Problems about statics. Force and Moment calculations.

In summary, the problem involves calculating a force-couple system applied to point C in red, equal to the force f0 applied to point E. The solution involves adding two equal and opposite forces at point C, with one force being a 250 N force applied at -45 degrees. The difficulty lies in computing the distance from the line of action of f0 to point C, with point A being a useful intermediary. The correct moment arm for the 1N force about point u involves the whole length of the seesaw. In order to find the equivalent force-couple of the 1N force, the fulcrum can be ignored. However, if the problem were asking for the total forces and moments on the system, both
jonjacson

Homework Statement

I´ll use an image to show the problem that you can see as attached file. I need to calculate a force-couple system applied to the point C in red, equal to the force f0 applied to the point E.

347isko.jpg

Homework Equations

M=fd

The Attempt at a Solution

Well in these kind of problems you just need to add two equal and oppossite forces f1 and f2 at the point C.

Now f1 is the equivalent force, and f0-f2 is the couple.

f1 is simply a 250 N applied at -45º to the point C.

My doubt is about the couple, it´s a bit confusing to me to guess what is the moment arm of the forces.

If the bar BD weren´t in the system it would be easy:

M=f2*0 (because it´s a force applied to the point and the moment arm is 0) + f0*0.72 (0.4+0.2+0.12).

But now I think that BD it´s like the basis of a seesaw. B is the point were the system would be turning around so if I project the forces f0 and f2 to the line CA, the components lying down on the line CA don´t have moment arm, only the orthogonal ones do.

So, the angle u must be 45, that means that v is 75 degrees.

f2 orthogonal = 250*sin(75)=241.48 N

The moment arm of this force is 0.4 meters, the distance CB.

f0 orthogonal = f2 orthogonal

The moment arm of this force now is the distance BA plus the radius of the disc 0.12, finally:

M total of the couple as function of f2 and f0= 250*sin(75)*0.4 + 250* sin(75)*0.32=173.86 Nm

The problem is that the book gives the answers and it´s 174.9 Nm, I know 1 Nm it´s a small difference but maybe I didn´t use a correct reasoning, so I´d like to check if the moment arms are right or not.

And it´s not too clear to me why the problem suggests you to start calculating the force couple system at the point A, I can´t see any benefit in doing that.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
jonjacson said:
If the bar BD weren´t in the system it would be easy:
As I read the question, you do not have to worry about forces in that arm. It is merely asking what force+couple would be equivalent to F0.
And it´s not too clear to me why the problem suggests you to start calculating the force couple system at the point A, I can´t see any benefit in doing that.
The principal difficulty is computing the distance from the line of action of F0 to the point C. The point A is a useful go-between.

Thank you for your answer :)

Well I get the same result if I do that, if I join the line of the force f0 with a perpendicular line to the point C, there is a right triangle, and one of his angles is 15º (60-45), so:

Cos(15)*0.72*250= 173.9 Nm

----

You are right, the problem doesn´t ask anything about the BD arm, it´s just that I am a bit confused when it´s needed to calculate the arm, because I try to think about the axis of rotation of the system, and that is not necessary.

I mean, in the case I show in this picture:

2uh7cye.jpg

What is the moment arm of the 1N force about the green point u?

If I follow the rule which says you need to know the minimum distance between the line of application and the point, the arm would be the hole length of the seesaw.

If I consider that there is a fulcrum in the midle point, the arm would be only half the length of the seesaw, and that is what I think it´s the correct answer, Isn´t it?

If that is the case, WHy shouldn´t we consider the bar BD in the original problem?

jonjacson said:
Cos(15)*0.72*250= 173.9 Nm
Your error is here in the OP:
force f0 applied to the point E.
It isn't applied at E (which is in the straight line of CBA), but 15 degrees around the curve.
Correcting for that gives me 174.89.
2uh7cye.jpg

What is the moment arm of the 1N force about the green point u?

If I follow the rule which says you need to know the minimum distance between the line of application and the point, the arm would be the hole length of the seesaw.

If I consider that there is a fulcrum in the midle point, the arm would be only half the length of the seesaw, and that is what I think it´s the correct answer, Isn´t it?
The moment of the 1N force about u involves the whole length. The fulcrum provides a moment in the other direction.

haruspex said:
Your error is here in the OP:

It isn't applied at E (which is in the straight line of CBA), but 15 degrees around the curve.
Correcting for that gives me 174.89.

The moment of the 1N force about u involves the whole length. The fulcrum provides a moment in the other direction.

I see, I wasn´t using the correct application point, I recalculated everything and I found the same as you.

Very interesting, so only to check if now it´s clear. In this case:

2uh7cye.jpg

IF the problem asks you to find the equivalent force-couple of the 1N force, you can forget the fulcrum, the problem is not asking the real couple of the system, only the equivalent to the 1N force at point u.

IF the problem were asking us to calculate the total forces and moments on the system we should include everything in that calculation the 1N force and the fulcrum.

The total force would be 0, since the normal of the fulcrum equals the 1N force.

The system only rotates around the fulcrum with a total moment= 1N*L - 1N*L/2=L/2 N*m is the answer, counter clock wise. L is the length of the seesaw.

So if in the original problem the question had been "What is the total force-couple around the point C?"

We should have include in our calculations not only the f0 force but the force made by the arm BD too.

Is this right?

Thank you very much!

jonjacson said:
... since the normal of the fulcrum equals the 1N force.
Not in general. Are there no other forces in this picture? No acceleration? What here has mass: the plank? u?

I went too fast with that. You are right, it´s not general, if the bar is massless and the point u weights 1N, the fulcrum must react with 2N to get equilibrium.

I didn´t think this correctly.

Related to Problems about statics. Force and Moment calculations.

What is statics and why is it important in science?

Statics is the branch of mechanics that deals with the study of objects at rest or in a state of constant motion. It is important in science because it helps us understand the behavior of objects and systems under the influence of forces and moments, which is crucial in designing structures and machines.

What is a force and how is it calculated in statics?

A force is a push or pull that can cause an object to accelerate or deform. In statics, forces are calculated by using vector addition, where the magnitude and direction of each force acting on an object are taken into account.

What is a moment and how is it calculated in statics?

A moment is the rotational equivalent of a force. It is a measure of the tendency of a force to cause an object to rotate about a specific point or axis. Moments are calculated by multiplying the force by its perpendicular distance from the point or axis of rotation.

What is the difference between a resultant force and a resultant moment?

A resultant force is the single force that has the same effect on an object as all the individual forces acting on it. On the other hand, a resultant moment is the single moment that has the same effect on an object as all the individual moments acting on it. Resultant forces are calculated by vector addition, while resultant moments are calculated using the principle of moments.

How is statics used in the real world?

Statics has numerous real-world applications, such as in the design and construction of buildings, bridges, and other structures. It is also used in the analysis of machines and mechanical systems, as well as in the study of fluid mechanics and aerodynamics. Additionally, statics is crucial in understanding the stability and equilibrium of objects, which is important in fields such as robotics, aviation, and maritime engineering.