Problem related to the Ideal Gas equation -- Nitrogen under pressure

In summary, the conversation discusses the equation used in the solution for calculating the remaining nitrogen in a tank. The equation is derived based on the ideal gas relationship and involves the initial and final number of moles of nitrogen and the volume of the tank. The conversation also includes a different approach to solving the problem.
PhysicsDuki
Homework Statement
A bottle filled with nitrogen under a pressure of 1.5x10^7 Pa at a temperature of 27 ° C has a mass of 97 kg. Part of the nitrogen is consumed, so the pressure in the bottle, at a temperature of -3 ° C, is 6x10^6 Pa, and the weight of the bottle is 93.5 kg. How much mass of nitrogen is left in the bottle?
Relevant Equations
pxV = m/M x R x T
(R = 8.314 J/K x Mol and M= Molar mass of N2 ( 28 g/mol) )
Solution from the textbook:
solution.jpg
My work:
rad.jpg

I constantly get 1.55kg. I also tried dividing the first and the second equation (pxV=m/M x R x T with different values). How did they come up with the equation in the solution? Also, I am sorry if I posted it in the wrong place and didn't follow the rules of the forum, but I am new member. Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
You seem (as far as I can tell) to be calculating the volume of nitrogen that has been consumed, and equating it to the volume of nitrogen remaining, which makes no sense.

I haven't tried deriving the textbook equation, but did it like this:
The 6 MPa remaining at 270K corresponds to a pressure of 6.667 MPa at 300K.
This means that 8.333 MPa (at 300K) has been consumed, which has a mass of 3.5 kg.
6.667/8.333 = m2/3.5

Let ##n_1## represent the number of moles of N2 in the tank initially and let ##n_2=n_1-\frac{3500}{M}## represent the number of moles of N2 in the tank finally. Let V represent the volume of the tank. In terms of ##n_1## and V, write down the ideal gas relationship for the initial and final states.

Related to Problem related to the Ideal Gas equation -- Nitrogen under pressure

1. What is the Ideal Gas equation and how is it related to Nitrogen under pressure?

The Ideal Gas equation, also known as the Ideal Gas Law, is a mathematical equation that describes the behavior of ideal gases. It states that the pressure, volume, and temperature of an ideal gas are all directly proportional to each other. This equation is applicable to Nitrogen under pressure because Nitrogen is considered an ideal gas at certain temperatures and pressures.

2. Why is Nitrogen often used in pressurized systems?

Nitrogen is commonly used in pressurized systems because it is an inert gas, meaning it does not react with other substances. This makes it a safe and stable choice for pressurized environments. It is also readily available and relatively inexpensive.

3. What happens to Nitrogen when it is placed under high pressure?

As Nitrogen is compressed under high pressure, its volume decreases while its temperature and pressure increase. This follows the Ideal Gas equation, as the variables are all directly proportional. At extremely high pressures, Nitrogen can even become a liquid.

4. How does the Ideal Gas equation help us understand the behavior of Nitrogen under pressure?

The Ideal Gas equation allows us to calculate and predict the changes in pressure, volume, and temperature of Nitrogen when it is placed under pressure. This helps us understand how the gas will behave and how different variables will affect its properties.

5. Are there any limitations to the Ideal Gas equation when applied to Nitrogen under pressure?

While the Ideal Gas equation is a good approximation for the behavior of Nitrogen under pressure, it does not take into account the intermolecular forces and real gas effects that may occur at high pressures. Therefore, at extremely high pressures, the Ideal Gas equation may not accurately predict the behavior of Nitrogen.