are:
Determine whether the statement is true or false. Justify your answer with a rpoof or a counterexample.

Here is the question:
FOr all integers n, if n is prime then (-1)^n = -1.

If it says for ALL integers n, doesn't this mean negatives as well? If it said for All positive integers than wouldn't it be true? But if i let n = -1, i would get (-1)^(-1) = 1, not -1. But if they said, for all integers n, if n is prime..does this mean they are saying n > 1?

Physics news on Phys.org
The assertion can be rewritten as: For all prime integers n, (-1)^n = -1

Typically, the term 'primes' is restricted to the positive integers.

Yes, you can use a counter example to disprove it.

I think it means if n is prime. The integer n seems to be superfluous information.

Would this be enough to prove it?
For all integers n, if n is prime then (-1)^n = -1.

False. By definition of a prime number, 2 is an integer and also prime. (-1)^(2) = 1 != -1.

Thanks guys, i actually forgot 2 was a prime number until you said it could be proved with a counter example :blushing:

mr_coffee said:
Here is the question:
FOr all integers n, if n is prime then (-1)^n = -1.

If it says for ALL integers n, doesn't this mean negatives as well? If it said for All positive integers than wouldn't it be true? But if i let n = -1, i would get (-1)^(-1) = 1, not -1. But if they said, for all integers n, if n is prime..does this mean they are saying n > 1?

Just to clarify (-1)^(-1) IS equal to -1 not 1.

hah whooops u are right, thanks

Related to Proof for al integers n, if n is prime then (-1)^n = -1, can i use counter example?

1. What is a counter example?

A counter example is an example that goes against a given statement or hypothesis. In this case, it would be an example of a prime number for which the statement "if n is prime then (-1)^n = -1" is not true.

2. Can I use a counter example to disprove the proof?

Yes, a counter example can be used to disprove a proof. If a single counter example is found, it means that the statement is not always true and therefore the proof is invalid.

3. Why is it important to consider counter examples in a proof?

Counter examples are important because they test the validity of a statement or proof. If a statement holds true for all cases, including the counter examples, then it is considered a valid statement. However, if a counter example is found, it means that the statement is not always true and the proof needs to be revised or discarded.

4. How do I know if a number is prime?

A prime number is a positive integer that is only divisible by 1 and itself. This means that a prime number cannot be divided evenly by any other number. Examples of prime numbers include 2, 3, 5, 7, 11, etc. To determine if a number is prime, you can try dividing it by all numbers between 2 and the number itself. If it is only divisible by 1 and itself, then it is a prime number.

5. Can a prime number be negative?

No, a prime number cannot be negative. By definition, a prime number is a positive integer that is only divisible by 1 and itself. However, there are negative numbers that can act as counter examples for the statement "if n is prime then (-1)^n = -1". For example, -2 is a prime number but (-1)^(-2) is equal to 1, not -1.