Projectile motion problem - tennis player hits a ball

In summary, the conversation discusses a tennis player hitting a ball towards a net at an initial speed of 25m/s, with the ball being hit at a height of 2.5 meters and a horizontal distance of 15 meters from the net. The task is to calculate the time it takes for the ball to reach the net, the change in height during this time, and the height at which the ball hits the net. The correct formula to use for the horizontal motion is s = vt, and the correct time is 0.6 seconds. The change in height is 1.764 meters, and the height at which the ball hits the net is 0.736 meters.
5ymmetrica1

Homework Statement

A tennis player hits a ball horizontally towards a net of height 0.90 meters, at an initial speed of 25m/s. The ball is hit at a height of 2.5 meters above the ground and at a horizontal distance of 15 meters from the net. Ignore the effects of air resistance and spin

(a) show that the time it takes the ball to reach the net is 0.6 seconds
(b) hence calculate the change in height of the ball during this time
(c) determine the height at which the ball hits the net

Homework Equations

s = vt+1/2gt2

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) sv = vvt + 1/2 gvt2

∴t =√2sv/gv
∴t = 0.7 seconds
but t should = 0.6 seconds

(b) sv = 1/2 gvt2

∴sv = 1/2 x 9.8 x 0.62
∴sv = 1.764 meters

(c)
2.5-1.764 = 0.736 meters

but I know these answers are wrong, since part (a) is wrong. Where am I going wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
5ymmetrica1 said:

Homework Equations

s = vt+1/2gt2

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) sv = vvt + 1/2 gvt2

∴t =√2sv/gv
∴t = 0.7 seconds
but t should = 0.6 seconds

Why did You use that formula?

The initial velocity is HORIZONTAL. Is the any HORIZONTAL acceleration? What equation should you use for the HORIZONTAL displacement (a)?

Thanks for the reply? which formula am I supposed to use with the given data? I thought when the launch angle was 90 degrees to g that this is formula I needed to use.

Should I use vt = v0 + gt

g is is the acceleration due to gravity. It is VERTICAL. Forget about the vertical motion for a second, think only about the horizontal motion. This is what (a) is all about.

ahh yes of course, I understand now so sh =vht

so t = sh/ vh

∴t = 15/22

∴t = 0.6 seconds

How are my answers for part (b) and (c)?

Now it is all fine.

thanks voko!

Related to Projectile motion problem - tennis player hits a ball

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air, when the only force acting on it is gravity.

2. How does the angle of the tennis player's racket affect the ball's trajectory?

The angle at which the racket hits the ball will determine the initial angle of the ball's trajectory. It can also affect the ball's speed and spin, which can further impact its trajectory.

3. Why does the ball follow a curved path instead of a straight line?

This curved path is a result of the combination of the ball's initial velocity and the force of gravity acting on it. As the ball moves forward, it also falls due to gravity, resulting in a curved path known as a parabola.

4. How does air resistance affect the motion of the ball?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can slow down the ball's motion and reduce its distance traveled. This can be especially significant for objects with a larger surface area, such as a tennis ball, as they experience greater air resistance.

5. What factors can affect the maximum height and range of the ball?

The maximum height and range of the ball are affected by factors such as the initial velocity, angle of the racket, air resistance, and the force of gravity. These factors all play a role in determining the overall trajectory of the ball.