Product rule. what did I do wrong?

In summary, the conversation was about a person struggling with calculus questions that relied heavily on algebra. They were discussing a specific question that required finding the first derivative and simplifying it using the product rule. The person only received 1 out of 2 points on this question, but their answer seemed to match the slope of the original function when graphed. They wondered if the teacher expected them to simplify the answer or factor it further. The teacher may have wanted the answer to be factored into a polynomial with fewer terms.
tony873004
Science Advisor
Gold Member
It's been too long since I've had an algebra class, so I start getting into trouble as these calculus questions rely more and more on algebra.

[tex]
\begin{array}{l}
y = (4x - 5)^4 \,(3x + 1)^5 \\
{\rm{Find the first derivative}}{\rm{. Simplify if possible (i}}{\rm{.e}}{\rm{. factor)}}{\rm{. Use the product rule}}{\rm{.}} \\
\left( {(4x - 5)^4 } \right)^\prime \left( {(3x + 1)^5 } \right) + \left( {(4x - 5)^4 } \right)\left( {(3x + 1)^5 } \right)^\prime \\
\\
\left( {4(4x - 5)^3 (4x - 5)'} \right)\left( {(3x + 1)^5 } \right) + \left( {(4x - 5)^4 } \right)\left( {5(3x + 1)^4 (3x + 1)'} \right) \\
\\
4(4x - 5)^3 (4)(3x + 1)^5 + (4x - 5)^4 \,\,5(3x + 1)^4 (3) \\
\\
16(4x - 5)^3 (3x + 1)^5 + 15(4x - 5)^4 (3x + 1)^4 \\
\end{array}
[/tex]
I only got 1 point out of 2 on this question. But when I graph it to check the answer, my formula seems to give me the correct slope at all points on the original function. Was the teacher expecting me to simplify this answer?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes you have the correct answer. I guess the teacher wanted you to expand, which is silly because it's an 8th degree polynomial with coefficients in the millions.

Maybe he wanted you to factor it even more.

Edit: Well after reading the jibberish you wrote in tex :wink: the problem said to factor the final answer.

Last edited:
Perhaps the teacher wanted this:
[tex]
\left( {4x - 5} \right)^3 \left( {3x + 1} \right)^4 \left( {16(3x + 1) + 15(4x - 5)} \right)
[/tex]
Should I try to factor out the 15 and the 16, which would eliminate one of them, and leave me with a fraction? That would look ugly. Do you suppose the teacher would have wanted this?

dav2008 said:
Edit: Well after reading the jibberish you wrote in tex :wink: the problem said to factor the final answer.
Sorry about that. Tex ignored my spaces. From now on, I'll put my text outside the TEX.

Well if you just expand that last term you end up with [tex]
\left( {4x - 5} \right)^3 \left( {3x + 1} \right)^4 \left( {108x-59} \right)
[/tex]

Chances are that's what he was looking for. When in doubt just ask him what he was looking for.

Thanks dav2008. His office hours are impossible for me because of work. And there's always a line of students asking q's after class.

Stay tuned for more questions. I'm going over my last 2 tests and trying to figure out all the problems I missed. I might see these on the final!

Related to Product rule. what did I do wrong?

1. What is the product rule and how does it work?

The product rule is a mathematical rule used in calculus to find the derivative of a product of two functions. It states that the derivative of the product of two functions is equal to the first function multiplied by the derivative of the second function, plus the second function multiplied by the derivative of the first function.

2. When do I use the product rule?

The product rule should be used when finding the derivative of a product of two functions. This includes situations where one function is multiplied by a constant, or when both functions contain variables.

3. Can the product rule be used for more than two functions?

No, the product rule can only be used for two functions at a time. If there are more than two functions being multiplied together, the rule must be applied multiple times.

4. What are some common mistakes when using the product rule?

Some common mistakes when using the product rule include forgetting to apply the rule to both functions, mixing up the order of the functions, and not simplifying the final result. It is important to double check your work and make sure all steps are followed correctly.

5. How can I practice and improve my understanding of the product rule?

The best way to practice and improve your understanding of the product rule is to solve lots of practice problems. You can find examples and practice questions online or in textbooks. It is also helpful to work through problems with a tutor or study group to get feedback and clarification on any mistakes.