Procedure to test pole and its order

In summary: Keep going! You've differentiated twice, so you need to do another eleven. If you keep regrouping like terms together it shouldn't end up too difficult. Also don't forget the factorial multiplying the final answer...But as I proceed...Say at the 3rd time.. it becomes (as attached).
DrMath

Homework Statement

I have a query - regarding the procedure to test pole.
As attached. pse find.

so, z is not a pole but a Removable Singularity?

NEXT, if z is not a pole (which is true for above) - no point testing for the order of the pole right?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• Complex - Test for Pole.jpg
    Complex - Test for Pole.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 466
Physics news on Phys.org
The attached problem is not a removable singularity. If it were then the limit of your function multiplied by [itex](z-z_0)[/itex] would tend to zero as [itex]z[/itex] tends towards the pole at [itex]z_0[/itex] (in your case [itex]z_0=0[/itex]).

As for testing the order of the pole, you can think of a removable singularity as just a pole of order zero, in which case checking that it is a removable singularity and checking for the order of the pole are the same task!

Last edited:
Hi,

So z=0 is actually a suspected pole just by looking at the question.

However - it is not a real pole right?
Because my test of pole procedure determines it is not a pole.
So i thought it is a Removable Singularity - here confuse!

From my understanding from you; it is a removable singularity if we take the limit of
z tends to 0 (pole) --- from my attachment i raise it to the power of 15. Is this not correct ?

DrMath said:
So z=0 is actually a suspected pole just by looking at the question.

Yes the denominator of your fraction is zero there, so you need to test for a pole at [itex]z=0[/itex].

DrMath said:
However - it is not a real pole right?
Because my test of pole procedure determines it is not a pole.

No it is a real pole. As I said in my previous post, if the limit of the function multiplied by [itex]z[/itex] as [itex]z\rightarrow 0[/itex] was zero then it would be removable.

You have multiplied by [itex]z^{15}[/itex]. That's not the same thing!

DrMath said:
From my understanding from you; it is a removable singularity if we take the limit of
z tends to 0 (pole) --- from my attachment i raise it to the power of 15. Is this not correct ?

No it's not at all correct.

The order of a pole at some point [itex]z_0[/itex] is defined as the smallest integer [itex]m[/itex] you can find such that:
[tex]
\lim_{z\rightarrow z_0}{\left[\left(z-z_0\right)^{m+1}\,f\!\left(z\right)\right]=0
[/tex]

If [itex]m[/itex] is zero then it is called a removable singularity. (If [itex]m[/itex] is less than zero then it's not a pole at all)

Given this, can you now see what the order of your pole is?

PS My initial post contained a mistake in my description of the limit you are supposed to take, which probably hasn't helped with your confusion! I'll edit it and fix it...

[tex]lim_{z\to 0}\frac{sin(z)}{z}= 1[/tex]
so [itex]sin(z)/z^{15}= (sin(z)/z)/z^{14}[/itex] you can tell the order of the pole from that.

its pole of order 14; z=0

DrMath said:
its pole of order 14

Yup, that's right.

If this qn is extended to use the residue theorem directly...
the residue of the function, z=0: i would need to differentiate 13 times?

i find it very tedious to work out 13 times...
:redface:

Attachments

• try.jpg
    try.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 420
Keep going! You've differentiated twice, so you need to do another eleven. If you keep regrouping like terms together it shouldn't end up too difficult. Also don't forget the factorial multiplying the final answer...

But as i proceed...
Say at the 3rd time.. it becomes (as attached).

Hmm.. so i assume after up to 13 times differentiated; is should get things like:

- K sin (2z) / z^14 + ...+ ...+ - (Last temr -ve here) ------ by pattern matching.

(well, if i take limit term by term; this term gives me 'undefined').
So not sure am i on the track?

attached

Attachments

• try.jpg
    try.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 419
Sorry for slow reply, been rather busy.

The limit only appears undefined because you are applying it term by term as you have written it. You need to group all the coefficients of [itex]1/z^2[/itex] together (and similarly [itex]1/z^3[/itex], etc. etc.). Then L'Hopital's rule or judicious Taylor expansion of sin and cos should give you a finite limit. So keep on with the differentiating --- you've only done 3 out of 13 so far!

If you really can't handle differentiating that many times (although it really shouldn't be that difficult for this function) then you could get at the residue by instead expanding the function in terms of its Laurent series --- your textbook/lecture notes should cover that.

Related to Procedure to test pole and its order

1. What is the purpose of testing poles and their order?

The purpose of testing poles and their order is to ensure the structural integrity and stability of the pole, as well as the correct placement and arrangement of the poles in a particular order. This is important for safety reasons and to prevent any potential hazards or accidents.

2. How do you test the strength of a pole?

The strength of a pole can be tested using a variety of methods, such as load testing, stress testing, or non-destructive testing. These tests involve applying a specific amount of force or load to the pole and measuring its response. This allows for the determination of the pole's load-bearing capacity and any potential weaknesses or defects.

3. What equipment is needed to test poles and their order?

The equipment needed to test poles and their order may vary depending on the type of test being conducted. However, some common equipment used for testing poles include load cells, strain gauges, hydraulic jacks, and specialized testing machines. In addition, safety equipment, such as harnesses and helmets, should also be used during testing.

4. How is the order of poles determined during testing?

The order of poles is typically determined based on the specific purpose of the poles and their location. For example, in an electrical pole installation, the order may be determined based on the voltage levels of the wires. In a tent or flagpole setup, the order may be determined based on the desired height and stability of the structure. The order may also be determined based on the specific requirements and regulations set by the governing authority.

5. What safety precautions should be taken during pole testing?

Safety should always be a top priority during pole testing. Some important precautions to take include wearing appropriate personal protective equipment, such as gloves and safety glasses, following proper testing procedures and protocols, and ensuring that the area is clear of any potential hazards. It is also important to have a trained and experienced team conducting the testing and to regularly inspect and maintain testing equipment for optimal safety.