Problem on centripetal acceleration and friction

In summary, the problem involves a nickel on a spinning turntable and finding the minimum coefficient of friction to keep it on the turntable. The relevant equations are centripetal force and frictional force, but the problem may be unsolvable without knowing the mass of the nickel. The second problem involves a cannon shooting a cannonball with a cross-wind acting on it, and the goal is to determine where the ball landed. To solve this, the vertical and horizontal components of the velocity should be found, along with the time of flight using the vertical component and acceleration due to gravity. The direction of the wind in the problem is unclear.
vicviper89
Suppose a nickel sits on a flat turntable that spins at 78 rpm (revolutions per minute) while sitting on a horizontal surface. The nickel is 15 cm from the center of the turntable. What is the minimum coefficient of friction that keeps the nickel on the turntable?

Relevant equations: I am not sure which equations to use, to be honest. I know it involves calculating centripetal force and frictional force.

This problem has stumped me all day. I believe it is unsolvable without knowing the mass of the nickel. I know a US nickel weighs 5 grams, but I do not know if we're supposed to assume that.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi vicviper89, welcome to PF.
Identify the forces acting on the nickel. You have mentioned two. What is the third force?
Write down the equations for centripetal force and the frictional force. To keep the nickel at rest, the net force must be zero. Using this condition find μ.

Thanks for your help, I figured out that I had to set the two equations equal to each other and found out that the centripetal force is greater than the frictional force, which means it always slides. In effect meaning that the problem has no solution and my gut reaction was right.

I have a new problem now:

A Cannon shoots a cannonball with a mass of 3kg at a angle of 36 degrees with the flat ground. It has an initial velocity of 45m/s. The ball travels through the air with a cross-wind acting on it. The cross-wind applies a force of 200N to the ball acting at 90 degrees to the original direction of motion over the entire duration of flight. Can you determine where the ball landed?

Once again, I have trouble figuring out which equations I need. Our formula sheet is poorly written and doesn't define any variables so I have no clue what means what.

Your explanation of the first problem is not clear.
In the second problem, find the vertical and horizontal components of the velocity.
Using the vertical component and acceleration due to gravity, find the time of flight.
In the problem the direction of wind is not clear. Is it perpendicular to horizontal component of velocity?

Related to Problem on centripetal acceleration and friction

What is centripetal acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration that an object experiences when it moves in a circular path. It is always directed towards the center of the circle and its magnitude depends on the object's speed and the radius of the circle.

How is centripetal acceleration related to friction?

Friction is the force that opposes motion between two surfaces in contact. In the case of circular motion, friction provides the necessary centripetal force to keep the object moving in a circular path. Without friction, the object would move in a straight line tangent to the circle.

What is the formula for calculating centripetal acceleration?

The formula for calculating centripetal acceleration is a = v^2 / r, where v is the speed of the object and r is the radius of the circle. This formula can also be written as a = ω^2 * r, where ω is the angular velocity of the object in radians per second.

How does centripetal acceleration affect the motion of an object?

Centripetal acceleration causes an object to constantly change direction, but not speed, as it moves in a circular path. This means that the object is accelerating, but not necessarily speeding up. The direction of the acceleration is always towards the center of the circle.

Can centripetal acceleration be negative?

No, centripetal acceleration cannot be negative. It is always directed towards the center of the circle and its magnitude is always positive. However, the direction of the velocity of the object can change, resulting in a change in the direction of the centripetal acceleration. This can make it appear as though the centripetal acceleration is negative, but in reality, it is just changing direction.