Projectiles and Vectors Graphs

In summary: Certainly, but then we aren't talking about the case of projectile motion, then it's just simple kinematics :-)
physicsnobrain
I have a theory question I was wondering about. Today we learned that on a graph of projectile motion, velocity always acts tangent to the graph of the projectile. Why is is this?

Also, does acceleration always act down on a projectile? How do acceleration and displacement vectors act on a projectile?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, the velocity always have the direction of motion. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ferde_hajitas2.svg
This illustration from wikipedia actually pictures it very well. The x and y components of the velocity change as the ball moves along the line. The obvious relationship between them, determines the direction of the projectile. In the start, the y component is larger than the x, since it moves more upwards then sideways, but when reaches the middle, the x component get larger, and the y component drops. This relationship ensures that it is always tangential to the curve.

Yes, acceleration is always downwards the y-axis, if you neglect air resistance. The acceleration is due to gravity, and is always constant. You use this to determine the top point, your projectile can reach, before it starts falling. Since the acceleration is downwards, it makes the projectile lose more and more velocity as it rises.

I am not sure, what you mean with displacement vectors? A displacement vector points from your starting position to wherever the projectile is, as far as I am concerned.

So in this sort of graph then b would represent displacement because it is measuring distance from 0 and a would be acceleration because it is downward right?

b3sqvp.png

physicsnobrain said:
So in this sort of graph then b would represent displacement because it is measuring distance from 0 and a would be acceleration because it is downward right?

b3sqvp.png

this is a graph of the movement of a particle btw.

There is no acceleration in the x-direction. The acceleration is only in the y-direction, it has to point in the same direction as the y-axis. This is important, since if it didn't, what I explained above with the relationship between the x and y component of the acceleration, would not hold. At least, when you are talking projectile motion.

For the particle you show, it depends if it can accelerate on its own. Also don't confuse "particle" with anything small, since these laws actually don't hold for very small particles such as molecules and atoms. Do not think about it, just keep it in mind, since a lot of physics teachers make mistakes in these parts.

hjelmgart said:
There is no acceleration in the x-direction. The acceleration is only in the y-direction, it has to point in the same direction as the y-axis. This is important, since if it didn't, what I explained above with the relationship between the x and y component of the acceleration, would not hold. At least, when you are talking projectile motion.

For the particle you show, it depends if it can accelerate on its own. Also don't confuse "particle" with anything small, since these laws actually don't hold for very small particles such as molecules and atoms. Do not think about it, just keep it in mind, since a lot of physics teachers make mistakes in these parts.

Well judging off that graph I believe it can accelerate on its own.

physicsnobrain said:
Well judging off that graph I believe it can accelerate on its own.

Certainly, but then we aren't talking about the case of projectile motion, then it's just simple kinematics :-) but what it means, is that the particle can accelerate on its own.

Related to Projectiles and Vectors Graphs

1. What is a projectile in physics?

A projectile is any object that is given an initial velocity and then moves under the influence of gravity. This includes objects that are thrown, shot, or launched into the air.

2. How are projectiles represented on a vector graph?

Projectiles are represented on a vector graph by plotting the x and y components of their motion as vectors. The initial velocity is shown as a vector at the starting point, and the path of the projectile is represented by the changing direction and length of the vectors.

3. What is the difference between a scalar and a vector quantity?

A scalar quantity has only magnitude, meaning it is described by a single value. Examples include mass, speed, and temperature. A vector quantity has both magnitude and direction, meaning it is described by both a value and a direction. Examples include displacement, velocity, and force.

4. How can vectors be added and subtracted on a graph?

Vectors can be added and subtracted on a graph by using the head-to-tail method. This involves placing the tail of one vector at the head of the other and drawing a new vector from the tail of the first vector to the head of the second vector. The resulting vector represents the sum or difference of the two original vectors.

5. What is the significance of the angle of a vector on a graph?

The angle of a vector on a graph represents the direction of the vector. The angle is measured from the positive x-axis in a counterclockwise direction. For projectiles, the angle of the initial velocity vector determines the trajectory of the projectile and can be used to calculate its range, maximum height, and other motion parameters.