Motion Q: Dropping/Throwing Stone in Water-Vi, Vf, a, t, d

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the final velocity, distance, and initial velocity of a thrown object using the SUVAT equations. The final velocity is calculated to be 26.46m/s and the distance is 35.721m. The initial velocity is found using the equation s=ut+1/2at^2, which results in an initial velocity of 4.273m/s. Another problem involving dropping a stone onto a moving leaf is also mentioned.
Jeff97
Homework Statement
I'm asked to calculate a stone being dropped from rest to hit the water it takes 2.7s.

Now they throw the stone and it takes only 2.3s to reach the water what's was the speed they threw it at?
Relevant Equations
Vf=Vi+at d = 0.5 * g * t2
What I know for Number 1. t=2.7s d=? Vi=0m/s^-1 a=9.8m/s^-2 Vf=? Equation to use? Vf=Vi+at= 0+9.8m/s^-2x2.3= 26.46m/s So for number one the final velocity is 26.46m/s d = 0.5 * g * t2 = 0.5x9.8x2.7^2=35.721

Number 2 I know t=2.3s d=35.721 vi? Vf? a=9.8? what formula do I use?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Jeff97 said:
t=2.3s d=35.721 vi? Vf? a=9.8? what formula do I use?
In the commonest form of the SUVAT equations there are five variables, s, t, a, vi and vf. Five equations each omit one and use the other four.
Which of the five variables is not interesting? Which equation does that imply?

I was hoping you'd be able to assist me with this. But since you asked me I'll try my best. Are we finding acceleration or Vf or Vi this is what I'm unsure about? As I know s=35.7 t=2.3s I also believe I know acceleration to be $$9.8m/s^-2$$ I seem to only know 3 variables? As for the answer to this question I'm thinking it's either 4.244m/s I haven't had s similar question before so could use some help!

Jeff97 said:
Are we finding acceleration or Vf or Vi
It asks for the speed at which the stone was thrown, so vi. So do you know a SUVAT equation involving that and s, a and t? (I know you do!)

$$s=ut+1/2at^2$$ This could be wrong but I presume it correct because it contains s,a,t and Vi(u) and doesn't contain Vf which we don't know and aren't asked to solve during this question?

Jeff97 said:
$$s=ut+1/2at^2$$ This could be wrong but I presume it correct because it contains s,a,t and Vi(u) and doesn't contain Vf which we don't know and aren't asked to solve during this question?
That's the one.

Likes Jeff97
Alternate method using average velocity. Note that for uniform acceleration, average velocity occurs at the midpoint of the time interval separating ##v_i## and ##v_f##. ie $$v_{av}=v_i+\frac{aΔt}{2}=v_f-\frac{aΔt}{2}$$
First throw: $$v_{av1}\times2.7=d $$ Second throw: $$v_{av2}\times2.3=d$$ Hence: $$\frac{v_{av2}}{v_{av1}}=\frac{2.7}{2.3} $$ with ##v_{av1}=13.23 ms^{-1} ##

s=ut+1/2at^2 u=s/t - 1/2 at u=35.75/2.3-1/2x9.8x2.3= 4.27347826087 so about 4.3m s^1 ? is this the initial velocity he threw the ball at?

I've just found another problem corresponding somewhat to this: He then watches a leaf move down the stream at 0.30ms^1. He wants to drop a stone onto the leaf. Determine the position of the leaf at the instant when he must drop the stone.

Jeff97 said:
s=ut+1/2at^2 u=s/t - 1/2 at u=35.75/2.3-1/2x9.8x2.3= 4.27347826087 so about 4.3m s^1 ? is this the initial velocity he threw the ball at?
Yes.

Jeff97 said:
I've just found another problem corresponding somewhat to this: He then watches a leaf move down the stream at 0.30ms^1. He wants to drop a stone onto the leaf. Determine the position of the leaf at the instant when he must drop the stone.
This is rather different. Please start a new thread.

Jeff97 said:
@neilparker62 why is your answer different from mine?
@neilparker62 did not provide a finished answer. That analysis only went as far as finding the average speed in the thrown case. You need to combine that with an expression for the increase in speed in order to extract the initial speed.

Likes neilparker62

1. What is the initial velocity (Vi) of a stone dropped/ thrown in water?

The initial velocity (Vi) of a stone dropped/ thrown in water is the velocity at which the stone is released from the hand or thrown into the water. It is usually considered to be zero since the stone is initially at rest before being released or thrown.

2. What is the final velocity (Vf) of a stone dropped/ thrown in water?

The final velocity (Vf) of a stone dropped/ thrown in water is the velocity of the stone just before it hits the water surface. It can be calculated using the formula Vf = Vi + at, where a is the acceleration due to gravity and t is the time taken for the stone to fall.

3. What is the acceleration (a) of a stone dropped/ thrown in water?

The acceleration (a) of a stone dropped/ thrown in water is the rate at which the velocity of the stone changes. In this case, the acceleration is due to gravity and is approximately 9.8 m/s^2. This means that the velocity of the stone increases by 9.8 m/s every second it falls.

4. How long does it take (t) for a stone to hit the water when dropped/ thrown?

The time taken (t) for a stone to hit the water when dropped/ thrown depends on the initial velocity (Vi) of the stone and the height (d) from which it was dropped or thrown. It can be calculated using the formula t = √(2d/g), where g is the acceleration due to gravity.

5. What is the distance (d) traveled by a stone dropped/ thrown in water?

The distance (d) traveled by a stone dropped/ thrown in water is the vertical distance between the initial position and the final position of the stone. It can be calculated using the formula d = (Vi + Vf)/2 * t, where Vi is the initial velocity, Vf is the final velocity, and t is the time taken for the stone to fall.