Projectile Motion - Hitting an edge

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving finding the expression for the start velocity v0 in a projectile motion where a ball must hit a corner at a specific distance and angle, with no air resistance. The equations for normal projectile motion are provided and a few different approaches are discussed, with the final solution involving eliminating time in the equations to find v0. The conversation ends with the poster expressing gratitude and looking forward to participating in the forum.
Mcoroklo

Homework Statement

I've made a picture of the situation:

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/7177/drawing1m.jpg

I need to find the expression for the start velocity v0. The ball should exactly hit the corner.

The function should have the distance L (Which both is x-distance and y-distance to the point) and the angle a as variables.

We can ignore air resistance.

Homework Equations

Normal projectile motion equations:
x=(v0*cos(a)*t
y=(v0*sin(a)*t-1/2*g*t^2)

vx=v0*cos(a)
vy=v0*sin(a)-gt

The Attempt at a Solution

I've been sitting with he assignment for 2 hours - trying both creative and stupid solutions!

First attempt was setting x=L and y=L and find the expression for v0.

I've also trying to set the v=0, but afterwards finding out the ball speed doesn't have to be zero.

Nothing has worked out so far.

Any suggestions?

Thanks alot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Might try this approach...

How far below the corner would the projectile strike if you aimed directly at the corner?

Hi Mcoroklo, welcome to PF>

Your two starting equations are correct. Use the first equation to eliminate time in the second. That should give you what you need.

... Thanks a lot!

I guess you guys know the feeling. A lot of time spend on outrageous thoughts, afterwards finding the solution is way simpler.
I actually had your solution to Kuruman, checked for input (40deg and 10m). It gave complex numbers and I tried another approach. Ofcourse it should give complex numbers for each angle outside the span of 45-90..

Thanks a lot to both of you.

Looking forward to participate in the forum, hopefully helping people to! :-)

Mcoroklo said:
... Thanks a lot!

I guess you guys know the feeling. A lot of time spend on outrageous thoughts, afterwards finding the solution is way simpler.
I actually had your solution to Kuruman, checked for input (40deg and 10m). It gave complex numbers and I tried another approach. Ofcourse it should give complex numbers for each angle outside the span of 45-90..

Thanks a lot to both of you.

Looking forward to participate in the forum, hopefully helping people to! :-)

Actually I read the problem wrong initially, I thought you were trying to solve for the angle given an initial velocity. But, if it helped, I am happy. The other posters approach is easier, my proposal was a conceptual way that might help with other similar problems. And it may have helped eliminate unecessary stuff if you were guessing and checking with numbers.

Last edited:

Related to Projectile Motion - Hitting an edge

What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion refers to the motion of an object that is thrown, launched, or propelled through the air. It follows a curved path due to the influence of gravity.

What factors affect projectile motion?

The factors that affect projectile motion are the initial velocity, the angle of launch, the air resistance, and the force of gravity.

How do you calculate the range of a projectile?

The range of a projectile can be calculated using the formula: R = (v2sin(2θ))/g, where R is the range, v is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of launch, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

What happens when a projectile hits an edge?

When a projectile hits an edge, it will either bounce off or get deflected in a different direction depending on the angle and velocity of the projectile, as well as the angle and surface of the edge.

How can projectile motion be applied in real-life situations?

Projectile motion has many real-life applications, such as in sports like baseball and tennis, in launching rockets and satellites, and in calculating the trajectory of objects in motion, such as a ball being thrown or a bullet being fired.