Problem with Laplace transform unit step function questions

In summary: This is just a rearrangement of the definition of L(f(t)) which is what you're trying to do when you try to solve for u(t-a).
enger

Homework Statement

L{2t u(t-1)}

Homework Equations

L{g(t) u(t-c)} = e^-cs L{g(t+c)}

The Attempt at a Solution

L{2t u(t-1)}=e^-s L{2(t+1)}
L{2(t+1)}=2/s^2+2/s
L{2t u(t-1)} = e^-s {2/s^2 + 2/s}

i think the whole attempt is wrong , I'm getting confused in this type of questions , i would appreciate if someone could explain the u(t-a) function & solve this problem...

Physics news on Phys.org
I dunno, looks like you have it right to me.

By step unit function, I assume you mean that the function that is 1 on the interval [a,b] and 0 elsewhere? Just write down the definition:

[tex]
\int_{0}^{\infty}\chi_{[a,b]}(x)e^{-sx}dx=\int_{a}^{b}e^{-sx}dx
[/tex]

I presume you can do the rest from here.

Char. Limit said:
I dunno, looks like you have it right to me.

Looks right to me too. What is PF SAS?

LCKurtz said:
Looks right to me too. What is PF SAS?

Oh, not much. Just a small group of people, unrelated to PF, dedicated to fighting crackpots who appear on this site. Like the .9999... does not equal 1 people.

What does the acronym SAS stand for? And if you really want to engage the crackpots, visit usenet's sci.math. But, of course, a real crank is immune to correction.

Special Anti-crackpot Service. The name is modeled after the British SAS.

enger said:
i think the whole attempt is wrong , I'm getting confused in this type of questions , i would appreciate if someone could explain the u(t-a) function & solve this problem...
The unit step function u(t) is 0 if t<0 and 1 if t≥0. That's it.

If you have u(t-a), it's 0 if t<a and 1 if t≥a.

Now consider g(t)u(t-a). When t<a, g(t)u(t-a)=g(t)×0=0. When t≥a, g(t)u(t-a)=g(t)×1=g(t). So g(t)u(t-a) is just a convenient way of writing

[tex]g(t)u(t-a) = \left\{ \begin{array}{cr}0 & t<a \\ g(t) & t\ge a\end{array}\right.[/tex]

is there a good reference with examples , i need to understand this part a little more.

the (t-a) is the shift , so i shouldn't be expanding it in the problem i solved above !

I have no idea what you're asking. Could you elaborate?

vela said:
I have no idea what you're asking. Could you elaborate?

in this step

L{2(t+1)}=2/s^2+2/s

i expanded the equation to (2t+2) then used Laplace transform for t^n & constant , is this right or wrong , since i understand that U(t-1) is the shift of the equation

Yes, it is. The shift isn't involved in that step. You're finding the Laplace transform of an unshifted 2(t+1). When you combine that with the exponential factor, you get the transform of the truncated 2t.

Another way you can do the problem is to use t=t-1+1 to write

2t u(t-1) = 2 [(t-1)+1] u(t-1)

Now everything is in terms of t-1, so you should be able to see it's just the function 2(t+1)u(t) shifted to the right by 1. That's why you calculate the Laplace transform of 2(t+1), unshifted, and then slap the exponential factor on, which indicates the shift.

vela said:
Yes, it is. The shift isn't involved in that step. You're finding the Laplace transform of an unshifted 2(t+1). When you combine that with the exponential factor, you get the transform of the truncated 2t.

Another way you can do the problem is to use t=t-1+1 to write

2t u(t-1) = 2 [(t-1)+1] u(t-1)

Now everything is in terms of t-1, so you should be able to see it's just the function 2(t+1)u(t) shifted to the right by 1. That's why you calculate the Laplace transform of 2(t+1), unshifted, and then slap the exponential factor on, which indicates the shift.

so the answer i added for the problem is right?

also is there a reference with examples?

i get confused when solving problems like l{u(t-pi)sin2t)

Yes, as the others noted, your answer is correct.

I don't know of any references offhand. Electrical engineering textbooks on linear system analysis probably cover this material.

If it helps, just write everything out step by step. For u(t-pi) sin 2t, you have g(t)=sin 2t and c=pi. So g(t+c) = g(t+pi) = sin 2(t+pi) = ... and so on.

Or use the trick where you say t=(t-pi)+pi. So sin 2t = sin [2(t-pi)+2pi] = ...

enger said:
so the answer i added for the problem is right?

also is there a reference with examples?

i get confused when solving problems like l{u(t-pi)sin2t)

Maybe you just need to think about the proof for arbitrary f(t):

[tex]L(f(t)u(t-a)) = \int_0^\infty e^{-st}f(t)u(t-a)\, dt = \int_a^\infty e^{-st}f(t)\cdot 1\, dt[/tex]

Now let w = t-a, dw = dt

[tex] = \int_0^\infty e^{-s(w+a)}f(w+a)\, dw = e^{-as}\int_0^\infty e^{-sw}f(w+a)\, dw= e^{-as}\int_0^\infty e^{-st}f(t+a)\, dt=e^{-as}L(f(t+a))[/tex]

Related to Problem with Laplace transform unit step function questions

What is a unit step function?

A unit step function, also known as the Heaviside function, is a mathematical function that has a value of 0 for negative input and a value of 1 for positive input. It is commonly used in engineering and physics to represent a sudden change in a system.

What is the Laplace transform of a unit step function?

The Laplace transform of a unit step function is 1/s, where s is the complex frequency variable. This means that the Laplace transform of a unit step function is a decaying exponential function.

What is the significance of the Laplace transform in solving problems with unit step functions?

The Laplace transform allows us to solve differential equations involving unit step functions by transforming them into algebraic equations, which are often easier to solve. It is a powerful tool in engineering and physics for analyzing systems with sudden changes.

How do you handle discontinuities in the Laplace transform of a unit step function?

Discontinuities in the Laplace transform of a unit step function can be handled by using the Heaviside expansion formula. This formula allows us to express the Laplace transform of a unit step function with discontinuities as a sum of simpler functions with known Laplace transforms.

Can the Laplace transform of a unit step function be used for non-continuous functions?

No, the Laplace transform is only applicable for continuous functions. If a function has discontinuities, the Laplace transform can only be used if the discontinuities are handled using the Heaviside expansion formula.