Problem using Newton's 2nd Law F= m x A

In summary, we can find the equation for the maximum speed of a ball whirling on the end of a string by using algebra and the Pythagorean theorem. By creating a right triangle with the ball and string, we can use similar triangles to find a relationship between the length of the string (L) and the radius (r). This allows us to substitute for r in the equation F = m x v squared / r, giving us the equation v = square root of L x ( T squared - M squared x G squared) / M x T.
Bob K99

Homework Statement

A ball whirling on the end of a string, length L
Maximum tension in string before it breaks: T sub break
Find an equation for the maximum speed of the ball , V sub max, in terms of the ball's mass, M, the breaking
tension T sub break, and the gravitational acceleration g

Ignore the angle theta the string makes with the horizontal plane

Homework Equations

F= mass times acceleration
Acceleration = m x v squared / r (radius)

The Attempt at a Solution

I used algebra and the Pythagorean theorem to get
v = the square root of L x ( T squared - M squared x G squared ) / M
but the correct answer is V = the square root of L x ( T squared - M squared x G squared) / M x T
I cannot figure out how the T sub break showed up in denominator
[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Bob K99, Welcome to Physics Forums.

Can you show your work in detail? We can't tell where things might have gone wrong without seeing what you did.

Note that you can use the x2 and x2 icons in the edit window menu bar to produce subscripts and superscripts for formulas.

Bob K99 said:

Homework Statement

A ball whirling on the end of a string, length L
Maximum tension in string before it breaks: T sub break
Find an equation for the maximum speed of the ball , V sub max, in terms of the ball's mass, M, the breaking
tension T sub break, and the gravitational acceleration g

Ignore the angle theta the string makes with the horizontal plane

Homework Equations

F= mass times acceleration
Acceleration = m x v squared / r (radius)

The Attempt at a Solution

I used algebra and the Pythagorean theorem to get
v = the square root of L x ( T squared - M squared x G squared ) / M
but the correct answer is V = the square root of L x ( T squared - M squared x G squared) / M x T
I cannot figure out how the T sub break showed up in denominator [/B]

As "gneill" has suggested, you can use the "x2" and "x2" buttons (in the grey ribbon at the top of the input panel) to produce xanything or xanything. However, you can also do it in plain text by writing x^{anything} or x_{anything}, which can be shortened to x^a and x_a if your "anything" is a single letter or digit "a".

Okay I will try to use the menu bar.

I had to make some assumptions in my solution and my high school algebra and trig are a bit rusty so bear with me

I formed a right triangle with the ball and string. The hypotenuse is T ( tension of string ) , the vertical leg of the right triangle is the weight of
the ball or mass times gravity. The horizontal leg of triangle is centripetal force F
So F2 = T2 - m2 x g2F2 =( mass X velocity2 / r )2 Equation 1

It is at this point that my math starts to break down
Ideally to get the posted answer I should get the equation
F = m x v2 / r = T2 - (m x g)2 substitute Length of string L for R
V2 = L ( T2 - (m x g )2 / M
V = square root of L ( T2 - M2 X G2 / M Equation 2

However I ignored the fact that F2 = ( m X v2 /r )2 in equation 1

Also the correct answer has M (mass) x T (tension of string at break) in the denominator equation 2

Correct answer is V = square root of L x ( T2 - M2 x G2) divided
by M x T

Possibly I should have broken the problem down to 2 equations
1) Equation for forces on ball Using F & T

2.) Equation for Distance Using length L and radius r

Then substitute a variable to get 1 equation

Last edited:
Okay. Note that L and R are not the same thing, so directly substituting one for the other is invalid.

Here's a diagram that depicts the situation:

upload_2016-3-2_9-48-24.png

The tension and centripetal force vectors have had their directions reversed so that they project past the end of the ball for convenience; It's the angles and magnitudes that are important to us. You should be able to use similar triangles to find a relationship between r and L that will allow you to replace r in your equations.

Likes CrazyNinja
gneill said:
Okay. Note that L and R are not the same thing, so directly substituting one for the other is invalid.

Here's a diagram that depicts the situation:

View attachment 96711

The tension and centripetal force vectors have had their directions reversed so that they project past the end of the ball for convenience; It's the angles and magnitudes that are important to us. You should be able to use similar triangles to find a relationship between r and L that will allow you to replace r in your equations.

Yes, you are right about r and L not being equal I will try your suggestion and keep working on it.
Thanks

Thanks to gneill I think I figured the problem out Since we have similar triangles the sides are proportional ( see his diagram above)

T2 = (mg)2 + (mv2)2 / r2 Law of right triangles

T2 - m2 g2 = m2 v4 / r2 Eq 2

Similar triangles r/ mv2 /r =L /T this simplifies to R2 /mv2 = L/T

Substituting for r2 in eq 2 will give L ( T2 - m2 g2) / MT = v2

V = square root of L ( T2 - m2 g2 ) / M T

Voila

Last edited:

Related to Problem using Newton's 2nd Law F= m x A

1. How is Newton's 2nd Law used to solve problems?

Newton's 2nd Law, also known as the Law of Force and Acceleration, states that the force applied to an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. This law is used to solve problems by finding the net force acting on an object and using it to calculate its acceleration or mass.

2. What is the formula for Newton's 2nd Law?

The formula for Newton's 2nd Law is F= m x A, where F is the net force, m is the mass of the object, and A is the acceleration. This formula can be rearranged to solve for any of the variables, depending on the given information in the problem.

3. Can Newton's 2nd Law be applied to both stationary and moving objects?

Yes, Newton's 2nd Law can be applied to both stationary and moving objects. For stationary objects, the acceleration will be 0 and the net force can be calculated by multiplying the mass by 0. For moving objects, the acceleration is not 0 and the equation can be used to find the net force acting on the object.

4. What are some common units used in problems involving Newton's 2nd Law?

The most common units used in problems involving Newton's 2nd Law are kilograms for mass, meters per second squared for acceleration, and Newtons for force. However, it is important to ensure that all units are consistent and to convert if necessary before solving the problem.

5. Can Newton's 2nd Law be used in all situations?

Newton's 2nd Law is a fundamental law of physics and can be used in most situations to solve problems involving force and acceleration. However, it may not be applicable in extreme situations such as at the subatomic level or in cases where other forces, such as friction or air resistance, are present.