Exploding black holes rain down on Earth

In summary, scientists are interested in the behavior of super-small black holes because they are at the crux between quantum mechanics and special relativity. The black holes would be invisible and have a mass of only 10 micrograms. They would explode in a burst of particles within around a billion-billion-billionth of a second. If the black hole was to suck in nearby matter, it would require a critical density of matter which doesn't exist in known celestial bodies.
Physics news on Phys.org
Part of what's fascinating to me is the rate at which these black holes dissipate; that they are so small, and their massive gravity extended for so short a distance that it is virtually impossible for them to come into contact with another particle so that they actually grow.

But I do wonder, does the existing model actually give a non-zero probability that they will grow? Or is there some other contraint as to why they do not absorb another nearby particle (thus making this probability actually zero)?

Originally posted by Soveraign
Part of what's fascinating to me is the rate at which these black holes dissipate; that they are so small, and their massive gravity extended for so short a distance that it is virtually impossible for them to come into contact with another particle so that they actually grow.

But I do wonder, does the existing model actually give a non-zero probability that they will grow? Or is there some other contraint as to why they do not absorb another nearby particle (thus making this probability actually zero)?

As black holes get smaller, they radiate higher energy photons, and 'evaporate' more rapidly. That means that it's very unlikely for a small black hole to stay around for very long at all, and the mass of a stray molecule or two in the air will probably not tip the balance to make them large enough to start sucking in air.

AFAIK, the behavior of super-small black holes is extremely interesting to scientists because it is at a crux between Qantum Mechanics and Special relativity which both make different assumptions about the universe, and both make very good predicitions.

I'm aware of the evaporation of black holes (at any size) and the fact they have such a short life time on that small scale that they are not expected to suck in nearby particles. What I'm curious about though is that probability actually zero or only nearly zero? Or, even if it isn't quite zero, the density of matter in the atmosphere just isn't enough no matter what the circumstance to cause the thing to grow (which I suspect is closer to the truth considering we are still around :) ).

If that is the case, then what, exactly, would be the critical density of matter to cause a super-small black hole, created possibly from some stray high energy particle, to successfully suck in nearby matter? Would such a condition exist inside known celestial bodies?

OR, are the mechanics at that level such that it is quite litterally impossible for a nearby particle to actually get close enough to be sucked in, thus the question of critical density being irrelavent?

I'm curious if anyone has attempted to work out some theoretical predictions? (something possibly testable by the LHC)

These black holes would be invisibly small, with a mass of only 10 micrograms or so. And they would be so unstable that they would explode in a burst of particles within around a billion-billion-billionth of a second.

Why wouldn't these be detected by radio observatories since they explode at such a rate?

Last edited:

1. What is an exploding black hole?

An exploding black hole, also known as a gamma-ray burst, is a powerful burst of high-energy radiation that is emitted from a collapsing star or a merging black hole.

2. Can exploding black holes actually rain down on Earth?

Yes, it is possible for exploding black holes to rain down on Earth. However, the chances of this happening are extremely low, as most gamma-ray bursts occur in distant galaxies.

3. How far away would an exploding black hole need to be for it to affect Earth?

To have a significant effect on Earth, an exploding black hole would need to be within a few thousand light-years of our planet. However, as mentioned before, most gamma-ray bursts occur in distant galaxies.

4. What kind of damage can an exploding black hole cause on Earth?

If an exploding black hole were to occur near Earth, it could potentially cause damage to our ozone layer, disrupt our magnetic field, and even affect our climate. However, the chances of this happening are very slim.

5. Is there any way to protect ourselves from exploding black holes?

Currently, there is no known way to protect ourselves from exploding black holes. However, with ongoing research and advancements in technology, we may be able to detect and predict these events in the future, allowing us to take necessary precautions.