Problem with a differential equation

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem in which a solution to y'=y(6-y) is shown to have an inflection point at y=3. The solution provided in the book only mentions that y''=0 at the inflection point, but it is not sufficient to prove that it is a point of inflection. The use of the chain rule is necessary to show a change in concavity and a change of sign of y''.
johann1301

Homework Statement

Show that a solution to y'=y(6-y) has a an inflection point at y=3.

The Attempt at a Solution

If y has an inflection point, then y''=0. I know that y'=y(6-y), and therefore i know that y''=(y(6-y))'=(6y-y2)'=6-2y

So, if y''=0, and y''=6-2y then 0=6-2y => y=3.

Solved.

But the answer in the back of my book writes the following:

"At the inflection point, y''=0. We derive each side in the equation. When we derive the right side - according to the chain rule - we should get:

(y(6-y))'y'=(6y-y2)'y'=(6-2y)y'

If y=3, then both the right side and thus y'' equals zero"

What i don't get is why the book states that y' is a factor in the calculation:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
only showing the second derivative equal to zero is not sufficient to prove that that point is a point of inflection.

td21 said:
only showing the second derivative equal to zero is not sufficient to prove that that point is a point of inflection.

Ok, can you please elaborate? What other sort of point could it be?

johann1301 said:

Homework Statement

Show that a solution to y'=y(6-y) has a an inflection point at y=3.

The Attempt at a Solution

If y has an inflection point, then y''=0. I know that y'=y(6-y), and therefore i know that y''=(y(6-y))'=(6y-y2)'=6-2y

So, if y''=0, and y''=6-2y then 0=6-2y => y=3.

Solved.

But the answer in the back of my book writes the following:

"At the inflection point, y''=0. We derive each side in the equation. When we derive the right side - according to the chain rule - we should get:

What i don't get is why the book states that y' is a factor in the calculation:

Remember that the independent variable is, for example, ##x## and ##y'=\frac{dy}{dx}##. So to calculate ##y''## you need the chain rule ##y''=\frac {dy'}{dx} = \frac{dy'}{dy}\frac{dy} {dx}##. That is why ##y''=(6-2y)y'## which tells you that any point on a solution with ##y## coordinate of ##3## might be an inflection point. You still have to observe why ##y''## changes sign at such a point, giving a change in concavity, and therefore giving an inflection point.

Ok, I am going to try to understand the part about the chain rule in a bit, but first:

why is it not certain that it is a point of inflection?
td21 said:

LCKurtz said:
You still have to observe why ##y''## changes sign at such a point, giving a change in concavity, and therefore giving an inflection point.

If i understand you right; even though the second derivative of a function is equal to zero, it does not necesseraly mean that there is a point of inflection in the original function? If this is the case, I am strugguling to see what other sort of point it could be? How can it not be a point of inflection? Are there any examples?

johann1301 said:
Ok, I am going to try to understand the part about the chain rule in a bit, but first:

why is it not certain that it is a point of inflection?

If i understand you right; even though the second derivative of a function is equal to zero, it does not necesseraly mean that there is a point of inflection in the original function? If this is the case, I am strugguling to see what other sort of point it could be? How can it not be a point of inflection? Are there any examples?

Sure. Look at the graph of ##y = x^4## at ##x=0##. The first and second (and third) derivatives are zero but the graph doesn't have a change of concavity there. Unlike ##y=x^3##, which does.

LCKurtz said:
Sure. Look at the graph of ##y = x^4## at ##x=0##. The first and second (and third) derivatives are zero but the graph doesn't have a change of concavity there. Unlike ##y=x^3##, which does.

Ok, no i see how it is possible.

Does this mean that the original problem is flawed, or at least imperfect, since the solution in the book only uses that y''=0 to show that it has a point of inflection?

In other words, is this (see below) a sufficient solution to the problem?

or perhaps since the book uses the chain rule in a way i did not do, it is sufficient?

No, it is not sufficient as I pointed out. You have to show a change of concavity which is a change of sign of ##y''##. But you have ##y'' = (6-2y)y'##. Can you argue from this and from what you know about ##y'## that ##y''## changes sign as ##y## passes through ##y=3##?

