Coulomb's law — A negative charge balanced between 3 positive charges

In summary: So, to summarize, the factor of 3 comes from the fact that the distance between q and Q is not the same as the distance between q and q.In summary, the factor of 3 in the equation F(3,Q) = 3kQ/r^2 is due to the fact that the distance between the charges q and Q is not the same as the distance between the charges q and q in the equilateral triangle arrangement. Therefore, the equation needs to be adjusted by a factor of 3 to account for this difference in distance.
yesmale4
Homework Statement
Three equal positive charges, q = 8.5 μC each, are arranged at the vertices of equilateral triangle (see figure below). A negative charge, Q, is placed at the center of the triangle such that all four charges are in equilibrium.
Relevant Equations
Ef=0
f=kq1q2/r^2
hello i would like to understand something, i found the right answer but there is still something i don't understand.
here is the figure
a.png

and here is my correct solution

aa.jpg

aaa.jpg

what i don't understand is why F(3,Q) is 3kQ/r^2
i mean why is the 3? i only calculat the force between q3 and Q so why the 3 before?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You mean Coulomb's law. Not "colon law".

• Haha
Likes malawi_glenn, PhDeezNutz and topsquark
Steve4Physics said:
You mean Coulomb's law. Not "colon law".
fixed thank you

yesmale4 said:
Homework Statement:: Three equal positive charges, q = 8.5 μC each, are arranged at the vertices of equilateral triangle (see figure below). A negative charge, Q, is placed at the center of the triangle such that all four charges are in equilibrium.
Relevant Equations:: Ef=0
f=kq1q2/r^2

hello i would like to understand something, i found the right answer but there is still something i don't understand.
here is the figure
View attachment 316259

View attachment 316260
View attachment 316261

what i don't understand is why F(3,Q) is 3kQ/r^2
i mean why is the 3? i only calculat the force between q3 and Q so why the 3 before?
What does r represent in your solution? The distance from where to where?

Likes topsquark
yesmale4 said:
i found the right answer
What is the question :smile: ? (i can guess...)

I suppose
1666953133805.png
means ##\sqrt{3}\over 2## ?

You may want to learn some ##\LaTeX## (button at lower left of edit window). Or write and draw more unambiguously (the 60##^\circ## at the lower left looks more like 45##^\circ##, smack between 30##^\circ## and 60##^\circ##...)​

You seem to think that the sides of the triangle are ##r##. Fine, but then the distance ##qQ## is not ##r## !

##\ ##

Likes topsquark
EDIT. Apologies @yesmale4. I misread your working. So this post is wrong and I've struck it through.

By the way @yesmale4, you have the incorrect unit in your answer. So your answer is wrong by a factor of one million!

Also, the value of q in the question is given to 2 significant figures. For consistency, your calculated value for Q should also have 2 significant figures.

Last edited:
Steve4Physics said:
Also, the value of q in the question is given to 2 significant figures. For consistency, your calculated value for Q should also have 2 significant figures.
I don't see a calculated value. All I see is ##Q=\dfrac{q}{\sqrt{3}}## C. The issue is that there should be no units of Coulombs in the expression since it is a relation between magnitudes of charges.

kuruman said:
I don't see a calculated value. All I see is ##Q=\dfrac{q}{\sqrt{3}}## C. The issue is that there should be no units of Coulombs in the expression since it is a relation between magnitudes of charges.
Whoops. In haste I misread ##\frac q {\sqrt 3}## as ##\frac 9 {\sqrt 3}## (though that would have been an incorrect answer in any case).

Likes topsquark and kuruman
yesmale4 said:
Homework Statement:: Three equal positive charges, q = 8.5 μC each, are arranged at the vertices of equilateral triangle (see figure below). A negative charge, Q, is placed at the center of the triangle such that all four charges are in equilibrium.
Relevant Equations:: Ef=0
f=kq1q2/r^2

here is the figure
View attachment 316259

[ ATTACH type="full" alt="aa.jpg"]316260[/ATTACH]
[ ATTACH type="full" alt="aaa.jpg"]316261[/ATTACH]

what I don't understand is why F(3,Q) is 3kQ/r^2
i mean why is the 3? i only calculated the force between q3 and Q so why the 3 before?
This seems rather strange. It's your solution, but you do not know where the 3 comes from.

Notice that the distance from q1 to q2 , etc. is not the same as the distance from each q to the central Q.

If you let R be the distance from each q to the charge Q in the center you should find that, ##\dfrac{r/2}{R} =\cos(30^\circ)## .

Last edited by a moderator:
SammyS said:
It's your solution
Maybe not. Could be "found" as in "… in the back of the book".
SammyS said:
Notice that the distance from q1 to q2 , etc. is not the same as the distance from each q to the central Q.
… and this is where the 3 comes from. ##\frac 1{(\frac r{\sqrt 3})^2}=\frac 3{r^2}##

Likes SammyS

Related to Coulomb's law — A negative charge balanced between 3 positive charges

What is Coulomb's law?

Coulomb's law is a fundamental law of physics that describes the force between two charged particles. It states that the force of attraction or repulsion between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

How does Coulomb's law apply to a negative charge balanced between 3 positive charges?

In this scenario, the negative charge will experience a net force due to the individual forces exerted by each of the three positive charges. The net force will depend on the magnitude and direction of each individual force, as well as the distances between the charges.

What is the mathematical equation for Coulomb's law?

The mathematical equation for Coulomb's law is F = k * (q1 * q2) / r^2, where F is the force between two charges, k is the Coulomb constant, q1 and q2 are the charges of the particles, and r is the distance between them.

What is the unit of measurement for charge in Coulomb's law?

The unit of measurement for charge in Coulomb's law is the Coulomb (C). One Coulomb is equal to the charge of approximately 6.24 x 10^18 protons or electrons.

How does Coulomb's law relate to other laws of physics?

Coulomb's law is closely related to other fundamental laws of physics, such as Newton's law of gravitation and the inverse square law. It also plays a crucial role in understanding and describing electromagnetic interactions, which are responsible for many phenomena in our everyday lives.