Projectile Motion Review Work Check

In summary, the conversation discusses a 4kg object being fired horizontally from a cliff 122.5 meters high with a velocity of 8 m/s. The questions ask about the time it takes for the object to hit the ground, the distance it travels from the base of the cliff, its speed right before hitting the ground, and the direction of its velocity. The equations used to solve these questions are d=.5at2, vf=vi+at, vh=dh/t, vf2=vi2+2ad, with a = 9.8 m/s/s (down). The solutions are t=5 seconds, d=162.5 meters, vf=57 m/s, and direction is 52.99
jacksonpeeble
Gold Member

Homework Statement

A 4kg object is fired with a horizontal velocity of 8 m/s from a cliff 122.5 meters high. a) How long does it take the projectile to hit the ground? b) How far from the base of the cliff does it land? c) What is its speed right before hitting the ground? d) What is the direction of the velocity right before hitting the ground?

Homework Equations

d=.5at2
vf=vi+at
vh=dh/t
vf2=vi2+2ad
a = acceleration = 9.8 m/s/s (down)
d = distance (dh = 122.5 m)
t = time
v = velocity (vi=8 m/s horizontal)

The Attempt at a Solution

a. d=.5at^2 = 122.5=.5*9.8*t^2, t=5 seconds
b. d=v0t+.5at^2 = d=8*5+.5*9.8*5^2, d=162.5 meters
c. vf^2=vi^2+2ad = vf^2=8^2+2*9.8*162.5, vf=57 m/s
d. tan^-1(162.5/122.5)=52.99 degrees

I believe I have done all of the work correctly, but the unit was a long time ago, so I'd greatly appreciate confirmation or corrections if necessary, since the review assignment is worth a significant amount of points.

Thank you very much in advance for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Any input? If all is correct (which I'm not entirely sure of), I'd appreciate verification, too!

Related to Projectile Motion Review Work Check

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion refers to the motion of an object that is projected into the air and moves along a curved path due to the influence of gravity. This type of motion can be seen in activities such as throwing a ball, shooting a cannonball, or launching a rocket.

2. What factors affect projectile motion?

The factors that affect projectile motion include the initial velocity, launch angle, air resistance, and the force of gravity. These factors can determine the shape, height, and distance of the projectile's path.

3. How does gravity affect projectile motion?

Gravity is a significant force that affects projectile motion. It acts in a downward direction, causing the projectile to accelerate towards the ground. This acceleration increases over time and is constant for all objects regardless of their mass.

4. What is the difference between horizontal and vertical components in projectile motion?

The horizontal component of projectile motion refers to the motion of the object in the x-axis, while the vertical component refers to the motion in the y-axis. The horizontal component remains constant, while the vertical component changes due to the influence of gravity.

5. How is the range of a projectile calculated?

The range of a projectile is the horizontal distance it travels before hitting the ground. It can be calculated using the formula R = (v²sin2θ)/g, where R is the range, v is the initial velocity, θ is the launch angle, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.