Problem with Net Coulombic Force

In summary: Can you help me out?In summary, a 12-dimensional sphere with uniform charge density is being considered.
Better WOrld

Homework Statement

Consider an ## n ##-dimensional solid sphere of radius ##R##, with uniform charge-density and a total charge ##Q##. A charged particle ##q## is kept at a distance of ##r## from the center. For ##r<R##, what is the Net Coulombic Force experienced by the particle?

If it is in the form of

$$\displaystyle\vec{F_{c}}= \left(\dfrac{\color{blue}{m}}{\color{blue}{p}.\varepsilon_{0}}\right).\left(\dfrac{(\color{blue}{a}+2)!}{\left(\Gamma\left(\dfrac{\color{blue}{b}}{\color{blue}{c}}\right)\right)^{\color{blue}{x}}.\color{blue}{w^{y}}}\right)$$
Find ##\color{blue}{ m+p+a+b+c+w+x+y}##

Details and Assumptions:

• ##n=12##, ##Q=10 \text{ C}##, ##q=1.4 \text{ C}##, ##r=5 \text{ cm}##, ##R=13\text{ cm}##.
  • All the letters represent integers and are not necessarily distinct. ##m## and ##n##, ##b## and ##c## are coprime.
  • ##\varepsilon_{0}## is the constant of permittivity of free space.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

A friend of mine had discovered this question somewhere on the Net. Unfortunately neither of us has any idea as to how to solve this problem. I think it involves Calculus to a degree,but I really don't know anything else about it. I would be truly grateful if somebody could kindly give me a full solution. Many, many thanks in advance!

PS. I just cannot understand why the LaTeX is not working. I'm really sorry for that.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Better WOrld said:
Consider an ## n ##-dimensional solid sphere of radius ##R##, with uniform charge-density and a total charge ##Q##.
A 12-dimensional sphere with uniform charge density? I have no idea what that even means.

Where did you get this problem?

Doc Al said:
A 12-dimensional sphere with uniform charge density? I have no idea what that even means.

Where did you get this problem?

Sir, a friend of mine had come across this problem. I'm afraid I don't know where he found it.

Related to Problem with Net Coulombic Force

1. What is the Net Coulombic Force?

The Net Coulombic Force, also known as the net electrostatic force, is the sum of all the electrostatic forces acting on an object due to the presence of multiple charged particles. It can be calculated using Coulomb's Law, which states that the force between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. What causes a problem with Net Coulombic Force?

A problem with Net Coulombic Force can arise when there is an imbalance of positive and negative charges, or when the distance between charged particles is too small, resulting in a very large force. This can cause instability and chaotic behavior in a system.

3. How does Net Coulombic Force affect atoms and molecules?

The Net Coulombic Force plays a crucial role in determining the structure and stability of atoms and molecules. It is responsible for holding electrons in orbit around the nucleus of an atom, as well as for the attraction and repulsion between molecules in a chemical reaction.

4. Can Net Coulombic Force be shielded or canceled out?

Yes, Net Coulombic Force can be shielded or canceled out by introducing an opposite charge or a neutralizing agent. This can be seen in the process of static electricity discharge, where a charged object comes into contact with a grounded object, causing the charges to neutralize and cancel out the force.

5. How is Net Coulombic Force relevant in everyday life?

Net Coulombic Force is relevant in everyday life in many ways. It is the force responsible for the attraction and repulsion of magnets, the static cling of clothes, and the shock you feel when you touch a metal object after walking on a carpet. It also plays a crucial role in the functioning of electronic devices, such as computers and smartphones, which rely on the movement of charged particles to operate.