Problem with basic integration review

In summary, basic integration is a mathematical process used to find the area under a curve on a graph and solve problems involving rates of change. Common problems with basic integration include difficulty in identifying the correct method and making mistakes in the process. To improve understanding, one should practice solving problems, familiarize themselves with methods, and seek help if needed. Tips for solving problems include identifying the correct method, checking for mistakes, and simplifying the process. Basic integration is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and finance to model and analyze real-life situations involving rates of change.
WhataRecch
I'm in a second year Calculus class, and we're doing review from first year integration, and it's just unbelievable how easily this stuff leaves your memory. I shouldn't have thrown out last year's notes.

I can't for the life of me remember what techniques I'm suppose to use to integrate:

(((x^2) + 1)^(1/2))dx and (cos(x)^4)dx

Physics news on Phys.org
1) I'd try a trig sub, 2) Use some trig identities to simply it to lower orders of cosx

For the first use x=tan u for the second use cos^{2}x=(1+cos2x)/2 three times

Related to Problem with basic integration review

1. What is basic integration?

Basic integration is a mathematical process that involves finding the area under a curve on a graph. It is used to solve problems involving rates of change and helps to find the total amount of something over a given interval.

2. What are the common problems with basic integration?

Some common problems with basic integration include difficulty in identifying the correct integration method, understanding the concept of indefinite integrals, and making mistakes in the integration process.

3. How can I improve my understanding of basic integration?

To improve your understanding of basic integration, it is important to practice solving different types of integration problems, familiarize yourself with the various integration methods, and seek help from a teacher or tutor if needed.

4. What are some tips for solving basic integration problems?

Some tips for solving basic integration problems include identifying the correct integration method, checking your work for any mistakes, and using algebraic manipulations to simplify the integration process.

5. How is basic integration used in real life?

Basic integration is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and finance. It is used to model and analyze real-life situations involving rates of change, such as calculating the distance traveled by a moving object or finding the total cost of a product over time.