Projectile motion - equations giving different answers?

In summary, The problem is to find the horizontal distance where an object launched at an angle of 60 degrees and with an initial velocity of 5.442m/s from a pipe 16cm long at the top of a staircase 1.31m high will land. The equations used are dx = 2v1^2sinθcosθ / g, dy = vyΔt+1/2gΔt^2, and dx = vxΔt. The components found were vx = 2.721 and vy = 4.713. It is unclear whether the 1.3m given is the exit point or the base of the pipe, which would affect the calculations. The total height would
lilyxmo

Homework Statement

If an object is being launched from the top of a staircase 1.31m high from a pipe 16cm long, at an angle of 60 degrees. Find where the object will land if the initial velocity is 5.442m/s.

Homework Equations

dx = 2v1^2sinθcosθ / g

dy = vyΔt+1/2gΔt^2

dx = vxΔt

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the components to be
vx = 2.721
vy = 4.713

then i just used these in the two methods
the answers should both be the same, but the dx i got from both was very different
Am i doing something wrong? which one would be the correct answer?

Also, for the first method, i put 120 degrees as negative as it is below my reference point, or it would give me a neg. distance.

Attachments

• bl.jpg
    bl.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 399
Physics news on Phys.org
There is an issue with the wording of the problem. Is the 1.3 m the exit point of the pipe or the base of the pipe? If it's the base, then you'd need to take into account the pipe's 16 cm length. If it's the exit point you wouldn't need to know the length of the pipe, so it seems more likely that 1.3 m is the base of the pipe.

to the base of the pipe
so the total height would be the stairs + height of top of stairs to the opening of the pipe

which is 1.324m

Attachments

• diagram.jpg
    diagram.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 453
Assuming 60 degrees is from horizontal as you've shown, it looks OK so far.

There could be a few reasons why the two methods are giving different answers. First, make sure that you are using the correct values for the initial velocity and angle. Double check your calculations to ensure that you are using the correct components for vx and vy.

Another possible reason for the discrepancy could be due to rounding errors or significant figures. Make sure that you are using enough significant figures in your calculations to minimize any errors.

Lastly, it is possible that one of the equations you are using is not appropriate for this specific problem. It is always important to carefully choose the equations you use and make sure they are applicable to the problem at hand.

To determine which answer is correct, you could try using a different method to solve the problem, such as using the kinematic equations or graphing the motion. This way, you can compare your answers and see which one is most accurate.

In terms of the negative distance, it is important to consider the direction of the motion when using the equations. In this case, the object is being launched downwards, so the distance should be negative. However, this does not necessarily mean that your answer is incorrect. As long as you are consistent with your direction and use the correct sign conventions, your answer should be accurate.

In summary, it is important to double check your calculations and consider the appropriateness of the equations being used. If you are still unsure, try using a different method to solve the problem and compare your answers.

Related to Projectile motion - equations giving different answers?

What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object that is thrown, launched, or otherwise projected into the air and is subject to the force of gravity. It follows a curved path known as a parabola.

What are the equations used to calculate projectile motion?

The equations used to calculate projectile motion are the vertical motion equation, the horizontal motion equation, and the combined motion equation. These equations take into account the initial velocity, acceleration due to gravity, and time to calculate the position, velocity, and acceleration of the object at any given time.

Why do different equations give different answers for projectile motion?

Different equations give different answers for projectile motion because they are used to calculate different aspects of the motion. The vertical motion equation is used to calculate the vertical position and velocity, while the horizontal motion equation is used to calculate the horizontal position and velocity. The combined motion equation takes into account both the vertical and horizontal components of motion.

What are some factors that can affect the accuracy of projectile motion equations?

Some factors that can affect the accuracy of projectile motion equations include air resistance, wind, and the shape and weight of the object. These factors can cause slight variations in the motion of the object, resulting in different answers when using different equations.

How can I ensure more accurate results when using projectile motion equations?

To ensure more accurate results when using projectile motion equations, it is important to use the correct equations for the specific situation, take into account any external factors that may affect the motion of the object, and perform multiple calculations to compare and check the results.