Problem Solving Forum - PhysicsForums

• Thread starter ehrenfest
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about the suggestion of creating a "Problem Solving" sub-forum in the math section of the forum. The original poster believes that since the forum is for physics and math, there should be a place for math problems that don't fit into any other category. The process for creating a new forum is discussed, with the requirement being a need for it rather than just demand. Some members express doubt about the need for such a forum, while others support the idea, citing the differences between exercises and problem-solving. The original poster suggests using AOPS for this type of forum, but others mention the lack of hints and the focus on high school problems on that forum. In summary, there is a suggestion for a
ehrenfest
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=237247

Can I recommend the creation of a "Problem Solving" sub-forum under math sub section? There are a lot of these at AOPS but I think we should have at least since we are supposedly a "physics and math" forum and there are a LOT of math problems that don't really fall into any other category.

BTW, how does a sub-forum arise? Is there like a quorum of PF mentors that vote on it or is it Bernhardt's executive decision or what?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ehrenfest said:
BTW, how does a sub-forum arise? Is there like a quorum of PF mentors that vote on it or is it Bernhardt's executive decision or what?

A bit of both. If there is a new forum that should obviously be made (i.e. there are a plethora of threads floating around that would all belong better in one new forum) then we would probably act on a suggestion, but I just don't see the need for a forum like the one you propose at present. After all, the only questions that would fall into this topic are the three you have posted.

cristo said:
A bit of both. If there is a new forum that should obviously be made (i.e. there are a plethora of threads floating around that would all belong better in one new forum) then we would probably act on a suggestion, but I just don't see the need for a forum like the one you propose at present. After all, the only questions that would fall into this topic are the three you have posted.

Well, there are about 100 that I have posted if you look back through my history. I just think this is something that any respectable math forum should have, but let's see what others think.

Like cristo has mentioned, a forum will be created if there is enough demand. I don't really see enough demand for a problem solving forum. If this changes then I'm sure the senior staff will be more than willing to create another forum.

ehrenfest said:
Well, there are about 100 that I have posted if you look back through my history. I just think this is something that any respectable math forum should have, but let's see what others think.
It's not demand so much as a need and there is no need.

If you are referring to your homework or any homework, no, that is already handled in the Homework Help Forums.

If it is for people that are not in school and they are not homework type problems, then there are the regular forums for discussion.

Why not just use AoPS? I doubt if you could find a better forum (or forum-goers) for this sort of thing.

One problem with AOPS is that people there systemically refuse only to give hints even if you tell them to. I don't know why that's true but its like they can't resist just solving the entire problem. Also, AOPS is mainly for high school problem solving while PF is more about college-level math. I have posted Putnam-like problems there in the past and it seems like I get just about as much help there as a I get here, perhaps even less.

Hey,

ehrenfest said:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=237247

Can I recommend the creation of a "Problem Solving" sub-forum under math sub section? There are a lot of these at AOPS but I think we should have at least since we are supposedly a "physics and math" forum and there are a LOT of math problems that don't really fall into any other category.

I second this request, I also am a college student preparing for the Putnam Exam and most of the time I avoid posting problems in the: PreCalculus or Calculus; subforums simply because they get lost in all the other posts which are usually just exercises. In addition, the Putnam exam's problems and just problems in general are very different from exercises which are mostly posted in those two forums since they require some insight and craft to provide a solution or more commonly a proof.

Besides what could it hurt creating that subforum, if people don't use it can't it just be removed?

Thanks,

-PFStudent

Related to Problem Solving Forum - PhysicsForums

1. What is the purpose of the Problem Solving Forum on PhysicsForums?

The Problem Solving Forum on PhysicsForums is a platform for users to collaborate and discuss solutions to various physics problems. It is a community-driven forum where people can share their knowledge and expertise to help others improve their problem-solving skills.

2. How do I post a problem on the Problem Solving Forum?

To post a problem on the Problem Solving Forum, you can click on the "New Thread" button on the forum's homepage. Be sure to provide a clear and concise title for your problem and include all relevant information, such as the given values and what you are trying to solve for.

3. Can I ask for homework help on the Problem Solving Forum?

While you can ask for help with specific problems, it is important to note that the forum is not a place to have others do your homework for you. It is meant for collaborative problem-solving and learning. Please make sure to show your own efforts and understanding in your post.

4. How can I improve my problem-solving skills on the Problem Solving Forum?

The best way to improve your problem-solving skills on the forum is to actively participate in discussions and try to solve problems on your own before seeking help. Reading and understanding solutions posted by others can also help you gain new insights and improve your approach to problem-solving.

5. Are there any rules or guidelines for posting on the Problem Solving Forum?

Yes, there are rules and guidelines in place to ensure a productive and respectful environment on the forum. These include being courteous and respectful towards others, providing clear and complete information in your posts, and avoiding plagiarism. Please make sure to read and follow these guidelines to maintain a positive community on the forum.