Solving Frequency of Harmonic Wave Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a 2.12-m long rope with a mass of 0.116 kg and a tension of 62.9 N. An oscillator at one end sends a harmonic wave with an amplitude of 1.09 cm down the rope, and the other end is terminated to absorb all the energy. The question asks for the frequency of the oscillator if the power transmitted is 118 W. The conversation includes relevant equations such as V_{wave}=f\lambda, V_{wave string}=\sqrt{\frac{\tau}{\frac{m}{L}}}, and \omega=\frac{2\pi}{T}=2\pi*f. Attempted solution involves using the Power equation
zhartman

Homework Statement

A 2.12-m long rope has a mass of 0.116 kg. The tension is 62.9 N. An oscillator at one end sends a harmonic wave with an amplitude of 1.09 cm down the rope. The other end of the rope is terminated so all of the energy of the wave is absorbed and none is reflected. What is the frequency of the oscillator if the power transmitted is 118 W?

Homework Equations

[itex]V_{wave}=f\lambda[/itex]
[itex]V_{wave string}=\sqrt{\frac{\tau}{\frac{m}{L}}}[/itex]
[itex]\omega=\frac{2pi}{T}=2\pi*f[/itex]
[itex]P=(\frac{1}{2})(\mu)(V_{wave})(\omega)^2(A)^2[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the Power equation I plugged in the general form for [itex]v_{wave}[/itex] as well as the general for [itex]\omega[/itex]. Since there is no wavelength given and one harmonic wave is passing I plugged in L for [itex]\lambda[/itex], giving me;
[itex]P=(\frac{1}{2})\sqrt{\frac{\tau}{\frac{m}{L}}}(fL)(4*\pi^2*f^2)(A)^2[/itex]

Solving for f:

[itex]f^3=\frac{2P}{4\pi^2A^2L\sqrt{\frac{\tau}{\frac{m}{L}}}}[/itex]

I'm not sure where I am going wrong in this; I believe all of my algebra is correct. Does it have something to do with [itex](\lambda)\neq(L)[/itex] here.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes = ##\lambda \neq L##

Related to Solving Frequency of Harmonic Wave Problem

What is a harmonic wave?

A harmonic wave is a type of wave that has a repeating pattern of motion. It is characterized by a constant frequency and wavelength, and its amplitude remains constant over time.

How is the frequency of a harmonic wave calculated?

The frequency of a harmonic wave is calculated by dividing the speed of the wave by its wavelength. This can be expressed mathematically as f = v/λ, where f is the frequency, v is the speed, and λ is the wavelength.

What factors affect the frequency of a harmonic wave?

The frequency of a harmonic wave is affected by two main factors: the speed of the wave and the wavelength. Changes in these factors will result in a change in frequency. Additionally, the medium through which the wave is traveling can also affect its frequency.

How do you solve for the frequency of a harmonic wave problem?

To solve for the frequency of a harmonic wave problem, you will need to know the speed of the wave, the wavelength, or both. Once you have these values, you can use the formula f = v/λ to calculate the frequency. It is important to use consistent units for speed and wavelength in order to get an accurate result.

Why is the frequency of a harmonic wave important to understand?

The frequency of a harmonic wave is important to understand because it affects many aspects of the wave, such as its energy, velocity, and propagation. It is also a key factor in determining the behavior and properties of various types of waves, including sound waves, light waves, and electromagnetic waves.