Projectile, and uniform circular motion questions

In summary, the conversation discusses questions related to projectile motion and uniform circular motion. The first question asks for the launch angle that will result in the projectile landing at half of its maximum range. The answer is 30 degrees or 150 degrees due to the doubling effect of sin 2 theta. The second question involves a bicycle wheel's angular acceleration and asks for the number of revolutions it will make while stopping. The third question asks for the difference in speed between the top and bottom of a 300 m tower on the equator. The last question involves a magnetic computer disk and asks for the speed and number of revolutions at a certain time.
reverse
Projectile, and uniform circular motion questions please help!

can anyone please help me.. i keep getting the wrong answers over and over.. you don't have to solve the problem or give me the results.. explanation of how to do them would really be appreciated.. thanks in advance.

1) A projectile's horizontal range on level ground is R=(V0)^2sin2(theta)/g. At what launch angle or angles will the projectile land at half of its maximum possible range.

2) A well-lubricated bicycle wheel spins a long time before stopping. Suppose a wheel initially rotating at 150 takes 62 to stop. If the angular acceleration is constant, how many revolutions does the wheel make while stopping?

3)A 300-m-tall tower is built on the equator. How much faster does a point at the top of the tower move than a point at the bottom?

4)A magnetic computer disk 8.0 cm in diameter is initially at rest. A small dot is painted on the edge of the disk. The disk accelerates at 600 rad/ s^2 for 1/2 s, then coasts at a steady angular velocity for another 1/2 s . a) What is the speed of the dot at t = 1.0 s?
b)Through how many revolutions has it turned?

thanks advance for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org

For the first question : Vo squared times sin 2 theta. This means that whatever angle you plug in, it will be doubled. Think about which angle will give you the maximum possible sin value (1).

Mattowander said:
For the first question : Vo squared times sin 2 theta. This means that whatever angle you plug in, it will be doubled. Think about which angle will give you the maximum possible sin value (1).

ya i did that.. and i got 45 degrees, is that right tho??.. because it wasnt the right answer..

and if taking the half of it would be 22.5 degrees??

I apologize. I misread the first question. Instead of looking for the angle that will give you the maximum possible sin value, look for the angle that will give you half of that. :)

Mattowander said:
I apologize. I misread the first question. Instead of looking for the angle that will give you the maximum possible sin value, look for the angle that will give you half of that. :)

no problem..
ok so i got 30 degrees and 150 degrees..?

It's most likely going to be 30 degrees although I suppose 150 degrees would work too :)

You tell me, is that the right answer?

Mattowander said:
It's most likely going to be 30 degrees although I suppose 150 degrees would work too :)

You tell me, is that the right answer?

no :( i don't know why??

Because of the 2 in the sin 2 theta. Does that hint help you? What's the angle?

Mattowander said:
Because of the 2 in the sin 2 theta. Does that hint help you? What's the angle?

i divided and multiplied 30 by 2 and both answers were wrong

That's weird. I'm not sure why that answer would be wrong.

I figured it out! Well I didn't figure it out, I got the right answer. I cheated by graphing y=sin2x, and traced the curve to about .5 on the y-axis on both sides of 45[tex]\circ[/tex]. I'm still not sure on the logic though, I can see how the period is cut in half by the 2x. And I can see how the shorter period combined with the same max height make the curve "steeper." But I don't understand why it's not at the halfway point of the period. Is it because its the halfway point of the tangents slope?

Related to Projectile, and uniform circular motion questions

1. What is a projectile?

A projectile is any object that is thrown, shot, or launched into the air and moves along a curved path due to the influence of gravity.

2. What is the equation for projectile motion?

The equation for projectile motion is given by:
y = y0 + v0t + (1/2)at2
x = x0 + v0xt + (1/2)at2
where y and x are the vertical and horizontal positions, y0 and x0 are the initial positions, v0 is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration due to gravity, and t is time.

3. What is uniform circular motion?

Uniform circular motion is the motion of an object in a circular path at a constant speed. The direction of motion is constantly changing, but the speed remains the same.

4. What is the centripetal force in uniform circular motion?

The centripetal force in uniform circular motion is the force that is directed towards the center of the circle and keeps the object moving in a circular path. It is given by the equation:
Fc = mv2/r
where m is the mass of the object, v is the velocity, and r is the radius of the circle.

5. How is uniform circular motion related to projectile motion?

Uniform circular motion can be seen as a special case of projectile motion, where the object is constantly changing direction but maintaining a constant speed. The equations for projectile motion can be used to analyze the vertical and horizontal components of the motion in uniform circular motion.