Is it possible Earth is a black hole?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of Earth being a black hole with data encoded on its surface. However, it is determined that this is not possible due to the Earth reflecting light, which black holes do not do. Additionally, it is noted that the Earth is too big and not heavy enough to be a black hole based on the Schwarzschild Radius. The conversation ends with the thread being temporarily closed for moderation.
DIGBY STILLS
Yes I know. Sounds silly. I'm not a physicist, but it occurred to me to wonder: is it possible Earth is a black hole with data encoded in two dimensions on its surface? What would the proofs look like?

Discuss.

Physics news on Phys.org
DIGBY STILLS said:
is it possible Earth is a black hole
No. Earth reflects light. Black holes don't, since light can't escape from them. EDIT: See e.g. Measuring Earth's Albedo.

DennisN said:
No. Earth reflects light.
And this appearance of reflection couldn't be part of the encoding? I promise I'm not being flippant. Susskind explains that to the person entrapped beyond the threshold of the black hole, all seems fine. Outside the event horizon, all seems lost, but within it, there is no change. At least not initially. Is it possible that from here, we see things as they would normally seem as the information is encoded on the surface? I know. Funny questions.

DIGBY STILLS said:
Susskind explains that to the person entrapped beyond the threshold of the black hole, all seems fine.
I know what you are talking about, black hole thermodynamics and the holographic principle. The holographic principle is theoretical physics. But I address your question from a more practical viewpoint:

Let's assume you are on the Moon and you have got a powerful flashlight. Also assume there's a nearby black hole. If you shine that flashlight on the black hole, it will not reflect any light, the light will enter the black hole and not escape. But if you shine the flashlight on Earth, part of the light will be reflected. Thus, the Earth is not a black hole.

Furthermore: The Earth can not be a black hole, it is too big and not heavy enough to be one. See The Schwarzschild Radius (HyperPhysics). EDIT: I haven't made the calculation myself but according to the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schwarzschild_radius#Parameters Earth's Schwarzschild Radius is about 9mm, that is, if the Earth had a radius of 9 mm it would be a black hole.

Likes davenn
Thread closed temporarily for Moderation...

DennisN has covered pretty much all the ground here: there is no way that the Earth can be a black hole. We know from the equations of general relativity what properties a black hole has, and the Earth doesn't have these properties.

The thread will remain closed, as there's no better answer than has already been provided.

Related to Is it possible Earth is a black hole?

1. Is it possible for Earth to be a black hole?

No, it is not possible for Earth to be a black hole. Black holes are formed when stars collapse under their own gravitational force, and Earth does not have enough mass to undergo this process.

2. What is a black hole?

A black hole is a region in space where the gravitational pull is so strong that even light cannot escape from it. It is formed when a massive star dies and its core collapses, creating a super dense and compact object with an intense gravitational field.

3. How do scientists study black holes?

Scientists study black holes by observing their effects on the matter and light around them. This can be done through telescopes, X-ray detectors, and other advanced technologies. They also use mathematical models and simulations to understand the behavior of black holes.

4. Can black holes be found on Earth?

No, black holes cannot be found on Earth. They can only exist in outer space, and Earth does not have the conditions necessary for a black hole to form.

5. Are there different types of black holes?

Yes, there are different types of black holes. The most common types are stellar black holes, which are formed from the collapse of a massive star, and supermassive black holes, which are found at the centers of galaxies and have masses millions or billions of times greater than the sun. There are also smaller types of black holes, such as primordial black holes, which are believed to have formed in the early universe.