Programming for undergrad physics major

In summary, the speaker is starting their undergraduate degree in physical/mathematical sciences at the University of Toronto and has a long-term goal of a career in academia, possibly in theoretical physics. They are interested in volunteering with a research group and want to know if there are any programming languages or software programs they should self-study before starting. The expert suggests learning python, as well as basic mathematical programs like matlab, mathematica, and maple, along with statistical software like SAS or R. They also recommend becoming familiar with Mathematica and learning C++, Fortran, Java, and Linux/Unix.
plancking
I'm starting my undergraduate degree in physical/mathematical sciences at the University of Toronto in the fall. My long-term goal at this point is a career in academia, probably theoretical physics, but I don't want to close any doors on the experimental side. Other than coursework, I would like to volunteer with a research group. Are there any programming languages that I should self-study before I get there? U of T's physics curriculum doesn't seem too heavy on computational physics but I want to be well-prepared.

Also - tangentially related - are there any software programs with a steep learning curve that I should start learning now?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, there's quite a few programming languages you can and should learn. I tend to recommend python, because it's extremely useful and relatively easy to learn. Once you learn one language, learning more becomes a bit more simple.

On the software side, it wouldn't hurt to learn a basic mathematical program like matlab, mathematica, maple and on the statistical side SAS or R(it's free!).

Thank you, that's very helpful!

C++, learning to read fortran, Python, and Matlab should serve you well. Maybe java.

Python, Matlab and LabView

Also Linux/unix

I second the suggestions of C++ and Matlab. I also suggest being very familiar with Mathematica.

Related to Programming for undergrad physics major

What is programming for undergrad physics major?

Programming for undergrad physics major is the use of computer programming languages and tools to solve problems and analyze data in the field of physics. It involves writing code to create simulations, analyze experimental data, and model physical systems.

Why is programming important for undergrad physics major?

Programming is important for undergrad physics major because it allows for more efficient and accurate analysis of data and simulations. It also helps students develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills that are crucial in the field of physics.

What programming languages should I learn as an undergrad physics major?

As an undergrad physics major, it is recommended to learn a general-purpose programming language like Python, as well as a specialized language like MATLAB or Mathematica that are commonly used in physics research. It is also beneficial to learn a programming language specific to your field of interest, such as C++ for computational physics or LabVIEW for experimental physics.

Do I need prior programming experience to learn programming for undergrad physics major?

No, prior programming experience is not necessary to learn programming for undergrad physics major. However, having a basic understanding of programming concepts and logic can make it easier to learn and apply programming skills in physics.

How can I practice and improve my programming skills for undergrad physics major?

The best way to practice and improve programming skills for undergrad physics major is to work on projects and assignments related to physics. Additionally, there are online resources and tutorials available that can help you learn and practice programming skills specific to physics applications.