Proof: between 2 reals is an irrational

In summary, between any two reals, there is always an irrational number. Between any two rational numbers, there is always a rational number. Between any two transcendental numbers, there is always an element of the form \pi+q with q a rational.
ArcanaNoir
I'd like to know if this indeed proves that between any 2 reals is an irrational.

Choose two reals A and B, B>A. There are two cases of B: B is irrational or B is rational. Assume B is irrational. Then [itex] B- \frac{1}{n} [/itex] (n is a natural number) is irrational. You can get as close as you like to B by taking n sufficienly large. Thus, between a real A and an irrational B, an irrational.
Next, assume B is rational. Then, [itex] B- \frac{\pi}{n} [/itex] is irrational. By making n sufficiently large you can get as close as you like to B. Thus, between a real A and a rational B, there is always an irrational.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, that's a valid proof. You might want to clarify it a little by letting [itex]\delta= B- A[/itex] and saying that, for sufficiently large n, 1/n and [itex]\pi/n[/itex] is less than [itex]\delta[/itex].

This looks quite good, ArcanaNoir! :smile:

(of course the proof isn't elementary since it requires you to know that [itex]\pi[/itex] is irrational, which can be difficult to prove)

micromass said:
This looks quite good, ArcanaNoir! :smile:

(of course the proof isn't elementary since it requires you to know that [itex]\pi[/itex] is irrational, which can be difficult to prove)

I think this could be made elementary by using [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex] in place of [itex]\pi[/itex], since the irrationality of [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex] is quite easy to prove by contradiction. :biggrin:
But then I suppose using [itex]\pi[/itex] for this proof also works to prove that there are transcendental numbers (a stronger attribute than irrational) between any two reals, as well (since [itex]\pi[/itex] is also transcendental), am I right?

Thanks for the feedback. @HallsofIvy: yes, I was thinking that too, about using a delta or maybe an epsilon.

@micromass + BrianMath: pi was just the first irrational I thought of, and since the irrationality of accepted irrationals was not in question, I went with it. I agree the sq root of 2 might be a safer choice though.

Incidentally, so there's not one "blanket proof" of whether a number is irrational? Slippery little buggers they are...

Also note that your proof actually shows something stronger. It shows that between every two reals is a transcendental! :smile:

And with some modifications, you can even show the following: between every two reals is an element of the form [itex]\pi+q[/itex] with q a rational. So [itex]\pi+\mathbb{Q}[/itex] is dense.

Related to Proof: between 2 reals is an irrational

1. What is the definition of an irrational number?

An irrational number is a real number that cannot be expressed as a ratio of two integers. It is a non-terminating, non-repeating decimal, and cannot be written as a fraction.

2. How can you prove that the difference between two real numbers is irrational?

To prove that the difference between two real numbers is irrational, we can use the proof by contradiction method. We assume that the difference is rational, and then show that this leads to a contradiction, thus proving the difference is irrational.

3. Can you provide an example of two real numbers whose difference is irrational?

Yes, an example of two real numbers whose difference is irrational is π and 1. The difference between these two numbers is π - 1, which is an irrational number.

4. Why is it important to know that the difference between two real numbers is irrational?

Knowing that the difference between two real numbers is irrational is important because it helps us understand the nature of real numbers and their relationships. It also has practical applications in fields such as mathematics, physics, and engineering.

5. Is it possible for the difference between two real numbers to be both irrational and rational?

No, it is not possible for the difference between two real numbers to be both irrational and rational. This is because if the difference is rational, it can be expressed as a ratio of two integers, making it a rational number. However, if the difference is irrational, it cannot be expressed as a ratio of two integers, making it impossible for it to be both irrational and rational.