Proof by induction: multiplication of two finite sets.

In summary, the proof by induction for the statement "if A and B are finite sets with n and m elements respectively, then AxB has mn elements" involves showing that it holds true for the base case of n = m = 1, and then using the induction assumption to prove it for the n+1 and m+1 cases. The key is to understand that changing the number of elements in one set does not affect the outcome of the Cartesian product, making it possible to prove the statement for any number of elements.
whyme1010

Homework Statement

prove by induction that if A and B are finite sets, A with n elements and B with m elements, then AxB has mn elements

Homework Equations

AxB is the Cartesian product. AxB={(a,b) such that a is an element of A and b is an element of B}

The Attempt at a Solution

normally, proof by induction involves one variable. here it includes two. I guess I could say that mn=nm and therefore proving it for n+1 is the same thing as proving it for m+1. Then any increase in m or n after that is just the same thing. But somehow I still feel this isn't really justifiable.

Physics news on Phys.org
whyme1010 said:

Homework Statement

prove by induction that if A and B are finite sets, A with n elements and B with m elements, then AxB has mn elements

Homework Equations

AxB is the Cartesian product. AxB={(a,b) such that a is an element of A and b is an element of B}

The Attempt at a Solution

normally, proof by induction involves one variable. here it includes two. I guess I could say that mn=nm and therefore proving it for n+1 is the same thing as proving it for m+1. Then any increase in m or n after that is just the same thing. But somehow I still feel this isn't really justifiable.

So induction has three steps. Where you assume the case n = 1, the induction assumption and then the proof for the n+1 case.

Case : n = 1 = m

Assume that A and B have one element in each corresponding set. Say A = {(a0,b0)} and B = {(c0,d0)} and go from here.

Last edited:
yeah, but how do I prove that if it is true for the n+1 case, it is also true for the m+1 case. and what if m+1 and n+1 are occurring at the same time?

I guess what I'm asking is, if I prove it true for the n+1 case (which is pretty easy), then how do I show that this means I can add one element to A and B as desired and the result mn would still be valid.

whyme1010 said:
yeah, but how do I prove that if it is true for the n+1 case, it is also true for the m+1 case. and what if m+1 and n+1 are occurring at the same time?

I guess what I'm asking is, if I prove it true for the n+1 case (which is pretty easy), then how do I show that this means I can add one element to A and B as desired and the result mn would still be valid.

That's the beauty of induction. Imagine if you held the amount of elements in B constant the whole time. Would it change your outcome?

Remember that proving something n+1 times is sufficient when thinking about this.

Related to Proof by induction: multiplication of two finite sets.

1. How does proof by induction work?

Proof by induction is a mathematical technique used to prove statements about natural numbers or other recursively defined objects. It involves proving a base case and then showing that if the statement holds for one value, it also holds for the next value.

2. What is the base case in a proof by induction?

The base case is the starting point for the proof, typically the smallest or simplest value in the set. It is used to show that the statement holds for at least one value.

3. How is the induction hypothesis used in the proof?

The induction hypothesis is the assumption that the statement holds for a particular value. It is used to show that if the statement holds for that value, it also holds for the next value.

4. Can proof by induction be used for any statement?

No, proof by induction can only be used for statements that are defined recursively, meaning they can be broken down into smaller cases that eventually lead to a base case. It cannot be used for statements that involve circular reasoning or infinite sets.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when using proof by induction?

Yes, one common mistake is assuming that the statement holds for all values without properly proving the base case. It is also important to make sure that the induction step is valid and that all steps in the proof are logically sound.