Problem with Newton's second law

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the acceleration of a boy sitting on a platform and the reading of a scale based on given masses and forces. The solution involves using the equations F=ma and ΣFy=ma to solve for the unknowns.
Bohrok

Homework Statement

In the following figure, the boy has a mass of 40kg, and the platform he is sitting on has a mass of 15kg. If the force of the board on the boy is 180N;

a) Find the acceleration of the boy

b) Find the reading of the scale.

http://www.csupomona.edu/~jarmand/131/131chall5s12_files/image002.gif

Homework Equations

F = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I have the acceleration kind of worked out with ƩFy = 2T - mg = may where m is the total mass of the system (platform + boy) and T is the tension in the rope. Would the force of the tension be the same as the reading on the scale?

Mostly I've been unsure how to use that 180N. Then I started thinking that the downward force that the boy exerts on the chair has the same magnitude as the upward normal force that the chair exerts on the boy, giving ƩFy = T + Fn - mboyg = mboyay
Two equations with two unknowns T and a:
2T -55(9.8) = 55a
T + 180 - 40(9.8) = 40a
?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
That all looks correct. Do you not know how to solve simultaneous equations? Just get one of the equations in the form T = (some function of other variables) and use this to substitute for T in the other equation.

Oh I know how to solve simultaneous equations; I just wanted to see if my work seemed alright :smile:
Thanks!

If no one else chimes in, I'll take it that they agree

Bohrok said:

Homework Statement

In the following figure, the boy has a mass of 40kg, and the platform he is sitting on has a mass of 15kg. If the force of the board on the boy is 180N;

a) Find the acceleration of the boy

b) Find the reading of the scale.

[ IMG]http://www.csupomona.edu/~jarmand/131/131chall5s12_files/image002.gif

Homework Equations

F = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I have the acceleration kind of worked out with ƩFy = 2T - mg = may where m is the total mass of the system (platform + boy) and T is the tension in the rope. Would the force of the tension be the same as the reading on the scale?

Mostly I've been unsure how to use that 180N. Then I started thinking that the downward force that the boy exerts on the chair has the same magnitude as the upward normal force that the chair exerts on the boy, giving ƩFy = T + Fn - mboyg = mboyay
Two equations with two unknowns T and a:
2T -55(9.8) = 55a
T + 180 - 40(9.8) = 40a
?
Yes. That all looks fine to me. I got the same thing without first looking at your solution.

Last edited by a moderator:

First of all, let me clarify that Newton's second law states that the net force acting on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. So in this problem, we are looking for the acceleration of the boy.

To solve this, we can use the equations you have mentioned, ƩFy = 2T - mg = may and ƩFy = T + Fn - mboyg = mboyay. However, there are a few things to consider.

Firstly, the force of the board on the boy (180N) is not the only force acting on the boy. There is also the force of gravity (mboyg) and the normal force (Fn) exerted by the chair on the boy. So our equation for ƩFy would be 2T - mboyg - Fn = mboyay.

Secondly, the tension in the rope (T) is not the same as the reading on the scale. The tension in the rope is the force that the rope exerts on the platform, while the reading on the scale is the normal force that the platform exerts on the boy. These two forces are equal in magnitude but opposite in direction.

So, to solve for the acceleration of the boy, we can use the following steps:

1. Draw a free-body diagram for the boy, including all the forces acting on him.

2. Write out the equation for ƩFy, taking into account all the forces.

3. Use the given values (mboy = 40kg, mplatform = 15kg, Fboard = 180N) to solve for the unknowns (T and a).

4. To find the reading on the scale, we can use the equation Fn = mboyg + mboyay. Plug in the values we have found for a and solve for Fn.

I hope this helps clarify any confusion you may have had with using Newton's second law in this problem. Remember, it is always important to draw a clear free-body diagram and consider all the forces acting on an object when solving problems like this. Keep up the good work!

Related to Problem with Newton's second law

What is Newton's second law?

Newton's second law, also known as the law of acceleration, states that the force applied to an object is directly proportional to its mass and acceleration. This means that the bigger the force applied to an object, the greater its acceleration will be. It can be mathematically represented as F=ma, where F is force, m is mass, and a is acceleration.

What is the problem with Newton's second law?

The main problem with Newton's second law is that it is only applicable to objects with constant mass and in a vacuum. In real-world situations, objects often experience varying forces and their mass may change due to factors such as air resistance or friction. This makes it difficult to accurately apply the law in certain scenarios.

How does Newton's second law relate to the first and third laws?

Newton's first law, also known as the law of inertia, states that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will continue in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. This law is the basis for Newton's second law, as it explains why objects require a force to accelerate. Newton's third law, on the other hand, states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This law also plays a role in the application of Newton's second law, as the force applied to an object will result in an equal and opposite force on the other object involved in the interaction.

Why is it important to understand Newton's second law?

Understanding Newton's second law is crucial in the field of physics and engineering. It allows scientists to accurately predict and calculate the motion of objects and design systems that can control and manipulate this motion. It is also important in everyday life, as it helps us understand the effects of forces on objects and how to safely handle and move them.

Are there any exceptions to Newton's second law?

While Newton's second law is a fundamental principle in classical mechanics, there are some exceptions to its application. At extremely high speeds, or in cases involving very small particles, the laws of quantum mechanics may take over and result in different behaviors. Additionally, in situations involving extreme gravitational forces, such as in black holes, the laws of general relativity may also come into play and alter the application of Newton's second law.