Product of Exponential Form (easy)

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of e^{i\theta_1}e^{i\theta_2} and the confusion over the real part of the answer. The conversation suggests using the trigonometric identities \sin(\alpha \pm \beta) and \cos(\alpha \pm \beta) to properly calculate the real part of the answer.
DEMJ

Homework Statement

[tex]e^{i\theta_1}e^{i\theta_2} = e^{i(\theta_1 + \theta_2)}}[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For some reason every I multiply [tex](cos\theta_1 + isin\theta_1)(cos\theta_2 + isin\theta_2)[/tex] I am getting

[tex](cos\theta_1 cos\theta_2 + sin\theta_1 sin\theta_2) + i(sin\theta_1 cos\theta_2 + cos\theta_1 sin\theta_2)[/tex]

according to my book the first part should be [tex](cos\theta_1 cos\theta_2 - sin\theta_1 sin\theta_2)[/tex]

what am I missing here? Is it some basic fundamental from calculus I have forgotten?

What I am doing is [tex]cos\theta_1 cos\theta_2 - (isin\theta_1)(isin\theta_2) = cos\theta_1 cos\theta_2 - i^2 sin\theta_1 sin\theta_2[/tex] since [tex]i^2 = -1[/tex] that makes it positive. But this can't be right because both the book and my notes from class cannot be wrong. So please enlighten me =]

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]e^{ix} = \cos x + i\sin x,\,\![/tex]

Substitute x=[itex]\theta_1 + \theta_2[/itex] and then use:

[tex]\sin(\alpha \pm \beta) = \sin \alpha \cos \beta \pm \cos \alpha \sin \beta \,[/tex]

[tex]\cos(\alpha \pm \beta) = \cos \alpha \cos \beta \mp \sin \alpha \sin \beta\,[/tex]

DEMJ said:

Homework Statement

[tex]e^{i\theta_1}e^{i\theta_2} = e^{i(\theta_1 + \theta_2)}}[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For some reason every I multiply [tex](cos\theta_1 + isin\theta_1)(cos\theta_2 + isin\theta_2)[/tex] I am getting

[tex](cos\theta_1 cos\theta_2 + sin\theta_1 sin\theta_2) + i(sin\theta_1 cos\theta_2 + cos\theta_1 sin\theta_2)[/tex]
For the real part you should be getting cos(th1)cos(th2) + i^2*sin(th1)sin(th2). I think you omitted the i^2 factor.
DEMJ said:
according to my book the first part should be [tex](cos\theta_1 cos\theta_2 - sin\theta_1 sin\theta_2)[/tex]

what am I missing here? Is it some basic fundamental from calculus I have forgotten?

What I am doing is [tex]cos\theta_1 cos\theta_2 - (isin\theta_1)(isin\theta_2) = cos\theta_1 cos\theta_2 - i^2 sin\theta_1 sin\theta_2[/tex] since [tex]i^2 = -1[/tex] that makes it positive. But this can't be right because both the book and my notes from class cannot be wrong. So please enlighten me =]

DEMJ said:
For some reason every I multiply [tex](cos\theta_1 + isin\theta_1)(cos\theta_2 + isin\theta_2)[/tex]

...What I am doing is [tex]cos\theta_1 cos\theta_2 - (isin\theta_1)(isin\theta_2) = cos\theta_1 cos\theta_2 - i^2 sin\theta_1 sin\theta_2[/tex] since [tex]i^2 = -1[/tex] that makes it positive.
Why are you subtracting? Once you answer that, you should be all set.

Related to Product of Exponential Form (easy)

1. What is the product of exponential form?

The product of exponential form is a mathematical expression in which two or more exponential terms are multiplied together. It can be written as ax * by, where a and b are the base numbers and x and y are the exponents.

2. How do you simplify a product of exponential form?

To simplify a product of exponential form, you can use the laws of exponents. For example, if the bases are the same, you can add the exponents. If the exponents are the same, you can multiply the bases. If the exponents are fractions, you can use negative exponents to rewrite them as positive exponents.

3. Can you give an example of a product of exponential form?

Sure, an example of a product of exponential form is 23 * 52. This can be simplified to 2 * 2 * 2 * 5 * 5, which equals 200.

4. How is the product of exponential form used in real-life applications?

The product of exponential form is used in many real-life applications, such as compound interest calculations, population growth models, and radioactive decay. It is also commonly used in scientific and mathematical equations to represent quantities that change exponentially.

5. What is the difference between a product of exponential form and a sum of exponential form?

The main difference between a product of exponential form and a sum of exponential form is the operation used. In a product of exponential form, the terms are multiplied together, while in a sum of exponential form, the terms are added together. In other words, a product of exponential form represents repeated multiplication, while a sum of exponential form represents repeated addition.