LCKurtz said:
But you have ##y'' = (6-2y)y'##. Can you argue from this and from what you know about ##y'## that ##y''## changes sign as ##y## passes through ##y=3##?

Since i apparently don't understand the chain rule as well as i thought, i don't really know if its possible to argue that it changes sign. I certainly can not, but if it is possible? I don't know... I am only a rookie when comes to differential equations. Perhaps its possible if you solve it?, which isn't something i know how to do yet...

If it is possible, the problem isn't flawed, only the solution given in the book?

The problem isn't flawed. You have formulas for both ##y'## and ##y''##. Look at them. It isn't difficult to see if ##y''=0## when ##y=3## or whether ##y''## changes sign when ##y=3##.

Ok, let's see if this is sufficient...

If y has an inflection point when y=3, then y''=0 when y=3, and y'' has to change sign when y passes the value 3.

First i find an expression for y'' using the chainrule:
Since i know that y'=y(6-y)=6y-y2. Then y''=(6y-y2)'=(6y)'-(y2)'=6y'-2yy'=(6-2y)y'

So the expression for y'' is (6-2y)y'. If i assume that y does have an inflection point, then y''=0, and therefore

0=(6-2y)y' => y'=0 or y=3.

If y'=0 then y=0 or y=6. Since these values are different than the value i am trying to prove, i discharge them. I only use y=3.

So y'' does in fact equal 0 when y equals 3!

But does y'' change sign when y passes the value 3?

Lets look at the expression y''=(6-2y)y' which i found earlier...

Its easy to see that the factor (6-2y) changes sign when y passes the value 3, but what if y' altso changes sign when y passes 3? then y'' wouldn't change sign at all...

If we look at the original equation y'=y(6-y)=6y-y2 we see that y' only changes sign when y=0 or Y=6, not when y=3.

Therefore we know that y'' changes sign when y passes 3. Since we altso know that y=3 when y''=0, we have shown that a solution to y'=y(6-y) has a an inflection point at y=3.

Yes. That's a bit wordy, but you have the correct argument.

Likes 1 person
Thanks for the help. I understod why y''=(6-2y)y' as soon as i looked at y as a function rather then as a simple variable.

But can I still call y a variable? Even though it is a function? Is it called a dependent variable?

johann1301 said:
Thanks for the help. I understod why y''=(6-2y)y' as soon as i looked at y as a function rather then as a simple variable.

But can I still call y a variable? Even though it is a function? Is it called a dependent variable?

Yes.

Related to Problem with a differential equation

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates the rate of change of a quantity to the quantity itself. It contains one or more derivatives of an unknown function, and it is typically used to model a wide range of phenomena in science and engineering.

2. What are the different types of differential equations?

There are several types of differential equations, including ordinary differential equations (ODEs), partial differential equations (PDEs), and stochastic differential equations (SDEs). ODEs involve derivatives with respect to a single independent variable, while PDEs involve derivatives with respect to multiple independent variables. SDEs also involve a random element in addition to derivatives.

3. What are some common applications of differential equations?

Differential equations are used to model many natural and physical phenomena, such as population growth, fluid dynamics, and electrical circuits. They are also used in economics, finance, and biology to study complex systems and make predictions about their behavior.

4. What is the difference between an initial value problem and a boundary value problem?

An initial value problem (IVP) is a type of differential equation that specifies the value of the unknown function at a single point, along with its derivatives at that point. A boundary value problem (BVP) specifies the values of the unknown function at multiple points, typically at the boundaries of the domain, along with its derivatives at those points. Solving an IVP requires finding a single solution, while solving a BVP may involve finding a family of solutions.

5. How are differential equations solved?

There is no one universal method for solving differential equations, as the approach depends on the specific type and complexity of the equation. Some common techniques include separation of variables, integrating factors, and series solutions. In some cases, differential equations may also be solved using numerical methods, such as Euler's method or the Runge-Kutta method.