Projectile Motion and Human Cannonball

In summary, a student is working on a calculus presentation and needs help solving a problem involving projectile motion in human cannonballs. The problem involves determining the length of a pool, the distance between the cannon and a wall, and the elevation angle needed for the cannonball to clear the pool. After some calculations, the student finds that a 45 degree angle of elevation will result in the maximum range for the cannon, but this may not necessarily make the pool the longest possible. The student is asked to check their assumptions and to try plugging in a larger value for the angle to see if it would result in a longer pool.
micnike1

Homework Statement

Hi,
I am doing an end of the year calculus presentation on projectile motion in human cannonballs. As an introduction to the projectile motion equations, my group found this problem:
Blammo is to be fired from 5mabove ground level with a muzzle velocity of 35m/s over a flaming wall that is 20 m high and past a 5-m-high shark pool. To make the feat impressive, the pool will be made as long as possible. Your job as Blammo’s manager is to determine the length of the pool, how far to place the cannon from the wall, and what elevation angle to use to ensure that Blammo clears the pool.
The original problem with a figure of it can be found http://higheredbcs.wiley.com/legacy/college/anton/0471482730/calc_horizons/blammo.pdf"

I'm not a physics student, so thank you for any help!​

Homework Equations

I'm sorry, but I couldn't figure out the latex equations...Hope these are clear enough.

Projectile Motion Formulas
R=(vo2/g)sin(2q)
r(t)=v0xti+(voyt-.5gt2j
which, if I'm correct (??) breaks down into:
x(t)=xo+voxt
y(t)=yo+voyt-.5gt2

(Are there equations I'm missing for this problem that would be more useful/better than these??)

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay...Here we go:

R=(vo2/g)sin(2q)
For the range of the cannon (R) to be maximum, the angle of elevation (q) must equal 45o.
R=(352/9.798)sin(2*45)
R=125.026m​

x(t)=xo+voxt
y(t)=yo+voyt-.5gt2
@45o, vox=voy.
vox=vocos(q)
vox=voy=24.749m/s

I placed the wall of fire at x=0. So, solving for xo would give the distance from the wall the cannon must be placed. (Correct??)
0=xo+voxt
t=-xo/vox
Sub t into the y(t) equation:
y(t)=20=5+voyt-.5gt2
15=-xo-4.899(-xo/24.749)2
xo=-17.43m

R+xo=length of pool
The pool is 107.596m long.​

So, I think I have solved this correctly. One thing I'm worried about is the assumption of q=45o. I know this makes R the greatest, but does it make the length of the pool the greatest? If the angle was steeper, could the cannon be placed closer to the fire, making the pool be a greater part of the path?

Any help or confirmation of my answers would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
micnike1: Your equations and math are correct (for q = 45 deg), except g appears to be inaccurate. However, your equations are not general, because they assume voy = vox, which is not true in the general case. Furthermore, your worry is well founded, because your answer is incorrect. After making your equations general (as mentioned above), how about if you check your assumption for q? Try plugging in a larger value for q, but less than 53 deg, and see what happens.

Thanks nvn.

I've spent about an hour now trying to manipulate the equations into a general form. But I always end up with two variables (q and xo) and am not able to substitute one for the other. Am I missing something here? Maybe I've misunderstood what you mean...

Your variables sound fine, if you did not use voy = vox in your new derivation. Did you? In post 1, it appears you said voy = vox.

You're right, I did use voy=vox to cancel things out in the step 15=voy(-xo/vox)-.5g(-xo/vox)^2. Not using that assumption, I get down to 15=-xotan(q)-.5g(-xo/(vocos(q)))2.

Where do I go from here. I'm like completely lost in this problem now...
Thanks again,
Mike

Excellent, micnike1. Also rederive your first equation under relevant equations in post 1. Then proceed as you did in post 1 to solve the problem. Also see post 2.

Related to Projectile Motion and Human Cannonball

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object that is thrown, launched, or otherwise projected into the air and then follows a curved path due to the force of gravity acting on it. It is a combination of horizontal and vertical motion.

2. How is projectile motion used in human cannonball acts?

In human cannonball acts, a person is launched out of a cannon and flies through the air in a curved path due to the force of gravity. The angle and speed at which the person is launched, as well as the height of the cannon, all play a role in determining the trajectory of the person's flight.

3. What factors affect the distance and accuracy of a human cannonball's flight?

The distance and accuracy of a human cannonball's flight are affected by several factors such as the angle and speed of launch, the weight and height of the person, air resistance, and wind conditions. Additionally, the landing surface and any obstacles in the path of the flight can also impact the distance and accuracy.

4. Is it dangerous for a person to be launched out of a cannon?

Yes, human cannonball acts can be very dangerous and should only be performed by trained professionals. The force of being launched out of a cannon can cause serious injuries if proper precautions and safety measures are not taken.

5. Can projectile motion calculations be used to predict the trajectory of a human cannonball?

Yes, projectile motion calculations can be used to predict the trajectory of a human cannonball, but they may not always be accurate due to the many variables involved, such as air resistance and wind conditions. It is important for human cannonball performers to also have a strong understanding of physics and experience to ensure a safe and successful performance.