Proof about an irrational number.

In summary, to prove that √3 is irrational, we start by assuming that it is rational and can be represented as 3 = b^2/a^2, with a and b having no common factors. However, this leads to a contradiction when considering the cases of a and b being both even or both odd. Therefore, √3 is irrational.
cragar

Homework Statement

Prove that [itex] \sqrt{3} [/itex] is irrational.

The Attempt at a Solution

SO I will start by assuming that [itex] \sqrt{3} [/itex] is rational and i can represent this as
[itex] 3=\frac{b^2}{a^2} [/itex] and I assume that a and b have no common factors.
so now I have [itex] 3b^2=a^2 [/itex]
but this is not possible because if a and b have no common factors.
I probably need to add more to this, what do you guys think?

Physics news on Phys.org
First you must state let's assume that its rational then that √3 = a / b
And that a / b is reduced to lowest form then square both sides.

Next You need to reach a contradiction about a and b.

Check out the sqroot of 2 proofs online to get an idea.

Last edited:
You're doing great at the moment, there's just a few more steps to the proof. Consider two cases: a,b are even, and a,b are odd. a,b being even is very similar to the irrationality proof of sqrt(2), just as jedishrfu said. So, now consider when they are odd, and substitute simple expressions for a,b to show they are odd numbers. See where you go from there =)

ok I looked at the [itex] \sqrt{2} [/itex] proofs. And I saw how they reached a contradiction about both if of them are even and that would imply they shared a common factor. But as for [itex] \sqrt{3} [/itex] a and b could both be odd .
What about this. Since 3 is prime and a and b are both integers. the only way to divide 2 integers to get a prime number is to have a and b share common factors, therefore this is a contradiction. Will this work. maybe its recursive

Last edited:
cragar said:
ok I looked at the [itex] \sqrt{2} [/itex] proofs. And I saw how they reached a contradiction about both if of them are even and that would imply they shared a common factor. But as for [itex] \sqrt{3} [/itex] a and b could both be odd .
What about this. Since 3 is prime and a and b are both integers. the only way to divide 2 integers to get a prime number is to have a and b share common factors, therefore this is a contradiction. Will this work. maybe its recursive

If b^2=3*a^2 then b is divisible by 3. Why? Keep going from there.

thanks for everyones help.
ok so b is divisible by 3 because b*b=3a^2 . so now I let b=3r where r is an integer.
so now 9r^2=3a^2 , and then 3r^2=a^2, and now this is saying that a is divisible by 3, which is a contradiction because we assumed at the start that a and b shared no common factors.

cragar said:
thanks for everyones help.
ok so b is divisible by 3 because b*b=3a^2 . so now I let b=3r where r is an integer.
so now 9r^2=3a^2 , and then 3r^2=a^2, and now this is saying that a is divisible by 3, which is a contradiction because we assumed at the start that a and b shared no common factors.

That's it alright.

Related to Proof about an irrational number.

1. What is an irrational number?

An irrational number is a real number that cannot be expressed as a ratio of two integers. In other words, it cannot be written as a fraction. Examples of irrational numbers include π and √2.

2. How do you prove that a number is irrational?

There are a few different methods for proving that a number is irrational. One common method is to assume that the number is rational and then use proof by contradiction to show that this assumption leads to a contradiction. Another method is to use the decimal expansion of the number and show that it is non-repeating and non-terminating.

3. Can all irrational numbers be proved to be irrational?

No, not all irrational numbers can be proved to be irrational. There are some irrational numbers that are known to be irrational but have not yet been proven to be so. Additionally, there are an infinite number of irrational numbers, so it is impossible to prove the irrationality of all of them.

4. Are there any patterns in irrational numbers?

No, there are no patterns in irrational numbers. Unlike rational numbers, which have repeating or terminating decimal expansions, irrational numbers have non-repeating and non-terminating decimal expansions. This means that there is no predictable pattern to the digits of an irrational number.

5. Why is it important to prove that a number is irrational?

Proving that a number is irrational is important because it helps us understand the nature of numbers and their relationships. It also allows us to solve certain mathematical problems and prove theorems. Additionally, many important mathematical constants, such as π and e, are irrational numbers, so understanding their irrationality is crucial in many areas of mathematics and science.