What is the ideal wavelength for propagation in optic fibres?

In summary, the ideal wavelength for propagation in optic fibres is the wavelength at which light absorption losses are minimum and the fibre has its greatest transparency. This is also the wavelength at which Rayleigh scattering is greatest and total internal reflection occurs. Additionally, the number of modes is at a minimum at this wavelength. This is because minimal dispersion occurs at this wavelength, making it ideal for sending short pulses without losing their integrity.
Neural
I was asked this question

Why is there an ideal wavelength for propagation in optic fibres?

a. Light absorption losses are minimum
b. The fibre has its greatest transparency at the ideal wavelength
c. Rayleigh scattering is greatest at this wavelength
d. Total internal reflection occurs only at this wavelength
e. The number of modes is at a minimum only at this wavelength

with these possible answers anyone know what ones they are I can't find out.

thanx

Science news on Phys.org
I really don't know why anyone would want one wavelength at all. Wavelength division multiplexing rocks.

maybe I should have worded it differently

Why is there an ideal wavelength for propagation in optic fibres?

how about "Out of these possible answers which ones give the ideal wavelength for propagation in optic fibres?"

I would guess "a", since light absorption is based on wavelength. So there would be a wavelength at which absorption losses are minimum for the given material.

its ok I found them its a and b thanks anyways:wink:

Actually, the biggest reason is minimal dispersion. Most fibers have their minimal loss at 1300 nm. Operation is usually at 1500 nm though because the dispersion is minimum there. This means very short pulses will lose their integrity more slowly.

Njorl

Originally posted by Njorl
Actually, the biggest reason is minimal dispersion. Most fibers have their minimal loss at 1300 nm. Operation is usually at 1500 nm though because the dispersion is minimum there. This means very short pulses will lose their integrity more slowly.

Njorl

I'm not getting something here. Could you tell me what is dispersing if the light is monochromatic? OR do you mean that for wavelengths near 1500 nm (say 1490 to 1510 nm) there is little dispersion?

The signals are made of short pulses. The shorter you can make a pulse, the more info you can send. But when you start getting to very short pulses, the true nature of the lightwave starts to cause problems.

A monochromatic lightwave must be infinitely long. This may surprise you. If it is finite, it is actually the superposition of many waves. If it is many wavelengths long, then almost all the signal is in a frequency that looks like a simple monochromatic source. If it is a short pulse, a significant amount of energy will be in a noticeably different wavelengths (though still pretty close to the fundamental frequency). If you want to keep the integrity of the pulsetrain, all of these different wavelengths should travel at the same speed. In other words, dispersion should be minimized.

Njorl

This is intriguing. I'm going to look at this closer. Thanks.

1. What is the principle behind the propagation of light in optic fibres?

The principle behind the propagation of light in optic fibres is total internal reflection. This means that when light enters the fibre at a specific angle, it is completely reflected and continues to travel down the fibre without any loss of intensity.

2. What factors affect the propagation of light in optic fibres?

The main factors that affect the propagation of light in optic fibres are the material and design of the fibre, the wavelength of the light, and the angle at which the light enters the fibre. Other factors such as temperature and external forces can also have an impact.

3. How does the index of refraction affect light propagation in optic fibres?

The index of refraction is a measure of how much a material slows down the speed of light passing through it. In optic fibres, a higher index of refraction allows for more efficient propagation of light as it increases the number of total internal reflections.

4. What is the difference between single-mode and multi-mode fibres in terms of light propagation?

Single-mode fibres have a smaller core size and only allow one mode of light to propagate through the fibre. This results in less dispersion and allows for longer distances to be covered. Multi-mode fibres, on the other hand, have a larger core and allow for multiple modes of light to propagate, resulting in more dispersion and shorter distances.

5. How does attenuation affect light propagation in optic fibres?

Attenuation is the loss of light intensity as it travels through the fibre. This is mainly caused by absorption and scattering of light within the fibre. Attenuation can affect the distance and speed at which light can travel through the fibre, and can be reduced by using materials with lower attenuation coefficients.