Projectiles Problem: Expert Help for Q3 (A) - Get Solutions Now!

• Thread starter Aaron Curran
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Projectiles
In summary, the conversation discussed an algebra error made in a problem involving a horizontal component and the time of impact. The error was identified and a solution was suggested using a substitution and quadratic equation. The conversation also mentioned the importance of understanding trigonometric relationships and the use of sin = sqrt(1-cos^2) to convert expressions into terms of cosine.
Aaron Curran
Here is the problem (Q3 (A));
ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1423676612.394766.jpg

Here's what I have so far;
ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1423676690.906861.jpg

Any help would be appreciated, thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
It appears you made an algebra error when you went from ## 21 \cos \alpha = \frac {30}{ t} ## to ## \cos \alpha = \frac {630}{ t} ##.
Also, I would first find your time of impact based on your horizontal component.
With that time of impact, you can make an expression that is in terms of alpha only.

RUber said:
It appears you made an algebra error when you went from ## 21 \cos \alpha = \frac {30}{ t} ## to ## \cos \alpha = \frac {630}{ t} ##.
Also, I would first find your time of impact based on your horizontal component.
With that time of impact, you can make an expression that is in terms of alpha only.

Yes I realized this after I posted, I'll try that, thanks!

I made a substition of x = cos^2(alpha) and manipulated it into a quadratic equation to get the two solutions.
part b comes right out of part a if you have already solved for time of impact.

Aaron,

Something else to note: If you have the expression ##\tan \alpha = \frac{A}{B}##, then you cannot conclude that ##\sin \alpha = A## and ##\cos \alpha = B##.

RUber said:
I made a substition of x = cos^2(alpha) and manipulated it into a quadratic equation to get the two solutions.
part b comes right out of part a if you have already solved for time of impact.

Could you elaborate on this a bit? Not quite sure what you mean..

Do you have an expression that can be written as some trig functions of alpha = 0?
Use sin = sqrt(1-cos^2) to convert everything in terms of cos.

Related to Projectiles Problem: Expert Help for Q3 (A) - Get Solutions Now!

1. What is a projectile problem?

A projectile problem is a type of physics problem that involves calculating the motion of an object that is launched into the air, such as a ball or a bullet.

2. What are the main equations used to solve projectile problems?

The main equations used to solve projectile problems are the equations of motion, which include the equations for displacement, velocity, and acceleration. These equations can be derived from Newton's laws of motion.

3. How do you approach solving a projectile problem?

The first step in solving a projectile problem is to identify the known and unknown variables, such as the initial velocity, angle of launch, and time of flight. Then, you can use the equations of motion to calculate the unknown variables. It is important to draw a diagram and label the variables to help visualize the problem.

4. What are some common mistakes when solving projectile problems?

Some common mistakes when solving projectile problems include not properly converting between units, not taking into account air resistance, and not considering the effects of gravity. It is also important to double check your calculations and use significant figures to ensure accuracy.

5. How can projectile problems be applied in real life?

Projectile problems have many real-life applications, such as calculating the trajectory of a baseball, determining the range of a projectile weapon, or predicting the motion of a rocket. They are also used in fields such as engineering, ballistics, and sports.