Problem proving tension in string

In summary, our student has a homework problem that asks for a formula for the tension in a simple pendulum when the string makes an angle theta with the vertical. They were told to use a taylor polynomial and the formula for the total force on the string. They were also told to use conservation of energy to eliminate v^2 and replace it with cos(theta). They were able to solve for v(\theta) and found that v(\theta) is equal to sqrt{\frac{2g}{l}(cos\theta - cos\theta_{0})}.
Dracovich
Ok so i have a homework problem again :) This time it's a simple pendulum swing and the question is as follows:

"Prove that the tension in the string of a simple pendulum when the string makes an angle [tex]\theta[/tex] with the vertical is approximately [tex]mg(1 + \theta^2_0 - (3/2)\theta^2[/tex] where m is the mass of the bob and [tex]\theta_0[/tex] is the value of [tex]\theta[/tex] at the extremes of the motion."

Now our teacher gave us a bit of help, saying that we should use a taylor polynom to solve this, as well as the formula:

[tex]x(t) = x_0 * cos(\omega * t)[/tex]

Where [tex]x_0[/tex] is x (or s if you prefer) at the extremes of it's motion.

So i basicly want to find the formula for the total force on the string right? So i got the resultating forces:

[tex]F_{res} = mg*cos(\theta) + F_{string} = ma = m(v^2/r)[/tex]

And hence i isolate the force on the string

[tex]m(v^2/r) - mg*cos(\theta) = F_{string}[/tex]

I'm not entirely sure what to do next. I'm not sure if i should be making the Taylor Polynom out of

[tex]x(t) = x_0 * cos(\omega * t)[/tex]

Can i simplify that down to only cos(theta) ? That would be easy enough and could perhaps get that to fit the formula given in the question (i'm thinking maybe if i could do that i could replace v^2 in the above example with 2Ax and use the taylor polynom insted of x in the point theta_0 and then substitute cos(theta) with the taylor polynom of theta). Someone also tried to hint to me i should use the preservation of energy, but I'm not seeing where that should enter the picture.

If someone could perhaps nudge me in the right direction that would be great :eek: (now i just got to hope all that latex came through as intended).

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Dracovich said:
So i basicly want to find the formula for the total force on the string right? So i got the resultating forces:

[tex]F_{res} = mg*cos(\theta) + F_{string} = ma = m(v^2/r)[/tex]

And hence i isolate the force on the string

[tex]m(v^2/r) - mg*cos(\theta) = F_{string}[/tex]
Tip #1: Fix your signs. The radial component of the weight opposes the tension in the string.
Someone also tried to hint to me i should use the preservation of energy, but I'm not seeing where that should enter the picture.
Tip #2: Use conservation of energy to eliminate [itex]v^2[/itex]. Hint: find an expression for the KE in terms of [itex]cos\theta_0[/itex] and [itex]cos\theta[/itex].

Tip #3: Once you've eliminated [itex]v^2[/itex], replace all cos terms with the first two terms in its Taylor expansion.

Hint: You can find [itex]\frac {d \theta}{dt}[/itex] by integrating the equation of motion
[tex]\frac {d^2 \theta}{dt^2} = - \frac {g}{L} \sin \theta[/tex]
to find
[tex]\frac {d \theta}{dt} = \sqrt {\frac {2g}{L} (\cos \theta - \cos \theta_0)}[/tex]
[itex]L \times d\theta / dt[/itex] is the tangential velocity you need to calculate the centripetal force. You should end up with
[tex] T = 3 mg \cos \theta - 2mg \cos \theta_0[/tex]
which is exact, by the way, and you can now do a taylor expansion to get the approximation!

The concepts in this problem aren't too bad but the math may be a little intimidating. What you are trying to find in this problem is [tex]T = T(\theta)[/tex], the tension in the string as a function of the angle. You already correctly wrote down what this is:

[tex]T(\theta) = m\frac{v(\theta)^2}{l} - mg*cos\theta[/tex]

where [tex]v(\theta)[/tex] is the tangential velocity of the mass as a function of angle. At this point you don't know what [tex]v(\theta)[/tex] is. This is where conservation of energy is handy. Since only conservative forces (i.e. gravity) do work on the mass, energy is conserved. I will pick [tex]U = 0[/tex] where the string is connected to the ceiling. I will take

[tex]E_{initial} = -mglcos\theta_{0}[/tex]

where the mass is released from rest and

[tex]E_{final} = -mglcos\theta + \frac{1}{2}mv(\theta)^2[/tex]

Equating these two energies allows us to solve for [tex]v(\theta)[/tex]. Thus,

[tex]v(\theta) = \sqrt{\frac{2g}{l}(cos\theta - cos\theta_{0})}[/tex]

Plugging this back into the equation for the string tension gives

[tex]T = mg(3cos\theta - 2cos\theta_{0})[/tex]

At this point use the small angle approxmation where

[tex]cos\theta \approx 1 - \frac{1}{2}\theta^2[/tex]

That should get you the right answer.

Last edited:
Ok thanks guys, it's getting quite late here so i think i'll wait until tomorrow to look it all over and hopefully get the right answer :) Will report in with my findings to see if i got the right idea.

