Progressive harmonic wave & reflection / transmission

In summary, a 500 Hz incident wave with a power of 50 W and an amplitude of 5 mm travels to the positive x direction in a linear density rope with an unknown density u1. When it encounters another rope with a linear density of 64 g/m (u2=0.064 kg/m), the transmitted wave has a power of 32 W. To determine u1 and the impedance values Z1 and Z2, the formula T = Wt/Wi is used, where T is the transmission coefficient and Wt and Wi are the transmitted and incident powers, respectively. After solving for T, the reflection coefficient R is found by subtracting T from 1. The value of R is then set equal to
masterchiefo

Homework Statement

An incident wave frequency f =500Hz , power Wi = 50 W and amplitude Ai= 5 mm spreads to the positive x in a linear density rope u1 unknown. When the wave encounters another rope ( attached to the first at a point P) density linear u2= 64 g/m (such as u2>u1 ) , The transmitted wave has a power Wt = 32 Watts.

a) Determine u1, and the value of the impedance Z1 and Z2.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

64g/m = 0.064kg/m
5 mm = 0.005 m

T = Wt/Wi
T= 32/50
T = 0.64

R + T = 1 => R + 0.64 = 1
R = 0.36
R = r2
0.36 = r2
r = 0.6

Ar = r*Ai
Ar = 0.6 * 0.005
Ar = 0.003

sqrt(u1)/sqrt(u2) = (Ai + Ar)/ (Ai - Ar)
sqrt(u1)/sqrt(0.064) = (0.005 + 0.003)/ (0.005 - 0.003)
u1 = 0.1024

Something is wrong and I can't figure it out, I know its wrong because it says u2 has to be bigger than u1, and my answer of u1 is bigger than u2.

thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Show your reasoning at each stage in the calculation.

I resolved this problem, I do not need help.

You can help others if you show how you solved the problem.

1. What is a progressive harmonic wave?

A progressive harmonic wave is a type of wave that propagates through a medium and has a harmonically varying amplitude and phase. This means that the wave has a repeating pattern and the amplitude and phase of the wave change in a sinusoidal manner.

2. How is a progressive harmonic wave created?

A progressive harmonic wave is created by a disturbance or vibration in a medium. This disturbance causes the particles in the medium to oscillate, creating the wave. The frequency of the wave is determined by the frequency of the disturbance.

3. What is reflection in the context of waves?

Reflection is the phenomenon where a wave bounces off a surface and changes direction. This occurs when the wave encounters a change in medium or a boundary between two mediums. The angle of reflection is equal to the angle of incidence.

4. What is transmission in the context of waves?

Transmission is the phenomenon where a wave passes through a medium and continues propagating. This occurs when the wave encounters a change in medium or a boundary between two mediums. The amount of transmission depends on the properties of the two mediums and the angle of incidence.

5. How does the reflection and transmission of a progressive harmonic wave differ?

The reflection and transmission of a progressive harmonic wave differ in terms of the direction of the wave after encountering a boundary. In reflection, the wave bounces off the surface and changes direction, while in transmission, the wave passes through the boundary and continues propagating. The amount of reflection and transmission also depends on the properties of the two mediums and the angle of incidence.