Ok so i just went through it and i seem to get it now.

I have

[tex]m(v^2/l) + mg*cos(\theta) = F_{string}[/tex]

Ok, here i had a bit of a problem, i couldn't find a sensible way to represent h in E=mgh, i'd imagine that it was the height from which the bob is raised from it's lowest position right? So i thought it'd be [tex] h=l-(cos(\theta)*l)[/tex], but that just gives me a lot of confusion :) I saw here above that you used mglcos(theta) to do it, and if i use that i can get the right answer. But i'd imagine that mglcos(theta) would give me l-h, but not h. If anyone could explain how that formula = h, i'd be golden :) Anyway, here's the rest of my calculations assuming that lcos(theta) = h

[tex]E(\theta_0) = -mglcos(\theta_0)[/tex]

Where the angle is at the extreme of it's motion where v=0, and

[tex]E(\theta) = -mglcos(\theta) + 1/2*mv^2[/tex]

At some other arbitrary point in the range of motion. Now the next step, I'm not quite sure you you guys managed to get 2g/l, but what i did to get what i wanted was:

[tex]E(\theta) = -mglcos(\theta) + 1/2*mv^2 = -mglcos(\theta_0)[/tex]
[tex]mglcos(\theta)-mglcos(theta_0) = 1/2*mv^2 [/tex]
[tex]2glcos(\theta)-2glcos(\theta_0) = v^2 [/tex]
[tex] 2g(cos(\theta) - cos(\theta_0)) = v^2/l[/tex]

So now i have a formula for v^2/l, so i pop that into the formula i had before and get

[tex]F_{string} = m*(2g(cos(\theta) - cos(\theta_0)) + mgcos(\theta) [/tex]

[tex]2mgcos(\theta) - 2mgcos(\theta_0) + mgcos(\theta) = F_{string} [/tex]
[tex]mg(3mgcos(\theta)-2mgcos(\theta_0)) = F_{string} [/tex]
so now if i prop the taylor approximation for theta=0 into this i get:
[tex] mg(3 - 3 * \theta^2/2 -2 + \theta^2_0/2) = F_{string} [/tex]
[tex]mg(1 + \theta^2_0 - 3/2*\theta^2) = F_{string}[/tex]

phew that was a lot of texing, but assuming [tex]mglcos(\theta)[/tex] is right, and I'm just not seeing it o_O, this should be good :)

Last edited:
Dracovich said:
[tex]m(v^2/l) + mg*cos(\theta) = F_{string}[/tex]
Right.
Ok, here i had a bit of a problem, i couldn't find a sensible way to represent h in E=mgh, i'd imagine that it was the height from which the bob is raised from it's lowest position right? So i thought it'd be [tex] h=l-(cos(\theta)*l)[/tex], but that just gives me a lot of confusion :)
It shouldn't. But it doesn't matter where you measure the potential energy from, as long as you do it consistently. Using the lowest point as your zero, the initial PE is [itex]mg(l - l cos\theta_0)[/itex]. So the KE at angle [itex]\theta[/itex] is [tex]1/2 mv^2 = mg(l - l cos\theta_0) - mg(l - l cos\theta)[/tex] , which simplifies nicely.

I saw here above that you used mglcos(theta) to do it, and if i use that i can get the right answer. But i'd imagine that mglcos(theta) would give me l-h, but not h. If anyone could explain how that formula = h, i'd be golden :) Anyway, here's the rest of my calculations assuming that lcos(theta) = h

[tex]E(\theta_0) = -mglcos(\theta_0)[/tex]
Nothing wrong with this. Note your use of the minus sign. You are effectively taking the pivot point as your zero of PE. No problem!

Right you are, they do go out if i measure l-cos(theta)*l. I guess i should've followed that one through, i just looked at it and it looked like i'd have a lot of variables i couldn't get out of the way. But ok it all looks good now and i think i understand it all good now. Thanks a bunch guys.

Related to Problem proving tension in string

1. What is tension in a string?

Tension in a string is the pulling force exerted by the string when it is stretched between two points. It is also known as the restoring force, as it tries to bring the string back to its original state.

2. How is tension in a string measured?

Tension in a string can be measured using a tension meter, which measures the amount of force required to stretch the string. It can also be calculated using the formula T = F / A, where T is tension, F is the applied force, and A is the cross-sectional area of the string.

3. What factors affect the tension in a string?

The tension in a string can be affected by various factors such as the length and thickness of the string, the material it is made of, and the amount of force applied to it. The tension also increases as the string is stretched further.

4. How does tension in a string affect its behavior?

The tension in a string affects its behavior in several ways. It determines the frequency of vibration, the speed at which waves travel through the string, and the pitch produced by a string instrument. It also affects the amount of weight a string can support without breaking.

5. How can tension in a string be used to solve problems?

Tension in a string can be used to solve problems involving motion, such as calculating the acceleration of an object attached to a string or determining the forces acting on an object suspended by a string. It can also be used in engineering and construction to determine the strength and stability of structures.